May 24, 2019, 08:47:25 AM

Author Topic: With the 26th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft ...  (Read 10088 times)

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
Re: With the 26th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft ...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
For the first time in a few years, I would go BPA ...with the exception of QB or CB in the early rounds.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Sucks picking so late every draft.  How many good players every year that the Packers have no opportunity to draft?  That's the price for being consistently good.  Success is punished in the league.  Must have parity. 

Last year's draft for the Pack is looking less than stellar, but that could change from year 1 to 2.  Hopefully, the Packers get good players regardless of position.  With all the injured players coming back there appears to be a lot of depth returning, could TT once again use some picks to move up and try and get need/impact players?  Or, does he continue to add steady depth?

I have no clue how anyone could say that. We were 11-5 and had how many rookies start? How many contributed, not to mention the free agents who started and played well. That comment is so far from correct it's kind of funny.

Perry was not an impact player.  He was pretty much given the starting job with no competition except suspended guy Walden.   Perry was ok when rushing the passer but a fish out of water in the other parts of the game.   

Worthy was a disappointment no question about it.   He did nothing in pass rush and was just average in other areas.  Again, a player who was given lots of playing time due to having very little competition at that position. 

Hayward was the star of the class.  It's a defense that encourages trying to get INTs and Hayward has a good sense for it like Woodson.  What he doesn't have is the overall athletic ability and tackling of Woodson.  He's a nice fit, good pick. 

McMillian and Daniels both saw playing time and showed glimpses of potential.  I kind of like both but McMillian is very raw and couldn't be counted on, saw his PT drop.  Daniels' problem is that he is so small at that position, and it looks like that will always be an issue for him.

After that there isn't much to speak of except Moses, who is a keeper.

Where is the stellarness?  Hayward is what keeps this class from looking like a real stinker at the moment.  I hope they all bust out next year and become beasts, but I'm not gonna bury my head and the sand and pretend like they are something they are not.

Generally you grade out a draft 3 years afterwards.... not after season ending lopsided loss.

Packers defense improved from 32nd in league in yards to 11th in this year.  There has to be some explanation and it is not free agents or any breakout performances by a veteran.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Sucks picking so late every draft.  How many good players every year that the Packers have no opportunity to draft?  That's the price for being consistently good.  Success is punished in the league.  Must have parity. 

Last year's draft for the Pack is looking less than stellar, but that could change from year 1 to 2.  Hopefully, the Packers get good players regardless of position.  With all the injured players coming back there appears to be a lot of depth returning, could TT once again use some picks to move up and try and get need/impact players?  Or, does he continue to add steady depth?

I have no clue how anyone could say that. We were 11-5 and had how many rookies start? How many contributed, not to mention the free agents who started and played well. That comment is so far from correct it's kind of funny.

Perry was not an impact player.  He was pretty much given the starting job with no competition except suspended guy Walden.   Perry was ok when rushing the passer but a fish out of water in the other parts of the game.   

Worthy was a disappointment no question about it.   He did nothing in pass rush and was just average in other areas.  Again, a player who was given lots of playing time due to having very little competition at that position. 

Hayward was the star of the class.  It's a defense that encourages trying to get INTs and Hayward has a good sense for it like Woodson.  What he doesn't have is the overall athletic ability and tackling of Woodson.  He's a nice fit, good pick. 

McMillian and Daniels both saw playing time and showed glimpses of potential.  I kind of like both but McMillian is very raw and couldn't be counted on, saw his PT drop.  Daniels' problem is that he is so small at that position, and it looks like that will always be an issue for him.

After that there isn't much to speak of except Moses, who is a keeper.

Where is the stellarness?  Hayward is what keeps this class from looking like a real stinker at the moment.  I hope they all bust out next year and become beasts, but I'm not gonna bury my head and the sand and pretend like they are something they are not.

Generally you grade out a draft 3 years afterwards.... not after season ending lopsided loss.

Packers defense improved from 32nd in league in yards to 11th in this year.  There has to be some explanation and it is not free agents or any breakout performances by a veteran.

Think the main diff between this year and last was simply a much improved secondary and  more depth on the dline; last year our good dlinemen played WAY too many snaps and were exhausted. This year they actually got a rest. Add to that the improvement in Shields, addition of Hayward/McMillian and you have a much better defense.

As for Perry, I do agree that it is far to early to judge his performance since he was making a huge jump to a new position in the NFL. However, I will say that he didn't without a doubt prove that the Packers had solved their OLB spot opposite Matthews.

I will also say that Worthy, while not an instant impact guy, also deserves more time before being labeled a bust. Defensive lineman generally don't make an instant impact in the NFL. Guys in this league are generally just much larger/faster/more prepared than they're used to playing.

