September 25, 2018, 10:10:23 PM

Author Topic: NFL Field Conditions  (Read 872 times)

Antonio Andolini

NFL Field Conditions
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
It is inconceivable that the NFL allows fields to degrade the way they do at certain stadiums (Chi, SF, DC). This was a problem at Lambeau Field until they put in the DD grassmaster field. I'm amazed at how well it has held up. I heard they also do a combination of heated cover/grow lights that keeps the grass from going dormant. I've seen fairways in summer that don't look as good as "The Frozen Tundra" looks right now. I assume our high tech turf is significantly more expensive than plain old grass but the NFL isn't short off cash. I'm guessing it is a tricky issue with who actually owns the stadium and who is responsible for paying for field maintenance. Pittsburgh has also had issues in the past, having Pitt play their home games there also, doubles the amount of wear and tear on the field. Stadiums shouldn't be allowed to hold concerts, monster truck rallies, motor cross, or anything else that could damage the field after August 1. If they want to, they need to have a field in place that can handle the abuse. The technology clearly exists, it's time for the NFL to mandate a certain standard that must be met. Both player safety and the quality of the games played depends on it.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
Re: NFL Field Conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see better fields ..but at the expense of monster truck rallies?

J/K, I agree on all points.  Seems like common sense for business with so much revenue and an alleged laser-like focus on player safety.