October 16, 2019, 02:16:07 PM

Author Topic: #29 Who Do You Like?  (Read 4597 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
I like the trade back this year. Certain TT will use all the time on the clock.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »

Agree, unless someone falls in our lap.   From #29, the talent drop off isn't that huge going back to the mid second.  If you can pick up another pick in the process, I say do it.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
1) Jarrad Davis
2) Jordan Willis
3) Watt
4) Lamp
5) Cunningham

Our middle linebacking corps SUCKS!!!!!!  I think it is a huge mistake to move Mathews to the middle.  Draft a headhunter, one will fall to us.  I am intrigued with Mathews on one side and Willis/Watt on the other!  I think Willis is just as good, if not better as the #1 touted DE Garrett!

Don't want to hear anything about a RB or WR til rds 4-5. 

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »

Agree, unless someone falls in our lap.   From #29, the talent drop off isn't that huge going back to the mid second.  If you can pick up another pick in the process, I say do it.

I'm totally on board with all of this.
The only things i don't like is I will have to wait another day to hear the name on the card :)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Can anyone tell what Watt's injury history is and if he is good to go? Or easily broken?

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
Most years I usually zero in on a player or two, but this year I'm all over the place.
We have at least 4 positions we need a strong player to help: OLB, CB, G, RB and these are just for starters.
So, I'm hoping #29 is one of these positions.

Keeping that in mind there are some players that will obviously be off the board and some that are close to our range, but I expect them to be taken before our pick. They include:

Gone before our pick

Christian McCaffrey - in the teens
Haason Reddick - in the 20's
Gareon Conley - the the teens
TJ Watt - Dallas at 28 - but if available he's the guy for me.

Guys who could fall to us that I want:
Chidobe Awuzie
Tre'Davious White
Marlon Humphrey
Jarrad David - can he play in a 3-4?
Kevin King

Don't want:
Joe Mixon - but if TT thinks he is worth the risk I would trust his judgment, but my guess is he will go early in the 2nd round.
Jabrill Peppers - great athlete, but not a super football player - I bet you a buck he won't be drafted in the 1st round.
Dalvin Cook - this is the quote that scares me "Cook has a terrifying trio of red flags: injury (chronic shoulder issues), off-the-field (several previous arrests) and fumbling (13 career fumbles). He also didn’t test well at the combine."

My Dark Horse Pick:
Tyus Bowser - this is who I expect TT to select for the 29th pick. I'm not saying he's my favorite or I expect him to be a star, but I just have a hunch TT likes him. I expect him to be available and I think he is more respected by GMs than lacky mock draft guys.
I completely agree. Have thought this for a while now.

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I really like Bowser. If not Watt than I'm on board with selecting Bowser. I've soured a bit on taking a CB with the first round pick. Capers scheme is said to be pretty complex. I see less of an impact out of a CB. Now if we want to take one in the 2nd and double  down in the 4th. I'm good with it.

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »
I would put the odds of the Packers staying at 29 at around 50%, with a 40% chance of trading back, and 10% of trading up.  So, I believe there is a very good chance that we do not pick at 29, but it all depends on who is available at 29. 

If we trade back and get a 2nd and 4th, we could easily use the 2nd round pick we get, and have plenty of ammunition to trade up from pick 61.  In this case, I would expect a pass rusher with the first pick in the 2nd round and a corner with the second pick.

But, if we do stay at 29 and don't have any intention of moving up in the 2nd round, then we almost have to take a corner.  By pick 61, the first two levels of corners will most likely be gone.  I did see one Packer mock drafter take Sidney Jones (79 on CBSSports.com) at 61, and said that he got the best corner in the draft in the second round.  Interesting thought. 

So, at 29, I think the best CB's that might be available will be Chidobe Awuzie, but I expect him to be gone, then Tre'Davious White, Quincy Wilson, and Fabian Moreau.  I would be fine with any of those 3, but I would take Tre'Davious White.  Again, If Awuzie is there, I would take him.

