November 23, 2020, 11:42:02 AM

Author Topic: My One and Only try at a Mock  (Read 2551 times)

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
My One and Only try at a Mock
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
1st- Gareon Conley- CB

2nd- Jordan Willis- OLB

3rd- Chad Hansen- WR

4th- Jordan Morgan- G

5th- Ryan Glasgow- DT

5th- James Connor- RB (comp pick)

6th- Ethan Cooper- G

7th- Marquez White- CB

OK, let me have it. I can take it. Lots of smart peeps in here.  Look forward to the feedback.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: My One and Only try at a Mock
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
1st- Gareon Conley- CB (Like it)

2nd- Jordan Willis- OLB (Like it)

3rd- Chad Hansen- WR (Too early for WR......but nice player)

4th- Jordan Morgan- G (Would prefer one in 5th, but good choice)

5th- Ryan Glasgow- DT (Not sure we need to address this position. Not knocking player though)

5th- James Connor- RB (comp pick) (Like it)

6th- Ethan Cooper- G (Either Glasgow or Cooper, but not not both)

7th- Marquez White- CB (If he falls this far, he would be a very good value)

OK, let me have it. I can take it. Lots of smart peeps in here.  Look forward to the feedback.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Nice effort. The key needs have been addressed. Offense and defense are balanced (D, D, O, O, D, O, O, D)

I would have picked my RB earlier, now Eddie Lacy is gone. Round three would get you someone like Perine, McNichols, Hunt.

Still in round 3. If you did go WR, I felt there might be better ones than Hansen. Zay Jones or Amara Darboh, for example, but you never really know who will be there. I like Josh Reynolds as well, but his position in the draft varies quite a bit depending on the board.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
Nice effort. The key needs have been addressed. Offense and defense are balanced (D, D, O, O, D, O, O, D)

I would have picked my RB earlier, now Eddie Lacy is gone. Round three would get you someone like Perine, McNichols, Hunt.

Still in round 3. If you did go WR, I felt there might be better ones than Hansen. Zay Jones or Amara Darboh, for example, but you never really know who will be there. I like Josh Reynolds as well, but his position in the draft varies quite a bit depending on the board.

I think Zay Jones has jumped to the 2nd round. He lit it up at the Senior Bowl and then posted some sick Combine numbers.
133" broad jump!!
4.01 20 shuttle!!
11.17 60 shuttle!!
(all tops amongst WO's at the Combine)
Plus.......he posted a 4.45 forty, and 36.5" vertical

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:17:03 AM »
I think you are probably right danno. Some sites still have him further down the big board than I think he will end up. He and Cooper Kupp (who did not kill the combine) were both tremendous at the Senior Bowl week. Yes, round three was too hopeful for him (both of them).

After a rethink, I feel either might make it to the bottom of round two, but maybe not even that far. I looked at some boards to see where they had Zay. On the CBS board he is 72.  Bleacher's board has him at 100, while on the NFL board he is at 82.

Draft Tek and Fanspeak boards are both at 45, and GBN board has him at 47 (which I think are all on the money),

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
The reason I chose a WR in the 3rd round is because Davante is a FA next year I believe, and I also think they will ask Cobb to take a pay cut. I think they will re-sign Adams, but Cobb, maybe they release him if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Being a pass offense first I thought it made some sense.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
The reason I chose a WR in the 3rd round is because Davante is a FA next year I believe, and I also think they will ask Cobb to take a pay cut. I think they will re-sign Adams, but Cobb, maybe they release him if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Being a pass offense first I thought it made some sense.

I do understand the need for a WR. I think they want a WR with good speed, as the eventual successor to Jordy, a guy who can win down the sidelines. That type of WR is best acquired this year, or next at the latest, so they are not counted on as a no.1 in their rookie year.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
Packers picked up Max McCaffrey (Christians older brother) late last season.

The kid is 6-2/196
40 - 4.36
vertical - 36.5"
broad - 122"

He has the blood lines.

His senior year (2015) at Duke he posted 52 catches/643 yds/5 TD's.

He's why I don't feel the urge for a WR as early as the 3rd round. But a 6th/7th round pick would be just fine by me.
Like, maybe, Robert Davis/Georgia St. (6-3/220/4.44) his 2016 numbers were 67 catches/968 yds (14.45 yds per catch)/5 TD's.

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
I remember that when they picked up McCaffrey last season. Those are some nice combine numbers he put up and yes the bloodlines don't hurt either. It'll be interesting to see what he shows in tc.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »

I loved your draft, toothpicks. 

I like your thinking on grabbing a WR.  4th/5th rounds are good areas for grabbing OL and RB, I agree.  And we aren't obsessed about WR now because our injuries there were limited this past year.  But next year, with Adams and Cobb, and Jordy yet another year older, we might well see WR as a massive need.  If there was a good-value WR in round 3 that they really like, whether Hansen or somebody else, I'd be totally OK with them going that way.  Nice creativity! 

It's a shame we don't have more picks.  There are so many positions I wish they could address with their first 3 picks, some are going to have to wait for Day 3. 

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
Thanks Craig. I tried to keep it real. I guess we'll know in a little more than a month.