General Category > Rant and Vent

Record of Futility

(1/5) > >>

iarwain:
I was a little surprised to hear this the other day, and as far as I can tell it is true, although perhaps someone here can refute it.  I'm posting this in "Rant and Vent" just because it might rub some people the wrong way:

The Packers have made the playoffs six consecutive years now without a Super Bowl appearance, which is the longest such streak ever in the NFL.  True or false?  Actually the Packers have made the playoffs eight consecutive years, with the Super Bowl win in 2010, but that does not void the previous statement.  Has anyone else made the playoffs six years in a row or longer without getting to the Super Bowl?

OneTwoSixFive:
It's all about perception. I'd say making the playoffs in 6 consecutive years is a fine achievement. If you are unable to gain any pleasure from a team if they fail to win a superbowl, you are in for a lifetime filled with almost universal disappointment.

Here is a similar comparison. Marv Levy led the Bills to four superbowls. they lost all four. I see Marv as a hugely successful coach and making four SBs as an incredible feat.

If a superbowl win is the only measure of success, then you must prepare to be disappointed for periods of (on average) 30+ years (32 teams in the league) between wins. That means maybe two superbowls in a lifetime, three if you live to 90 odd. Don't talk to me about HOF QBs either. They may up the odds of a team going further, but a team needs more than a good QB to win a superbowl (How many superbowl did Marino win in 17 seasons.............zero). Also while a team may have periods where they have a top QB; over a person's lifetime, 70, 80, or more years (if lucky), they will also have times where they have terrible ones.

iarwain:

--- Quote from: OneTwoSixFive on March 28, 2017, 01:02:54 AM ---Here is a similar comparison. Marv Levy led the Bills to four superbowls. they lost all four.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, when I first heard this it reminded me of the Bills.

I've followed this team since the 60s, so I don't require a Super Bowl win to enjoy the team.  A lot has to do with expectations, and where the team is going.  Is it on the decline or on the rise?  Are there competent people involved and competent decisions being made?  The Super Bowl wins are more fun though   thumbsup)

I'm sure some would disagree here, but I thought 2011 was one of the funnest seasons I can remember.  But that was also connected to a great deal of success.  They were the defending champs, they won something like 19 in a row, they finished 15-1, they scored points like crazy.  The loss in the playoffs was a big disappointment, but a lot of people saw it coming with that leaky defense.  Still, they were the best team in the league for around a year there, the team got a lot of national attention, and it was a lot of fun.

Pugger:

--- Quote from: iarwain on March 27, 2017, 11:45:47 PM ---I was a little surprised to hear this the other day, and as far as I can tell it is true, although perhaps someone here can refute it.  I'm posting this in "Rant and Vent" just because it might rub some people the wrong way:

The Packers have made the playoffs six consecutive years now without a Super Bowl appearance, which is the longest such streak ever in the NFL.  True or false?  Actually the Packers have made the playoffs eight consecutive years, with the Super Bowl win in 2010, but that does not void the previous statement.  Has anyone else made the playoffs six years in a row or longer without getting to the Super Bowl?

--- End quote ---

Don't you have to get INTO the playoffs first before you can win anything?  It is very disappointing to not make it to the SB but to dismiss what this team is doing - 8 straight playoff appearances in a row tying only NE for consistency - is sad.  I remember the 70s and 80s when folks celebrated if the team went 8-8.   :-\

iarwain:
No one has disputed the accuracy of this, so apparently it must be true.  Certainly making the playoffs this many years in a row in an admirable feat.  Obviously a lot of this has to do with the fact that we have the best quarterback in the division.  I also think McCarthy deserves a lot of the credit, because I think he is a good offensive minded coach.

On the other hand, if no other team has been in the playoffs six straight years without making it to the Super Bowl, it suggests they aren't making the most of their opportunities.  For whatever reason that may be.  Right now, they look a lot like the Atlanta Braves from the 90s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version