The other possible pick at 29, outside of CB, would be Takarist McKinley (unless Watt would fall to us, but I think that is very unlikely).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:24:12 PM by stillcrazee »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
ESPN draft just done:

29. Green Bay Packers

T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

There's more than one way for the Packers' to fix their 31st-ranked pass defense. Yes, a cornerback would be the obvious way, and Alabama's Marlon Humphrey could help in that regard. The other way is the pass rush, and Watt is a ready-made 3-4 outside linebacker and, of course, a fan favorite. Even Clay Matthews said earlier this offseason that he'd love to team up with J.J. Watt's younger brother. -- Rob Demovsky

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19241424/2017-nfl-nation-mock-draft-cleveland-browns-get-myles-garrett-texas-aggies-mitchell-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels

Note: The Steelers nabbed Corey Davis @ #30.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:47:10 PM by Leader »

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
ESPN draft just done:

29. Green Bay Packers

There's more than one way for the Packers' to fix their 31st-ranked pass defense. Yes, a cornerback would be the obvious way, and Alabama's Marlon Humphrey could help in that regard. The other way is the pass rush, and Watt is a ready-made 3-4 outside linebacker and, of course, a fan favorite. Even Clay Matthews said earlier this offseason that he'd love to team up with J.J. Watt's younger brother. -- Rob Demovsky

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19241424/2017-nfl-nation-mock-draft-cleveland-browns-get-myles-garrett-texas-aggies-mitchell-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels

NFL Network had us taking T.J. Watt at # 29.  I am all for it, but I think he goes in the early 20's.  The Cowboys, at # 28 have had Watt in for a visit.  They need a pass rusher.  I really hope he makes it to us but I just don't think it is going to happen.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:25 PM »
NFL Network had us taking T.J. Watt at # 29.  I am all for it, but I think he goes in the early 20's.  The Cowboys, at # 28 have had Watt in for a visit.  They need a pass rusher.  I really hope he makes it to us but I just don't think it is going to happen.

Everybody's got us taking Watt. He should just pack his bags now!  :)
The ESPN folks thought it was a bit of a reach - based on horizontal/talent listing as he's not done developing - but filling a need. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:02:07 PM by Leader »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 03:45:29 AM »
ESPN draft just done:

29. Green Bay Packers

He wouldn't have got as far as the Steelers, if I'd been drafting !  What a value pick.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 04:56:12 AM »

He wouldn't have got as far as the Steelers, if I'd been drafting !  What a value pick.

Tell ya true....I've not given WR much thought this year at all - but I've seen this guy's name mentioned here by others and when he went to the Steelers @30 and listened/saw his attributes - I had "wouldnt that be nice" thoughts. Not currently a pressing "need" for the GBP's - I get that - but its not so far down the calendar either as to be forgotten. Dont know / cant say how well he'll do in the NFL - but he's one of the few gems coming out of this draft class.

maxman44

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »
Don't Want:
TJ Watt
Jabrill Peppers
Joe Mixon

Offline dbishop

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
I would put the odds of the Packers staying at 29 at around 50%, with a 40% chance of trading back, and 10% of trading up.  So, I believe there is a very good chance that we do not pick at 29, but it all depends on who is available at 29. 

If we trade back and get a 2nd and 4th, we could easily use the 2nd round pick we get, and have plenty of ammunition to trade up from pick 61.  In this case, I would expect a pass rusher with the first pick in the 2nd round and a corner with the second pick.

But, if we do stay at 29 and don't have any intention of moving up in the 2nd round, then we almost have to take a corner.  By pick 61, the first two levels of corners will most likely be gone.  I did see one Packer mock drafter take Sidney Jones (79 on CBSSports.com) at 61, and said that he got the best corner in the draft in the second round.  Interesting thought. 

So, at 29, I think the best CB's that might be available will be Chidobe Awuzie, but I expect him to be gone, then Tre'Davious White, Quincy Wilson, and Fabian Moreau.  I would be fine with any of those 3, but I would take Tre'Davious White.  Again, If Awuzie is there, I would take him.

The other possible pick at 29, outside of CB, would be Takarist McKinley (unless Watt would fall to us, but I think that is very unlikely).

When thinking about trading up, whether it is the 1st round or a later round, remember that GB is currently scheduled to get a least 4 comp picks next year.
So, could Ted use a pick from next years draft to move up in this years draft?