October 16, 2019, 12:48:46 PM

Author Topic: #29 Who Do You Like?  (Read 4596 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online The GM

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2862
  • Karma: +69/-4
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
I would put the odds of the Packers staying at 29 at around 50%, with a 40% chance of trading back, and 10% of trading up.  So, I believe there is a very good chance that we do not pick at 29, but it all depends on who is available at 29. 

If we trade back and get a 2nd and 4th, we could easily use the 2nd round pick we get, and have plenty of ammunition to trade up from pick 61.  In this case, I would expect a pass rusher with the first pick in the 2nd round and a corner with the second pick.

But, if we do stay at 29 and don't have any intention of moving up in the 2nd round, then we almost have to take a corner.  By pick 61, the first two levels of corners will most likely be gone.  I did see one Packer mock drafter take Sidney Jones (79 on CBSSports.com) at 61, and said that he got the best corner in the draft in the second round.  Interesting thought. 

So, at 29, I think the best CB's that might be available will be Chidobe Awuzie, but I expect him to be gone, then Tre'Davious White, Quincy Wilson, and Fabian Moreau.  I would be fine with any of those 3, but I would take Tre'Davious White.  Again, If Awuzie is there, I would take him.

The other possible pick at 29, outside of CB, would be Takarist McKinley (unless Watt would fall to us, but I think that is very unlikely).

When thinking about trading up, whether it is the 1st round or a later round, remember that GB is currently scheduled to get a least 4 comp picks next year.
So, could Ted use a pick from next years draft to move up in this years draft?

You dont know what those comp picks are next year.  Not sure if you can trade next years comp picks this year, but you can trade this years comp picks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:00:37 AM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

  • All Pro
  • ****
  • Posts: 361
  • Karma: +6/-0
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Usually I get a pretty good feel of how things are going to drop to us 24-48 hours before the 1st round, but not this year. As much as I'd like to think that TT will have his choice between Watt and Corey Davis, I think there's little chance of it.

Online OneTwoSixFive

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2425
  • Karma: +20/-10
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
I would put the odds of the Packers staying at 29 at around 50%, with a 40% chance of trading back, and 10% of trading up.  So, I believe there is a very good chance that we do not pick at 29, but it all depends on who is available at 29. 

If we trade back and get a 2nd and 4th, we could easily use the 2nd round pick we get, and have plenty of ammunition to trade up from pick 61.  In this case, I would expect a pass rusher with the first pick in the 2nd round and a corner with the second pick.

But, if we do stay at 29 and don't have any intention of moving up in the 2nd round, then we almost have to take a corner.  By pick 61, the first two levels of corners will most likely be gone.  I did see one Packer mock drafter take Sidney Jones (79 on CBSSports.com) at 61, and said that he got the best corner in the draft in the second round.  Interesting thought. 

So, at 29, I think the best CB's that might be available will be Chidobe Awuzie, but I expect him to be gone, then Tre'Davious White, Quincy Wilson, and Fabian Moreau.  I would be fine with any of those 3, but I would take Tre'Davious White.  Again, If Awuzie is there, I would take him.

The other possible pick at 29, outside of CB, would be Takarist McKinley (unless Watt would fall to us, but I think that is very unlikely).

When thinking about trading up, whether it is the 1st round or a later round, remember that GB is currently scheduled to get a least 4 comp picks next year.
So, could Ted use a pick from next years draft to move up in this years draft?

You dont know what those comp picks are next year.  Not sure if you can trade next years comp picks this year, but you can trade this years comp picks.

Because of the uncertainty of what years pick is, you have to pay a good sized bonus if you are getting a 'this-years' pick for next years. That move is for struggling teams, desperate for something extra this year to help them keep their jobs.

Much, much smarter, is to give up a high pick this year, for a considerably lower pick this year, plus a high pick next year. It's not a popular move for fans, I get that, but it gives a better return in the long term. If you commit to do this one year, then from the following year on, you get more control of the draft, you can move around more to where you want to be. You can continue to trade extra picks for the future, so the control aspect continues on into the future. This is what New England used to do, but got away from (Belichek is very good at a lot of things, but is a less than stellar drafter).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
  • Karma: +13/-0
    • Uncover
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Either Jarred Davis-1st or TJ Watt-2nd if those guys gone if Humphrey is on the board-3rd. Now let's say there are no 1st rd edge guys left or even an ILB. The obvious selection would be CB. If they are gone....Mixon.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Leader

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13020
  • Karma: +2/-0
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »
Mike Mayock: GP picks Alvin Kamara @ 29.

Offline golfman

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11870
  • Karma: +9/-1
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
Mike Mayock: GP picks Alvin Kamara @ 29.

I used to like Mike Mayock too!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13020
  • Karma: +2/-0
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 06:11:16 PM »
Mike Mayock: GP picks Alvin Kamara @ 29.
I used to like Mike Mayock too!

You dont like the pick?

Offline packdaddy

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 702
  • Karma: +40/-2
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
Mike Mayock: GP picks Alvin Kamara @ 29.
I used to like Mike Mayock too!

You dont like the pick?

Not unless he can help our pass defense.

Online scoremore

  • HOF Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1651
  • Karma: +24/-7
Re: #29 Who Do You Like?
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
I wouldn't like it.  Think we can get a talented back in the later rounds.  Warming up to Quincy Wilson.  He should be available.  TT should go BPA however with all else being equal he'll go for either a pass rusher or CB.  In order to go WR, TE, or RB that player would have to be clearly BPA don't think Kamara fits that standard.  Need a top 15 guy to fall.  Hoping Watt is available but really think he'll be gone.