Hopefully the Packers continue to focus on defense in the first round (since it's defense that wins titles) and get a MLB that can push Hawk (Bishop is a terrific MLB), OLB that can push Perry/replace Matthews if injured or another defensive lineman since there is no such thing as too many dlinemen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:52:28 PM by SunshinePacker »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »

Not sure who you are looking at, but Perry's main contribution  was (as expected) run defense where he showed he could set the edge. The biggest problem I have with this is how much you expect from a rookie year. RBs sometimes shine as rookies, 4-3 DEs too, sometimes, but most positions (including 3-4 DEs and often OLBs, especially if they are converted DEs) take until their second year to show what they have. You have to have some patience. I do think 2012 will pan out as a good draft year, but I accept that is little more than gut feeling, without much concrete evidence to back it up.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
I'm guessing it's Jesse Williams...

Offline GreenBlood

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »

I really think TT has done a great job drafting defensive linemen.  But they're all 4-3 type guys.  I think Perry, Raji, Worthy, and either Neal or Daniels could be a nice 4-3 line.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

I really think TT has done a great job drafting defensive linemen.  But they're all 4-3 type guys.  I think Perry, Raji, Worthy, and either Neal or Daniels could be a nice 4-3 line.

Raji was a NT in college and has been a NT his entire time in GB. He doesn't exactly fit the mold of a penetrating one gap DT. He doesn't fit it at all. If Daniels were too small to make an impact on the line GB wouldn't have drafted. They saw potential in him, and so do I. He isn't meant to be a run stuffer. He is there to give an inside pass rush on passing downs.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
For the first time in a few years, I would go BPA ...with the exception of QB or CB in the early rounds.

I wouldn't rule out CB myself. We are doing to lose Woodson in soon...this year or next. TW isn't the same and approaching the wrong side of 30. That leaves Shields who will be an unrestricted free agent in 2014 if we don't sign a long term deal.

Wolf and Thompson both believed that a team can never have enough quality Corners and we saw a season or two back how quickly depth can be depleted.

Add in that outside of House and Woodson none of our Corners are 6-0 or taller, while we play against Megatron and Marshall who are both 6-5.

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
I've mentioned him before even though he had a rough start this year.

David Amerson  CB  6'2" 195.

Ball hawk, he had something like 14 interceptions over the last two years and could be the hybrid CB/S that might replace Woodson.  He is tall and has good/great ball skills.  Could end up being the centerfielder type safety Collins was.  No- I don't expect him to BE Collins, just that he's more like Collins than anything we have on the roster right now.  A safety that can man up on a WR would give Capers more flexibility in his schemes. soapbox
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »

Ball hawk, he had something like 14 interceptions over the last two years and could be the hybrid CB/S that might replace Woodson.  He is tall and has good/great ball skills.  Could end up being the centerfielder type safety Collins was.  No- I don't expect him to BE Collins, just that he's more like Collins than anything we have on the roster right now.  A safety that can man up on a WR would give Capers more flexibility in his schemes. soapbox
I haven't heard about him before.  Is he projected in round 1 or later?

Offline DenverPackFan

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »

I haven't heard about him before.  Is he projected in round 1 or later?

This is one of my new favorite sites as they seem to have some good write-ups on a lot of the players that we're discussing.  Most other sites lack good info.

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1089-David-Amerson

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »

But here is my problem with him. He put up his stats against lessor opponents. He got burned against the better WRs in the SEC. That troubles me a lot....not sure how would feel about him as a Safety....

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:42 PM »

But here is my problem with him. He put up his stats against lessor opponents. He got burned against the better WRs in the SEC. That troubles me a lot....not sure how would feel about him as a Safety....

I think that's the ACC, isn't he from NC State?
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline rudderhead

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »

I wouldn't rule out CB myself. We are doing to lose Woodson in soon...this year or next. TW isn't the same and approaching the wrong side of 30. That leaves Shields who will be an unrestricted free agent in 2014 if we don't sign a long term deal.

Wolf and Thompson both believed that a team can never have enough quality Corners and we saw a season or two back how quickly depth can be depleted.

Add in that outside of House and Woodson none of our Corners are 6-0 or taller, while we play against Megatron and Marshall who are both 6-5.

I am going to go the other way and say that a CB would be one of the last positions I would pick.  A DT/DE is my top choice.  Someone who can rush the passer and do a decent job in run defense.  You kill two birds with one stone and a good pass rush can cover up a mediocre secondary.  Now who that guy is I don't have a clue, but I am sure TT knows.  The question is if he will pull the trigger and move up to get him.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
Eddy Lacy...

Best way to get this offense untracked is to commit to a running game with a stud RB.  Go out of the shotgun less, keep the defense guessing more.  That's the best way to bring the safeties back up so Rodgers can go back to his ways as a mid-to-long passer.