December 05, 2019, 07:03:22 PM

Author Topic: What trades do you think might happen during the draft?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
What trades do you think might happen during the draft?
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
 Just like everybody, I'm so excited about the upcoming draft, I can't really wait for it to get here. I thought I'd throw out a topic Because it seems like so many of the other ones have been so overly discussed that they've seemed to have broken broken down  into the same couple of people repeating the same argument over and over again.
 We know very little about what Ted Thompson is going to do except we know he is not going to sit still  at the same 8 spots we have been mocking for the last several months.
 Lombardi Avenue has a great article on three possible trade scenarios. http://lombardiave.com/2017/04/25/packers-2017-draft-3-trade-partners/. I was wondering how you feel about these, or any other possible trades you think might happen?

I thought I would also throw out a possible trade that would probably never happen, but I'll throw it out there anyway.  I am concerned about something that was mentioned before in the Day 4 thread - about the tight end position, not this year, but going forward. Tight end is a  position that has a lot of excellent prospect this year but because of the number of holes we have I can't justify making a selection with just 8 picks. Next year it looks like we're going to have a wealth of draft picks, and I don't see as many needs.   What do you think about packaging, say our  fourth round pick next year and perhaps Richard Rodgers to get  either a late third or early fourth round pick and select a TE prospect for next year, perhaps George Kittle or maybe we could even get Jake Butt.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:52:20 AM by Starr2Max »

Offline rock county

• Starter
Re: What trades do you think might happen during the draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »
Find a taker and I'd be all over that swap.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »
I'm still going with the trade with the Chargers, where the Packers trade their pick #29 for their 38th. In return they swap 3rd rounders, so the Packers get the chargers pick #71 and lose #93.
Rationale ? Chargers want a QB and they want an offensive tackle. Packers are in a good spot for both.

End result:
Packers draft at #38, #61, #71
Chargers draft at #7, #29, #93.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm all for trading down and out of the 1st round, but I've only seen TT do it once, so I'd be surprised if it happens.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
If T.J. Watt is there at #29 do you trade down?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:20:03 PM »

I'd snag Watt if available. We'll see what the better informed GMs do.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Watt would be just another guy in our system.  Injury concerns and he'd need to get much stronger.  If his name wasnt Watt, he wouldnt be considered in the first.  Hate to say it, but hes going to require some juice to be good at the next level.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:00:22 PM by The GM »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:45:55 PM »
Watt has heart.  Watched him at Wisconsin he was the leader of the defense.  Heard other scouts pretty much agreeing with you GM.  As for me I see a guy who will give it on every down.  He'll play with emotion.  He'll have a chip.  Guy is just a real good football player.  Versatile can play him inside or out.  Would have no problem with the pick he's my first choice although he has been rising and probably won't be available to us anyway.   Think it is likely that most players that TT covets will be gone.  Think there is a strong possibility of a trade back.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 03:33:35 AM »

I probably would trade down, but there are plenty of fans that like him enough to take him at #29. I guess it all depends on your board. If (at #29) you have a bunch of guys with similar grades, then (assuming decent trade value) down you go. I do like the value you get from trading down with the first pick, this is a deep draft, and the Packers need to fill several spots.

Referencing Starr2Max's original post, I'd be tempted by TEs Kittle and Sprinkle, somewhere in the 4th-5th rounds.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:40:26 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:51:04 AM »
What do you think about packaging, say our  fourth round pick next year and perhaps Richard Rodgers to get  either a late third or early fourth round pick and select a TE prospect for next year, perhaps George Kittle or maybe we could even get Jake Butt.

Apparently Richard Rodgers has become the new incarnation of William Henderson when it comes to projected trades. When Henderson was playing, there was seemingly always someone who would trade him and a low draft pick for a very good player or a choice draft pick. The fact that Rodgers is a JAG TE who has very limited value to the Packers, much less another team, doesn't seem to matter. If you want value, you're going to be expected to give up some value. And Rodgers has very little value.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »
What do you think about packaging, say our  fourth round pick next year and perhaps Richard Rodgers to get  either a late third or early fourth round pick and select a TE prospect for next year, perhaps George Kittle or maybe we could even get Jake Butt.

Apparently Richard Rodgers has become the new incarnation of William Henderson when it comes to projected trades. When Henderson was playing, there was seemingly always someone who would trade him and a low draft pick for a very good player or a choice draft pick. The fact that Rodgers is a JAG TE who has very limited value to the Packers, much less another team, doesn't seem to matter. If you want value, you're going to be expected to give up some value. And Rodgers has very little value.

Agree, Its a very good TE draft too.  Nobody is going to offer the Packers anything for Rodgers.  His best chance is being a throw in on some other deal.  Not happening.