November 20, 2018, 07:38:55 PM

Author Topic: Datone Jones to Vikings  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: Datone Jones to Vikings
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
Ian Rapoport:
Former Packers 1st round pick DE Datone Jones is signing with the Lions, source said. The pass-rusher spent training camp with Vikings.

He must really want to stay in the division

I think he will take work anywhere he can get it. He has had workouts with close to half the teams in the NFL without being signed.

A lot of folks thought we lost something special with this guy. His current market value kind of disputes that.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 05:05:39 AM »
Guilty as charged.  Thought he was a solid player.  Surprised at the lack of interest.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 06:16:59 AM »
Guilty as charged.  Thought he was a solid player.  Surprised at the lack of interest.

He was (is) a solid player. My only grip with him was I didnt feel he was enough of a difference maker. He didnt evolve into that guy.
Its an unjust/uneven (personal) barometer, but I feel #1 picks should be difference makers on the field.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

He was (is) a solid player. My only grip with him was I didnt feel he was enough of a difference maker. He didnt evolve into that guy.
Its an unjust/uneven (personal) barometer, but I feel #1 picks should be difference makers on the field.

Agreed that #1's are usually expected to be difference makers. I think if he was all that solid though he would have had way more interest. DL and OL are usually snapped up pretty quick, especially if they're solid, considering the glut of league wide injuries. I'm not trying to bag on the guy, I just find it interesting he was disappointing to a lot of fans but as soon as he's let go it's like we lost an integral part of the defense. I'm just noting his interest from other teams doesn't necessarily bear that out.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »

Agreed that #1's are usually expected to be difference makers. I think if he was all that solid though he would have had way more interest. DL and OL are usually snapped up pretty quick, especially if they're solid, considering the glut of league wide injuries. I'm not trying to bag on the guy, I just find it interesting he was disappointing to a lot of fans but as soon as he's let go it's like we lost an integral part of the defense. I'm just noting his interest from other teams doesn't necessarily bear that out.

Understood and agreed. I'm not ragging on the guy either. I've said it before and remain steadfast in my thinking that you dont get to the NFL by being a bum athletically. Its an accomplishment in and of itself. Once there - you're up against the best of the best - so the leagues full of good (solid) players - who are defined by the limited number of true play makers. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
Our former #1 is finding it hard to land a job.

Source: after claiming QB Brad Kaaya off of waivers and signing DE Jacquies Smith, the Lions have cut DE George Johnson and DL Datone Jones.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »
The San Francisco 49ers announced that they’ve waived veteran DL Datone Jones on Tuesday.

He may have a chance to play for every team in one season. ::)

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
The San Francisco 49ers announced that they’ve waived veteran DL Datone Jones on Tuesday.

If you can't keep a job on that team you are probably done.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »

If you can't keep a job on that team you are probably done.

That team has what could become the finest D line in football. Thay have invested a lot of high picks there (Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Solomon Thomas). They even have Reuben Foster behind them at MLB. I would imagine Datone was considered mainly because Armstead is on IR.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:50:55 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 06:11:55 AM »

If he was all that solid we wouldn't have let him walk.