August 17, 2019, 03:33:50 PM

Author Topic: Are we a playoff team?  (Read 17366 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Are we a playoff team?
« on: October 23, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »
I know conventional wisdom is we'll continue to get better as the year goes on, but is that true?

- Our QB is playing at middle of the road statue.
- Our WR's have been very average and sort of broke out against a very depleted Bears defense
- Our defense has been the bright spot this year, especially in the front 7. Yet we were manhandled by Dallas, a true running test, our only one this year.
- Our CB situation is a mess. Shields is probably done and Rollins and Randall both were struggling mightily prior to the groin injuries.

In my opinion short of the first two things turning around in a hurry we're going to struggle to make the playoffs. We are probably going to be underdogs in the following games: @ Atlanta, @ Washington, @ Philadelphia, Seattle and Minnesota. Possibly be dogs @ Detroit in the final game of the season. We need to win at least 3 of those games with no hiccups in the games we go in as the favorite.

Please tell me where I'm wrong, because I'm not seeing it this year.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: Are we a playoff team?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
With our secondary being bang up and the fact that we have one of the leagues worst offenses, I'm not sure we're a playoff team. We've yet to put together a full game on offense and I'm not sure we've got an offensive staff capable of doing so.  While we looked good for a half against a  putrid Chicago team on Thursday, the other half we looked every bit their equal.  Thankfully that wasn't a good team or we'd have been destroyed.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:06:03 PM »
I think we'll make the playoffs.  In fact, I think we could yet win the North given the state of the Vikings offensive line.  (Bradford was hit 19 times today.) 

Looking at the schedule, I'd put us at 6 more wins.  10 wins usually gets a team into the playoffs. 

I do think that's besides the point, though.  Unless MM dusts off his 2012-2014 offensive playbook this team simply won't win in the playoffs. 

Dallas is clearly better right now.  The Vikings are probably our equal until they fix their offensive line.  The Eagles are a threat with a decent OL, good core of skill players, and a defense on the rise.  The Falcons are about to show us what a real passing game looks like next week.  The Seahawks are never an easy out.  Even if we somehow pull it together just look over at the AFC and they've got some reaaaally good teams.  The Pats are back.  Denver's defense is nuts.  The Raiders are the AFC's version of the Eagles.  Not to mention the Chiefs & Chargers (lost 3 games they should have won). 

If we had this defense back in 2011 & 2012 I think we would have won 3 in a row.  I really, really like the talent on the defensive side of the ball.  We have depth (although it is being tested at CB) and we have the horses up front to make things challenging for any QB. 

Right now, though, I think its Dallas and Minnesota in the NFC title game.  Like SSG said, we struggled to put away one of the worst teams in the league.  Until we see a convincing win vs. the Vikings, Seahawks, or Falcons I just don't see it this year. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
I think we'll make the playoffs.  In fact, I think we could yet win the North given the state of the Vikings offensive line.  (Bradford was hit 19 times today.) 

Looking at the schedule, I'd put us at 6 more wins.  10 wins usually gets a team into the playoffs. 

I do think that's besides the point, though.  Unless MM dusts off his 2012-2014 offensive playbook this team simply won't win in the playoffs. 

Dallas is clearly better right now.  The Vikings are probably our equal until they fix their offensive line.  The Eagles are a threat with a decent OL, good core of skill players, and a defense on the rise.  The Falcons are about to show us what a real passing game looks like next week.  The Seahawks are never an easy out.  Even if we somehow pull it together just look over at the AFC and they've got some reaaaally good teams.  The Pats are back.  Denver's defense is nuts.  The Raiders are the AFC's version of the Eagles.  Not to mention the Chiefs & Chargers (lost 3 games they should have won). 

If we had this defense back in 2011 & 2012 I think we would have won 3 in a row.  I really, really like the talent on the defensive side of the ball.  We have depth (although it is being tested at CB) and we have the horses up front to make things challenging for any QB. 

Right now, though, I think its Dallas and Minnesota in the NFC title game. Like SSG said, we struggled to put away one of the worst teams in the league.  Until we see a convincing win vs. the Vikings, Seahawks, or Falcons I just don't see it this year.

Think your short selling Seattle a little.  While they aren't an offensive power house they've got one of the 3 best defenses in the league and I believe their offense is good enough to get them there.  They tend to be a slow starter and they are the second best coached team in the NFL.  Like in the last couple seasons, I think we could see their offense get hot as its showed signs.

I know defense wins championships, but I've been really impressed with the Falcons.  Their offense is super impressive and deep.  I find myself being super jealous of them having Kyle Shanahan.

Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:18:26 PM »
A lot of season left...

