November 19, 2019, 04:45:44 PM

Author Topic: #29 Who Do You Like?  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Redt

• Starter
#29 Who Do You Like?
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
Three days before the draft, I want to know who you would find good choices at #29 and who would you stay away from?

Mine, in no particular order:

Want:
Kevin King, CB
T.J. Watt, OLB
Jabril Peppers, CB/S/LB/KR
Rueben Foster, ILB
Haason Reddick, ILB/OLB
Christian McCaffrey, RB/Slot

Don't Want:
Taco Charlton, OLB
Derek Barnett, OLB
Malik McDowell, DT

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Id really be interested to see if  Thompson takes Kevin King in rd 1,  would he take his teammate Sydney Jones in rd 2?  Great value for Jones coming off the ACL injury in the second rd.  Ive watched them both in person for years at UW.  Both are good corners, and Jones might  be too good to pass in the second if he is there.

Want:  Reddick
Dont Want: Taco Charleton.

I think it could come down to Watt/McKinley or Quincy Wilson/Humphrey unless somebody falls into our lap.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:02:00 AM by The GM »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
TJ Watt.  He's the guy I want. Just checked CBS rankings he jumped up to #23.  Get a lot of shift during days before the draft.  Likely leaks.  Based on this it is likely he'll be gone.  Other guy is Kevin King.  Possible he'll still be there. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:06:14 AM by scoremore »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
From WalterFootball.com:

29 - Green Bay Packers: Jabrill Peppers, SS, Michigan

Walt had this pick in his trades mock, which I liked it a lot. The Packers could consider cornerback help, but they also could look at safety. Peppers would be an upgrade over what they lost in Micah Hyde. Additionally, Morgan Burnett is entering the last year of his contract. Peppers could also help Green Bay as a dime linebacker and returner.

Peppers had a good 2016 season for Michigan with 72 tackles, 16 for a loss, four sacks, one interception, zero pass breakups and one forced fumble. He was electric on special teams and especially phenomenal on punt returns, taking one for a touchdown. The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder was excellent as a sophomore in 2015, recording 45 tackles with 10 passes broken up and zero interceptions.

Sources say they see Peppers (5-11, 213) as a hybrid safety/linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic skill set to play pass coverage, but often can be caught flat-footed. His ball skills aren't special either, as he made just one interception in his collegiate career, which was from catching a tipped pass. Thus, some sources think Peppers would fit best as a safety in the middle of the field. That would allow him to make plays off his instincts, and he could be a weapon in pass coverage on tight ends, blitzing quarterbacks, playing zone, and defending the run. There is no doubt that Peppers has a ton of athletic upside. He could play safety and dime linebacker, similar to Deone Bucannon. Peppers should also be used on special teams as he is a dangerous weapon there.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
From WalterFootball.com:

Walt had this pick in his trades mock, which I liked it a lot. The Packers could consider cornerback help, but they also could look at safety. Peppers would be an upgrade over what they lost in Micah Hyde. Additionally, Morgan Burnett is entering the last year of his contract. Peppers could also help Green Bay as a dime linebacker and returner.

Peppers had a good 2016 season for Michigan with 72 tackles, 16 for a loss, four sacks, one interception, zero pass breakups and one forced fumble. He was electric on special teams and especially phenomenal on punt returns, taking one for a touchdown. The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder was excellent as a sophomore in 2015, recording 45 tackles with 10 passes broken up and zero interceptions.

Sources say they see Peppers (5-11, 213) as a hybrid safety/linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic skill set to play pass coverage, but often can be caught flat-footed. His ball skills aren't special either, as he made just one interception in his collegiate career, which was from catching a tipped pass. Thus, some sources think Peppers would fit best as a safety in the middle of the field. That would allow him to make plays off his instincts, and he could be a weapon in pass coverage on tight ends, blitzing quarterbacks, playing zone, and defending the run. There is no doubt that Peppers has a ton of athletic upside. He could play safety and dime linebacker, similar to Deone Bucannon. Peppers should also be used on special teams as he is a dangerous weapon there.

