November 23, 2020, 11:12:51 AM

Author Topic: 57 mock - #1  (Read 2915 times)

57packer

57 mock - #1
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
OK, with so many folks throwing up a mock, I'll give it a try.  I'm still not all that informed on the players, especially late round guys so here's my first perhaps feeble attempt.  Just throwing out some names for discussion based on where I'm seeing guys in mocks, how they fit need and value, and how they fit with TT's history and the schemes.  No trade downs and no assumptions of how the team's off-season will go - there's still 3 more games to go.  ;)   Am assuming 4th and 6th Rd comp. picks.

Rd 1 - Sharrif Floyd - DT - 6'3"-303# - FLA.  Chose him because he's a new name in Rd 1 for me.  Could be any of several DT/NT types that seem to be in the 20-40 range on a lot of boards/mocks - J.Williams, S.Williams, Short, Jenkins and Floyd are all in that range.  With Worthy possibly not ready, Pickett getting older, and some free agents looming it seems like a case of BPA and need converging late in Rd 1.  Floyd has played both DE and DT in college.   He has some nasty to him.  He's tough for OGs to block one on one.  Supposedly a pretty good motor.

Rd 2 - Eddie Lacy - RB - 5'10"- 220# - ALA.  Yup, I know this is probably too late but who knows for sure.  He's a 2nd Rd guy in my mind.  I like his combination of size, quick feet, and ability to get the extra yard to two after contact.  I've been on the bandwagon for him on this site all along, so I put him in my mock at the only feasible spot.  I'd be OK with Bernard or Ball at this spot as well.  I was also looking at an ILB here like Ogletree, Minter or Skov.  I think the first 2 will be gone by this spot and Skov sounds like he's staying in school.

Rd 3 - Kenny Stills - WR - 6'0" - 190# - OKL.  He's a smooth athlete with decent speed.  Seemed to get separation in games I watched.  Decent hands and makes some really tough catches.  Has some character concerns, and a little immature on and off the field but think he can work that out when surrounded by a group of solid pros.  Seems to fit the TT/MM mold for WRs - not necessarily real big or super fast, but athletic enough to run the routes dictated by the offense. 

Rd 4a - Brian Winters - OT - 6'4.5" - 310# - KENT St.  This guy is kind of all over the board and I think this might be a little too low for him, but at least 2 sites seemed to have him in the 120 range, so hoping that's about right.  A little short to be a prototypical LT in the NFL.   I think he'll be another OT that TT/MM convert to OG.  He's pretty strong despite not being real big.  Good run blocker, passable pass blocker.     I'll be interested to see how he plays in the Senior Bowl.

Rd 4b - Lonnie Pryor - FB - 6'0" - 230# - FLA St.  With Kuhn getting older, it's time to find a replacement.  Pryor has done a decent job as a lead blocker.  Has some running ability.  Has shown some skills as a receiver with 41 catches.  A little early for a FB, but the Packers seem to like the smaller more athletic FBs rather than just big thumpers.  I don't know that Pryor lasts until the end of Rd 5. 

Rd 5 - BW Webb - CB - 5'10" - 180# - Wm&Mary.  With TT breaking his height rule last year in the selection of Hayward, I'm looking at another slightly undersized CB.  Tremendous speed - may run under 4.4 or close to it.  11 career interceptions.   Will get a look in the Senior Bowl.  Has returned punts so could contribute there in his first couple of seasons.

Rd 6a - Zach Sudfeld - TE - 6'6" - 255# - NEV.  Finley is likely gone so another TE seems like an option here.  He's tall with decent speed and pretty good hands.  Not sure about his blocking, but we have blocking TEs.  His stock has been rising so it's possible he goes earlier.

Rd 6b - Quanterus Smith - OLB - 6'5" - 249# - W.Ky.  Smith had 3 sacks against 'Bama and DJ Fluker.  Had several multi-sack games during the year to total 12.5 sacks.  Probably should be going earlier than this, but injured his ACL in their last game and had surgery.  Will leave him unavailable for off-season workouts and likely training camp, so this is a pick for the future. 