It doesn't matter what we are *now*  - it really matters what we are at the end of the regular season. 

I would be surprised if we don't win 10.  I still think 11-5 is where we will be.  Then we will see if we can execute in the post season.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:45:42 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline walker16

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
Get healthy in the 2nd half of the season, yes we are a playoff team.
How deep of a run? To early yet.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
The Packers have made the playoffs for the last seven years. They should win ten or eleven games, and considering the amount of teams that make the playoffs, and the state of the league, yes, they'll make the playoffs. In 2010, they went 10-6; as late as mid-December, they had a record of 8-6. Would anyone have bet they'd be in the SB that year, much less win it? R-E-L-A-X. Enjoy the drama, the spectacle, the thrills and frustrations of being a football fan. And count your blessings- you could be a Browns fan, for goodness sake.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
Dallas is clearly better right now.
I don't think I'm ready to admit that Dallas is better than we are.  They were clearly better than us on October 16th.  But that could have been an "any given Sunday" type of thing, because we clearly didn't play up to our potential in that game.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I think we'll make the playoffs, and I expect our offense to continue to improve.  A lot of this depends on McCarthy, and whether or not he is open minded and clever enough to adapt the playbook to the players we have and what they are able to do.  I don't think Rodgers will be at his best without McCarthy putting him in the position to perform.  There have been some signs that McCarthy is finally coming around to the idea of getting away from what hasn't been working.

Aside from the injury problems with the secondary, I think most of us would expect us to be strong Super Bowl contenders if we could get a defense as good as what we have right now.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »
The Falcons blew a big lead and lost to a terrible Chargers team. The Vikings got trounced by Philly. Arizona and Seattle played to a 6-6 tie in a historically ugly prime time game. I strongly believe we will make the playoffs.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
The Falcons blew a big lead and lost to a terrible Chargers team.

San Diego is a couple really bad breaks away from easily being 5-2.  Don't think that's completely fair to label them as a terrible team.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »
The Falcons blew a big lead and lost to a terrible Chargers team.

San Diego is a couple really bad breaks away from easily being 5-2.  Don't think that's completely fair to label them as a terrible team.

Ehhh, I see your point. But they were 4-12 last year and I don't see how they're much better this year. Those bad breaks you mentioned were rather self inflicted, no?

Anyway, my point was more about the number of NFC teams whose fanbases are surely just as down on their squads as we are right now.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »
Yes, but with big holes that need to addressed.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Striker

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
The NFC is pretty close. Minny and Seattle both have terrible offensive lines. Defenses are playing Wilson like they're playing Rodgers and he's struggling right now. Philly has a tough remaining schedule.

The Cowboys MIGHT be the most balanced right now even though their defense might be the worst of the playoff teams.

The Packers have shown that they can hang with all of these teams so far. If they play smart, they can snatch wins off of some combo of the Falcons/Eagles/Seahawks and be in good position.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:59:01 AM by Striker »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
no.

Not one single NFL team has clinched the playoffs. Or completely eliminated themselves. There are still 32 choose 12 possibilities, which is 225,792,840 possibilities.

On the plus side, that's only a little worse than the chances of winning the lottery. That completely dwarves the probability of proteins or RNA evolving by chance. So if you believe in evolution by random chance, what the heck, sure we're a playoff team. Or not.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:13:26 AM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »

Right now, though, I think its Dallas and Minnesota in the NFC title game. Like SSG said, we struggled to put away one of the worst teams in the league.  Until we see a convincing win vs. the Vikings, Seahawks, or Falcons I just don't see it this year.

Think your short selling Seattle a little.  While they aren't an offensive power house they've got one of the 3 best defenses in the league and I believe their offense is good enough to get them there.  They tend to be a slow starter and they are the second best coached team in the NFL.  Like in the last couple seasons, I think we could see their offense get hot as its showed signs.

I know defense wins championships, but I've been really impressed with the Falcons.  Their offense is super impressive and deep.  I find myself being super jealous of them having Kyle Shanahan.

Seattle was lucky to get out of the desert last night with a tie.  If we think MN's O line is a mess we have to include Seattle in this discussion.  Yes, defense wins championships but is Seattle's defense today as good as it once was?  The Falcons have the second worst passing defense in the league.  If we don't screw up with turnovers and costly penalties we can get a win in Atlanta next Sunday.  Julio will get his yards.  He does that against everybody.  If AR could get yards against a far better pass D in Chicago's he should have even more success against Atlanta.  Don't believe me?  Check this: 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Chicago's pass D is about average.  Let's hope last Thursday was a sign Rodgers is coming out of his funk.  If not then we will struggle to keep up with that explosive offense.