Pass on Peppers, one pick in his college career is one more than you on your couch.  Peppers is way overhyped.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
From WalterFootball.com:

Pass on Peppers, one pick in his college career is one more than you on your couch.  Peppers is way overhyped.

:)

Good school pedigree - but I've never seen him play - so no opinion other than his stats didnt overwhelm me either.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Offensive:

Christian McCaffrey
Corey Davis
David Njoku  (don't expect it with our investment at TE but he's going to develop into a star)
Dion Dawkins   (don't really want him at #29 at all but if the team were to take an OL this is the guy I want)

Defensive:
JARRAD DAVIS
Haason Reddick
TJ Watt
Charles Harris
Malik McDowell
Chidobe Awuzie
Gareon Conley
Tre'Davious White

Order of preference: McCaffrey / C Davis / J Davis

Don't want:
Joe Mixon
Teez Tabor
Quincy Wilson
Taco Charlton
Jabrill Peppers
Caleb Brantley  (hope, hope there's some agreement on this board he shouldn't be drafted)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:17:19 AM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
Most years I usually zero in on a player or two, but this year I'm all over the place.
We have at least 4 positions we need a strong player to help: OLB, CB, G, RB and these are just for starters.
So, I'm hoping #29 is one of these positions.

Keeping that in mind there are some players that will obviously be off the board and some that are close to our range, but I expect them to be taken before our pick. They include:

Gone before our pick

Christian McCaffrey - in the teens
Haason Reddick - in the 20's
Gareon Conley - the the teens
TJ Watt - Dallas at 28 - but if available he's the guy for me.

Guys who could fall to us that I want:
Chidobe Awuzie
Tre'Davious White
Marlon Humphrey
Jarrad David - can he play in a 3-4?
Kevin King

Don't want:
Joe Mixon - but if TT thinks he is worth the risk I would trust his judgment, but my guess is he will go early in the 2nd round.
Jabrill Peppers - great athlete, but not a super football player - I bet you a buck he won't be drafted in the 1st round.
Dalvin Cook - this is the quote that scares me "Cook has a terrifying trio of red flags: injury (chronic shoulder issues), off-the-field (several previous arrests) and fumbling (13 career fumbles). He also didn’t test well at the combine."

My Dark Horse Pick:
Tyus Bowser - this is who I expect TT to select for the 29th pick. I'm not saying he's my favorite or I expect him to be a star, but I just have a hunch TT likes him. I expect him to be available and I think he is more respected by GMs than lacky mock draft guys.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:58:36 AM by jameslofton »

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »
From social media:
Pro Football Rumors‏ @pfrumors  14m14 minutes ago
More
 Michigan's Jabrill Peppers Fails Drug Test https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/04/michigans-jabrill-peppers-fails-drug-test
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
Hmm, in order of preference (of those who I think have some chance of being there)

LB Jarrad Davis
CB Gareon Conley
LB Zach Cunningham
CB TreDavious White
DE/LB Takkarist McKinley
DE/LB Derek Barnett
LB T.J.Watt
TE Evan Engram
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
Here are the guys who I would like:
Foster
Cunningham
Watt
Harris
Humphrey
White
King

Don't like:
Mixon
Peppers
Cook
Charlton (I see him as a DE in 4-3)
Brantley

My favorite is Davis the ILB from FL.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
I want Myles Garrett but we're going to get one of the following or someone else............

TJ Watt
Malik McDowell
Jabril Peppers
Marlon Humphrey
Takkarist McKinley
Charles Harris

I just don't see Ted going RB or G in round 1.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
If we're talking about marginal 1st round guys, I think TT trades down.

I'm not in love with a lot of the names I see on here at #29, but they'd definitely be possibilities if we're talking about the pick 33-43 range.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
Looks like Peppers tested positive at the combine. Many think he drops into round 2 now. I'm thinking a trade back into round 2 is a possibility.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Perhaps you want to cross reference your selections with this article........

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19212438/which-college-football-programs-produce-best-worst-nfl-players