Rd 7 - Graham Pocic - OC - 6'5" - 310# - ILL.  His stock seems to be down a bit and he stuggled against some teams this year, but looked OK against OSU and Hankins.  He's a pretty good athlete.  A guy for the practice squad and some development.  Was also looking at a QB here and thinking Sean Renfree from Duke.  Good size and a strong arm.  Was injured in their bowl game, but should be ready by training camp.  Alternate:  Blaize Foltz - OG - 6'3.5" - 310# - TCU.  Will likely be one of the lifting champs at the combine.  Some like him earlier, some have him in Rd 7.

There it is, have at it.  Regret not addressing OL earlier and wish I'd gotten an ILB.

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: 57 mock - #1
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
Replace the FB in the 4th round with an ILB and that'd look better.

I like the Lacy, Q. Smith, and BW Webb picks. As well as taking a big ugly in the first round.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:31 AM »
Like your posts 57. Like most of your mock too.

One thing worth a mention is how often an injured guy is used as a justification to draft a specific position (In this case Worthy possibly not being ready in 2013). Same applies to Bulaga, Sherrod, Bishop, Perry. Unless you have solid info that says otherwise, or the injury is one you never come back from (like back problems resulting from stenosis) I'd expect the guy to be back. Also, since TT has always talked about looking further ahead than the upcoming season, he is taking the longer view on player needs. OT is a position where we already have Newhouse, Sherrod, Bulaga, Barclay, Lang, who have played tackle. At OT, if (in 2013) Sherrod busts for any reason, we look at the position again in 2014.

The real need, imo, is for a G/C type that upgrades EDS. That may well be a guard converted (centers are rubbish in this draft) and the need should, I believe, be addressed before round 7.

My personal choice of positions this year are to get three of OLB, ILB, WR, G/C, RB, in the first three picks. For the D line, which many think is a high, or even the highest priority, I see Raji, Pickett, Neal as good quality players. We have Worthy developing, along with Daniels. We have a good run stuffer with Wilson. That is 6 players. I'm not sure how much room there is for another guy, or how much difference a 1st or 2nd round pick there would make to the unit. I can see a later NT type like Larry Black (Indiana) who could grow into the position and be ready when Pickett's play declines (approximately a round 4-5 pick).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
OK, with so many folks throwing up a mock, I'll give it a try.  I'm still not all that informed on the players, especially late round guys so here's my first perhaps feeble attempt.  Just throwing out some names for discussion based on where I'm seeing guys in mocks, how they fit need and value, and how they fit with TT's history and the schemes.  No trade downs and no assumptions of how the team's off-season will go - there's still 3 more games to go.  ;)   Am assuming 4th and 6th Rd comp. picks.

Rd 1 - Sharrif Floyd - DT - 6'3"-303# - FLA.  Chose him because he's a new name in Rd 1 for me.  Could be any of several DT/NT types that seem to be in the 20-40 range on a lot of boards/mocks - J.Williams, S.Williams, Short, Jenkins and Floyd are all in that range.  With Worthy possibly not ready, Pickett getting older, and some free agents looming it seems like a case of BPA and need converging late in Rd 1.  Floyd has played both DE and DT in college.   He has some nasty to him.  He's tough for OGs to block one on one.  Supposedly a pretty good motor.

Rd 2 - Eddie Lacy - RB - 5'10"- 220# - ALA.  Yup, I know this is probably too late but who knows for sure.  He's a 2nd Rd guy in my mind.  I like his combination of size, quick feet, and ability to get the extra yard to two after contact.  I've been on the bandwagon for him on this site all along, so I put him in my mock at the only feasible spot.  I'd be OK with Bernard or Ball at this spot as well.  I was also looking at an ILB here like Ogletree, Minter or Skov.  I think the first 2 will be gone by this spot and Skov sounds like he's staying in school.

Rd 3 - Kenny Stills - WR - 6'0" - 190# - OKL.  He's a smooth athlete with decent speed.  Seemed to get separation in games I watched.  Decent hands and makes some really tough catches.  Has some character concerns, and a little immature on and off the field but think he can work that out when surrounded by a group of solid pros.  Seems to fit the TT/MM mold for WRs - not necessarily real big or super fast, but athletic enough to run the routes dictated by the offense. 

