October 15, 2019, 09:17:17 PM

Author Topic: Lacy  (Read 34345 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Lacy
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »
... draft a decent RB in the first 3 rounds.  ....A decent RB could thrive in this offense and have a Brian Westbrook/Marshall Faulk type impact.  Lacy isnt going to do that.

Easy enough.  Find a hall of fame running back in the first 3 rounds. Problem solved.

David Johnson, RB, AZ Cardinals, 3rd round pick in 2015.  There are guys like that out there, and a upgrade over Lacy wouldnt be that difficult if he wants to spend the pick.     

That was a roll of the dice for the Cards...they didn't have anyone else and luckily it worked for them.

Sorry....it's very RARE.

I'll go with Lacy another year and whoever else they add.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »
... draft a decent RB in the first 3 rounds.  ....A decent RB could thrive in this offense and have a Brian Westbrook/Marshall Faulk type impact.  Lacy isnt going to do that.

Easy enough.  Find a hall of fame running back in the first 3 rounds. Problem solved.

David Johnson, RB, AZ Cardinals, 3rd round pick in 2015.  There are guys like that out there, and a upgrade over Lacy wouldnt be that difficult if he wants to spend the pick.     

Right because every RB drafted in the NFL is the caliber of player that David Johnson is.  There are dozens of RBs selected and signed every year in the NFL, very rarely does a David Johnson caliber player fall on your lap.  It's funny that you think that that caliber of player is the type that just falls off a tree and is easy to find.  I'm pretty sure I don't recall you advocating for the selection of David Johnson during the 2015 NFL draft.  It's easy to point out the easy picks 2 years after their made....   8)

Easy to find, not so much, but when you take into account this offense and defenses focus on Rodgers in the passing game.  You dont need a HOF running back to perform extremely well in this offense.   A decent running back can put up huge numbers.  Lacy is far too fat and slow to be dynamic enough.   The Packers got to the NFCC with Ty Montgomery for crying out loud.    Finding a great running back is hard, finding a good running back who can flourish in this offense and its weapons isnt difficult.           

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:43 AM »
I think the best answer is Lacy and a pick.  Understand some of the criticism about Lacy but he was productive this past year -- when healthy -- and the simple fact is the Packers would have loved to have a healthy Lacy v. Atlanta in the championship game.  Its all a percentages game. You don't give up a productive player on the hopes of striking gold in the draft. Citing a lightening bolt of success in the 3rd round ignores the percentages.  I don't think the Packers are prepping their Hall of Fame induction for Brandon Jackson or Alex Green.   This is all especially true with the major problems on defense.  You take your chances with Lacy and a lower pick running back to get a defensive player you want -- and need desperately.  Understanding -- if the LOVE a back like McCaffery and like the depth of the defensive players available, they could make that pick -- but add him to a line up that includes Lacy and you are stronger team.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:48:01 AM by BartyorBarrySmith »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:01 AM »
I think the best answer is Lacy and a pick.  Understand some of the criticism about Lacy but he was productive this past year -- when healthy -- and the simple fact is the Packers would have loved to have a healthy Lacy v. Atlanta in the championship game.  Its all a percentages game. You don't give up a productive player on the hopes of striking gold in the draft. Citing a lightening bolt of success in the 3rd round ignores the percentages.  I don't think the Packers are prepping their Hall of Fame induction for Brandon Jackson or Alex Green.   This is all especially true with the major problems on defense.  You take your chances with Lacy and a lower pick running back to get a defensive player you want -- and need desperately.  Understanding -- if the LOVE a back like McCaffery and like the depth of the defensive players available, they could make that pick -- but add him to a line up that includes Lacy and you are stronger team.

Agree, there is a role for Lacy on this team, but a guy like McCaffrey or Kamara would be pretty hard to defend.  At the same time we got big defensive holes to fill.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:55:41 AM by The GM »

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »

That was a roll of the dice for the Cards...they didn't have anyone else and luckily it worked for them.

Sorry....it's very RARE.

I'll go with Lacy another year and whoever else they add.

Johnson, Freeman, Howard, Coleman, Ware, Rawls, and Murray (to a lesser extent) have been drafted in 3rd round or later in recent history.  There are very productive rb's to be had mid to late rounds in NFL drafts.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
TT hasn't been that lucky lately in his draft picks for "difference makers". Those guys that are considered blue chip players. So I wouldn't figure on drafting a RB in the middle rounds and expecting him to be starter/all-pro quality right away. Heck, I would love for one of his RB picks to make the team and be contributors in his first year. You may call it low expectations, I'll call it realistic.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Striker

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

Agree, there is a role for Lacy on this team, but a guy like McCaffrey or Kamara would be pretty hard to defend.  At the same time we got big defensive holes to fill.

