October 13, 2019, 04:32:22 PM

Author Topic: Your Dream #1  (Read 9942 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Your Dream #1
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 04:37:50 AM »
Also a big fan of Jabril Peppers from Michigan. Everyone gets on him about his technique and overall coverage skills, but he's a baller. I would personally, try him out at Corner first before Safety. His issues are purely technique and not being comfortable. Give him one position and a set of skills to work on and I see him flourishing. I like him at Safety better initially, but I think he's got the chance to be a shutdown corner. Then again, the last thing Green Bay needs is another project at CB.

It's a good year for DBs, but there aren't any like Peppers. He's the diamond in the rough, acknowledged that he's a diamond, but after inspection he's not the right "cut." Ted doesn't make crazy moves on draft day, so I see Peppers slipping through his hands even if he's available.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
Also a big fan of Jabril Peppers from Michigan. Everyone gets on him about his technique and overall coverage skills, but he's a baller. I would personally, try him out at Corner first before Safety. His issues are purely technique and not being comfortable. Give him one position and a set of skills to work on and I see him flourishing. I like him at Safety better initially, but I think he's got the chance to be a shutdown corner. Then again, the last thing Green Bay needs is another project at CB.

It's a good year for DBs, but there aren't any like Peppers. He's the diamond in the rough, acknowledged that he's a diamond, but after inspection he's not the right "cut." Ted doesn't make crazy moves on draft day, so I see Peppers slipping through his hands even if he's available.

Really good thought.

If he really runs a 4.34 forty like Michigan claims, I don't think he would be nearly as much of a conversion project as Randall.  Peppers is a much more physical player, and I suspect would be extremely effective in press coverage, with the speed to catch up if he gets behind.

Alas, I don't think he lasts until we pick. :(
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »

Really good thought.

If he really runs a 4.34 forty like Michigan claims, I don't think he would be nearly as much of a conversion project as Randall.  Peppers is a much more physical player, and I suspect would be extremely effective in press coverage, with the speed to catch up if he gets behind.

He's, quite possibly, a top 20 pick.

I like Desmond King, but I also like Chidobe Awuzie of Colorado and think he could be had in the 2nd round by GB.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »

Really good thought.

He's, quite possibly, a top 20 pick.

I like Desmond King, but I also like Chidobe Awuzie of Colorado and think he could be had in the 2nd round by GB.

King, Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are 3 of my favorite CBs in this year's draft.  All were shut down CBs in college and I believe all of them could be had after the first.

I'm as big of a fan of Peppers as anyone, but I don't see him transitioning to being a shut down CB in the NFL.  He came to Michigan as a boundary CB and struggled in man to man coverage.  I think teams will be able to utilize his athleticism more if he's in the middle of the field playing S.  If he was playing CB, I'd rather see him in the slot. More of a Charles Woodson-esk type of roll (late in his career). 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
The further we fall down the draft board and the more I watch our secondary, the more I want Desmond King. 

King will fall down draft boards throughout the testing process.  Others will have more length or speed.  Potential.  I'm afraid that P word is what brought us two marginal at best CB's that Ted used prime draft picks on.  Some draft "experts" want to see King at FS.  Why?  Because he hits like one. 

King is a football player that can do EVERYTHING.  Micah Hyde with much more athleticism and a touch more strength.  People are going to doubt King's ability to match up on the boundary with faster receivers.  I'm not concerned.  Gunter ran 4.64 and 4.66 in his 40.

I agree. King is number one on my wish list. He's a pure corner with great technique and ball skills. With you on his speed as well, I actually think he'll run pretty well, low 4.5s. Fast enough with great recognition and anticipation will always be better than just fast. Just like you can't teach speed, you can't teach instincts. Some guys just have that innate feel for the game and he has it.

Green Bay has a history of drafting Iowa players, so the chances are good if he's available. I personally, think he'll go before guys like Jalen Tabor and Sidney Jones. I don't think many of the top DBs are going to overshadow his athleticism. Humphrey might be the only one who really separates from the rest of the prospects.

Gunter is actually pretty slow. He can play over the top technique and still get beat by a fast WR. His lack of speed lets QBs throw their WRs open more easily. I like him, but his lack of speed is an issue. Seriously, if he ran in the 4.5s he'd be a much better cover corner. He lacks deep speed and recovery speed. If he gets beat at the line, he's burnt toast. His speed really limits what he can do.

As I've said before, I like Chidobe Awuzie of Colorado. But, I also like Desmond King.

cbssports.com lists Desmond King as the #61 (over-all) player and Chidobe Awuzie as the #77.

Either would be good choices for the Packers in the 2nd round.

2016 stats:

Desmond King -
5-11/203
58 tackles (42 solo / 16 assists)
3 INT's (1 TD)
3.5 TFL's
7 Passes Defensed
1 FF
26 Punt Returns (10.15 yds/return)
27 KO-Returns (27.78 yds/return)

Chidobe Awuzie -
6-0/205
65 tackles (53 solo / 12 assists)
1 INT
6 TFL's
12 Passes Defensed
4 Sacks & 3 QB hurries
2 FF
1 Blocked Kick

Obviously both players are talented.
Both players show special teams ability.

The only differentiating point I would make is that Awuzie did his work in the pass-happy PAC-12. Not sure that separates him from King, but it's just a point I'm making.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
Dream 1st round pick, regardless of any basis in reality?  - Miles Garrett of course.

Reality? - I'll take Charles Harris, DE/OLB from Missouri, who should be available when the packers actually pick at the end of the 1st round.

I know everybody says pick a CB, and I get it - the packers need some speed there, but pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. It all starts up front.