Rd 4a - Brian Winters - OT - 6'4.5" - 310# - KENT St.  This guy is kind of all over the board and I think this might be a little too low for him, but at least 2 sites seemed to have him in the 120 range, so hoping that's about right.  A little short to be a prototypical LT in the NFL.   I think he'll be another OT that TT/MM convert to OG.  He's pretty strong despite not being real big.  Good run blocker, passable pass blocker.     I'll be interested to see how he plays in the Senior Bowl.

Rd 4b - Lonnie Pryor - FB - 6'0" - 230# - FLA St.  With Kuhn getting older, it's time to find a replacement.  Pryor has done a decent job as a lead blocker.  Has some running ability.  Has shown some skills as a receiver with 41 catches.  A little early for a FB, but the Packers seem to like the smaller more athletic FBs rather than just big thumpers.  I don't know that Pryor lasts until the end of Rd 5. 

Rd 5 - BW Webb - CB - 5'10" - 180# - Wm&Mary.  With TT breaking his height rule last year in the selection of Hayward, I'm looking at another slightly undersized CB.  Tremendous speed - may run under 4.4 or close to it.  11 career interceptions.   Will get a look in the Senior Bowl.  Has returned punts so could contribute there in his first couple of seasons.

Rd 6a - Zach Sudfeld - TE - 6'6" - 255# - NEV.  Finley is likely gone so another TE seems like an option here.  He's tall with decent speed and pretty good hands.  Not sure about his blocking, but we have blocking TEs.  His stock has been rising so it's possible he goes earlier.

Rd 6b - Quanterus Smith - OLB - 6'5" - 249# - W.Ky.  Smith had 3 sacks against 'Bama and DJ Fluker.  Had several multi-sack games during the year to total 12.5 sacks.  Probably should be going earlier than this, but injured his ACL in their last game and had surgery.  Will leave him unavailable for off-season workouts and likely training camp, so this is a pick for the future. 

Rd 7 - Graham Pocic - OC - 6'5" - 310# - ILL.  His stock seems to be down a bit and he stuggled against some teams this year, but looked OK against OSU and Hankins.  He's a pretty good athlete.  A guy for the practice squad and some development.  Was also looking at a QB here and thinking Sean Renfree from Duke.  Good size and a strong arm.  Was injured in their bowl game, but should be ready by training camp.  Alternate:  Blaize Foltz - OG - 6'3.5" - 310# - TCU.  Will likely be one of the lifting champs at the combine.  Some like him earlier, some have him in Rd 7.

There it is, have at it.  Regret not addressing OL earlier and wish I'd gotten an ILB.

Nice job here! Filled a lot of needs with some nice players. Won't pick on any players, as i think you struck value for the most part. Only thing is from my early research is that TE Sudfeld looks to go round 4 or sooner. When all said and done, especially with a nice combine he could surprise and be the 3rd or 4th TE off the board.

57packer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  Regarding a couple of points:

1265 - you are right, I probably consider injuries in the equation too much.  My issue with Worthy was that the Packers had not been very forthcoming with his injury situation.  I feared the worst - an ACL, which would have left him unavailable for a good chunk of next season and so didn't want to see the d-line short-handed yet again.  Now, today there was some word that his injury was less serious than thought and no surgery is needed.  I might change my next mock, though I still see some good value at d-line in the late 20s.  Also, my choice of Winters was basically as an OG.  I don't see him at OT in the NFL and TT seems to want to convert OTs to OGs rather than selecting OGs.  Winters will be put at OG if selected.   I really didn't see an OC i liked early.  In addition EDS actually looked OK in the playoff game so I think he may be the guy there for awhile.   

Terr - probably right on Sudfeld.  I might be wrong on a few more since the combine hasn't hit yet and there will be some minor re-shuffling of the deck after that. 

clay - point taken on the FB, though I think they'll need to add one soon.  Maybe someone else later in the draft, but I kinda like the idea that Pryor is a really talented guy who might actually be a playmaker at FB like Henderson was at one time.  OF course MM would have to change the offense a little to take advantage of his talents.  If he doesn't the pick might be a waste.

Offline DenverPackFan

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
I won't mind if we go DL in round 1.  I prefer Sylvester Williams slightly to Floyd but they are very close.

Here is a good article on Floyd:  http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1122-Sharrif-Floyd?s=4a13b31de16626e35e29c6297dbb7549