I'd rather have Lacy and a change of pace back and fill the holes on defense. We could have the next coming of AP, but that won't save us if the defensive talent isn't improved.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »

Right because every RB drafted in the NFL is the caliber of player that David Johnson is.  There are dozens of RBs selected and signed every year in the NFL, very rarely does a David Johnson caliber player fall on your lap.  It's funny that you think that that caliber of player is the type that just falls off a tree and is easy to find.  I'm pretty sure I don't recall you advocating for the selection of David Johnson during the 2015 NFL draft.  It's easy to point out the easy picks 2 years after their made....   8)

Easy to find, not so much, but when you take into account this offense and defenses focus on Rodgers in the passing game.  You dont need a HOF running back to perform extremely well in this offense.   A decent running back can put up huge numbers.  Lacy is far too fat and slow to be dynamic enough.   The Packers got to the NFCC with Ty Montgomery for crying out loud.    Finding a great running back is hard, finding a good running back who can flourish in this offense and its weapons isnt difficult.           

Eddy Lacy's 2016 season doesn't suggest that he's too fat and slow to be a good RB for GB.  If you want to ignore 100% of that season in an effort to make Lacy out to be a fat slow, back up RB, more power to you.  Its an argument that isn't built on an ounce of fact given how he was playing before the injury.  "Fat slow" RBs aren't hurdling defenders like he did twice against Dallas, a game in which he was playing on one ankle.  "Fat slow" RBs aren't ripping off 20 yard runs with the frequency he was doing it at.  "Fat slow" RBs don't lead EVERY SINGLE ONE of their peers in both broken tackles and yards after contact.  "Fat slow" RBs don't average over 5.1 yards a carry which is almost a full yard more per carry than David Johnson. 

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to find a RB like David Johnson (all pro caliber RB).  There have been 80 RBs drafted since we took Eddy Lacy.  5 of those RBs not named David Johnson have been an all pro (Lacy included).  The idea that David Johnson, all pro caliber RBs, are all over the NFL is nothing short of ridiculous.  Thats like saying every QB drafted in the 6th round is going to be the next Tom Brady.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
I'd rather have Lacy and a change of pace back and fill the holes on defense. We could have the next coming of AP, but that won't save us if the defensive talent isn't improved.

Agreed, Striker. The need quality help at OLB and CB is obvious, and both are likely addressed in the first three rounds of the draft. Though Cook is a good stopgap, the Packers also need a TE with speed to stretch the seam down the middle (just look at the difference in the team when the Packers have one). When a perfectly respectable backup RB to complement Lacy and Montgomery can be acquired with a fourth of fifth round pick, it seems a better plan to keep Lacy this year and have one less position of serious need. I'd like another good sideline type WR as well, but the kind of quality WR the Packers will need for the future, would mean sacrificing the chance of one of the three positions I have already mentioned (most likely TE).

Lacy may get injured again next year, RB is the most violent contact position after all, but if that happens I wouldn't blame anyone, just shrug and say "C'est la vie", anyone, ANYONE, can get injured.

A RB like Corey Clement, Jamaal Williams or Elijah McGuire, drafted in the 4-6 round range, look to me like fine complementary backs to Lacy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:32:25 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Yup.  Sign Lacy for modest $$.  Use higher picks for other positions.  Use a 3rd-day pick on a back. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
I'd love a back who was good in the passing game.  Packers are, or at least should be, a passing team.  Rodgers ought to be able to check out of a running play, and still have the option of passing it to the back. 

Assuming Lacy is back, I hope he gets better and becomes more effective in the passing game.  I still think tossing it to Lacy where he's got enough space to get his bearings, and have a step or two to build up some momentum and run over some slender cornerback could be kind of fun. 

Whether it's lacy himself, or Montgomery, or new pick, or all three of them, getting more value and more first downs out of throws to the backs would be really fun. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »

Don't we have that in Ty Montgomery?   :)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
People won't like me for saying this but, if Joe Mixon is still on the board when GB picks in the 4th round I would take him.

I would word his contract so that if he ever gets in ANY KIND of trouble during his rookie contract, he forfeits/repays his signing bonus.

I would also put in his contract that he needs to continue to do community service type work in speaking out against domestic violence. Keep him focused on what's more important.

Not sure if you can make a contract that restrictive but if you can, I would.

There's no doubting this kids talent. He's a power back with home run speed, and he's a great receiver as well.

He would be a blend of a faster Lacy and a bigger Monty.

twocents)

The other RB that would be very good value in the late 4th round would be Kareem Hunt/Toledo. But he may have raised his draft stock into the 3rd with a very very solid performance at the Senior Bowl.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
People won't like me for saying this but, if Joe Mixon is still on the board when GB picks in the 4th round I would take him.

I would word his contract so that if he ever gets in ANY KIND of trouble during his rookie contract, he forfeits/repays his signing bonus.

I would also put in his contract that he needs to continue to do community service type work in speaking out against domestic violence. Keep him focused on what's more important.

Not sure if you can make a contract that restrictive but if you can, I would.

There's no doubting this kids talent. He's a power back with home run speed, and he's a great receiver as well.

He would be a blend of a faster Lacy and a bigger Monty.

twocents)

The other RB that would be very good value in the late 4th round would be Kareem Hunt/Toledo. But he may have raised his draft stock into the 3rd with a very very solid performance at the Senior Bowl.

Like Mixson as well. Green Bay could be a good place for him as he stays away from the temptations of a bigger city.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 07:02:11 AM »

I don't see a problem with this.

The guy made a mistake his first year in college if I understand this correctly.  If he has learned from his mistake and matured and become a human being, then I think he deserves a second chance.

People make mistakes, especially if raised in a bad environment.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."