Offline b0ss24

• Rookie
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
a couple thoughts

1. Ive seen king mentioned a few times as more of a safety pick witch I'm thinking hes on the slower side and why didn't he come out last year when he could of yes i view him like Micah Hyde good at alot of things but not great. top of the 3rd round pick

2 by the way Gunter was a shut down corner at Miami the reason why he went undrafted is he ran 4.76 at the combine and looks like the pack like slow corners IE rollins and randell maybe we should draft corners instead of basketball players and safety's to play corner.

3. i dint know whats worst TT standing pat not bringing in veterans to help on defence Dom capers defence looking lost twice tonight on 3rd down both were 1st downs. you know the pack have drafted defence 9 of the last 11 in the 1st round since they drafted arid under ted and it seems like the drafts are always defence heavy. so either ted cant draft defence well or Dom's defencive scheme just sucks and you probably want to waste next years there with them. the only thing ill give Dom this year is alot of injury's.

so getting to my wish list a new d coordinator first to much off coverage and speed all around!!!!!

as for the draft here are a few i would like to see

Quincy Wilson*, CB, Florida -- upside redshirt sophomore
Sidney Jones*, CB, Washington -- technician
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado -- i agree
Fabian Moreau, CB UCLA -- size and documented 4.3 speed
Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State -- he can do it all Evan blitz pick up true dream
Alvin Kamara*, RB, Tennessee --  he can do it all Evan blitz pick up
D'Onta Foreman*, RB, Texas --  they say low 4.5 if that's the case great
Joe Mixon**, RB, Oklahoma --  (They wont because off the Field but on hes great)
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama -- size speed decent blocker but limited production
David Njoku**, TE, Miami  -- size and speed
Bucky Hodges*, TE, Virginia Tech -- jimmy graham clone

yes i know DE/olber are needed i would try and fill in free agency or resign our own so my first three rounds would be ---  Alvin Kamara --- David Njoku -- Fabian Moreau

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 05:16:22 AM »
a guy I want AFTER the 1st.   
Tanoh Kpassagnon.   This kid is going to be a game changer

When all is said and done, I think if we want Tanoh Kpassagnon, we'll have to take him in the first round. 

He could be what Datone Jones never turned out to be.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 05:19:45 AM »
TJ Watt...

I'm not sold on Watt as a 34 rush LB.  Great pedigree, great motor, lives for football - all good qualities.  However, he doesn't seem like the kind of body that can get LOW on an OT to get around the corner.  More of a 43 OLB IMO.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »
First priority- Best available pass rusher.
Second priority- Best available pass defender.
Third priority-See #1
Fourth priority- See #2
Repeat until draft is over.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33:38 PM »
RB: Dalvin Cook - Florida State - 6'0" - 215 lbs.

Even if they had to trade up to get him, this would be a coup. The top of the NFC is an arms race right now. Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks and Cardinals are brimming with offensive talent. The Packers are LOADED at WR, have a game changing TE if Cook comes back and have an all purpose utility RB/WR hybrid in Montgomery. . . but they lack a game-breaking workhorse RB. Dalvin Cook is the perfect combination of size, speed, power and vision for this offense. He's as comfortable running up the middle behind a FB as he is running stretch zone from a spread offense. He would give the Packers an element in the backfield that Rodgers has never had - the ability to break away on any given run.

While it's easy to target pass rushers and cornerbacks. . . I still think that a stud RB is the #1 need for this team moving forward. I think adding one of Fournette (pipe dream), Cook (possible trade options if he slides) or McCaffrey (less ideal, but intriguing in his versatility) would be the best thing for the first round. After the QBs, DL, OL and WRs all improve their stock, I'm hoping Cook falls just far enough for the Packers to move up to get him. This offense needs speed and versatility. He offers both in spades.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 09:16:44 AM »

Even if they had to trade up to get him, this would be a coup. The top of the NFC is an arms race right now. Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks and Cardinals are brimming with offensive talent. The Packers are LOADED at WR, have a game changing TE if Cook comes back and have an all purpose utility RB/WR hybrid in Montgomery. . . but they lack a game-breaking workhorse RB. Dalvin Cook is the perfect combination of size, speed, power and vision for this offense. He's as comfortable running up the middle behind a FB as he is running stretch zone from a spread offense. He would give the Packers an element in the backfield that Rodgers has never had - the ability to break away on any given run.

Let's be realistic, Draftek has Cook at #13, CBS at #5. Would you give up three first round picks to move up from #29, for a guy that had several run-ins with the law, over robbery, possessing and firing a gun at school, and battery in a bar. He also has had a couple of shoulder problems, not good for a RB. STILL want to give up 3 first rounders for him ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
Rd #1A Sydney Jones, CB WASH.
       1B David Njoku TE MIAMI
       1C Reuben Foster MLB BAMA

Rd #2A Takkarist Mckinley OLB UCLA
        2B Evan Engram TE  OLE MISS
        2C Tre'Davious White CB LSU

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »

While it's easy to target pass rushers and cornerbacks. . . I still think that a stud RB is the #1 need for this team moving forward. I think adding one of Fournette (pipe dream), Cook (possible trade options if he slides) or McCaffrey (less ideal, but intriguing in his versatility) would be the best thing for the first round. After the QBs, DL, OL and WRs all improve their stock, I'm hoping Cook falls just far enough for the Packers to move up to get him. This offense needs speed and versatility. He offers both in spades.

Agree, Cook would be a gamechanger in GB.  I dont see TT trading up for him or taking him because of the off the field stuff.  He would be the answer in this offense though. 

Offline ebterp

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »

Agree, Cook would be a gamechanger in GB.  I dont see TT trading up for him or taking him because of the off the field stuff.  He would be the answer in this offense though.

Can you imagine Cook in this offense behind Rodgers...just once I would love to see Rodgers have a game breaker back there...it would take so much pressure off.

EB