March 20, 2019, 02:05:45 AM

Author Topic: Thursday - Day 1 Draft Discussion  (Read 35070 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Re: Thursday - Day 1 Draft Discussion
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2017, 09:53:26 PM »
I think there are some good players that fulfill needs we have still on the board.  I am surprised that Cook is still there.

But there is also King, Moreau, Cunningham, Williams and Lamp.  But unless there was something wrong with Foster, that is the guy I would have taken.  Watching his tape, he was the best ILB in the draft, hands down.  He would have immediately benched Ryan, Thomas and Martinez.  With him and CM 3 in the middle, I mean we would have been awesome.  Against both the run and pass.  Foster is incredibly quick, hits very hard, has good range, and plays not with a motor, but with a Mack truck engine for a heart. 

I just wonder is someone will trade us for Sidney Jones or Cam Robinson. 

BTW, this first round could not have been scripted any better for the Vikes.  The two best centers are still there, the two best guards, and what many thought was the best tackle.

It won't matter, they are after Mixon. Lamp and Robinson will be gone.

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #436 on: April 27, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
IMO, we are more than two players away from legitimately contending for a Super Bowl after almost losing to Dallas and then getting crushed by Atlanta. Honestly, I see us as at least 2 seasons away from legitimately contending--our defense needs to be rebuilt and our offense needs to be at least maintained at its current level.

Hence, I LOVE this trade down,  especially if TT can now garner an extra 3rd rnd pick from a desperate team willing to pay that price to move up to pick #33. For one, TT can add decent depth  for Oline, Dline, WR, as well as 'potentially' gain 2 eventual starters, say at RB and CB.  Add next years draft with all those picks, and we could legetimately contend for a couple seasons in a row, say 2 or 3 years from now.

I love it that TT is facing the reality that we wont get beyond this plateau we've been at and reach the Super Bowl unless we do a semi-rebuild of the defense and keep the offense sufficiently stocked.

And yes, in that light of thinking 2-3 years from now, picking a potential starter at OG like Lamp would make sense. If TT thought we were legitimate contenders next year and only needed a couple starters, then yes, this trade down was wrong. But he doesnt. He is addressing the reality of the situation and I'm glad he is. Draft and develop, baby!

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #437 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
I don't hear mention about Quincy Wilson at S or possibly CB...just not considered in the mix at this stage?

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
Ted is listening:

“General manager Ted Thompson did note that he is open to shopping the first pick of day two: ‘Oh yeah, you can put that down,' he said. ‘That’ll save us a couple of phone calls.”

Tomorrow will be Most Interesting!

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #439 on: April 27, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »
Not a super credible source, but some NFL guys on Twitter seem to think there is a bit of interest in our first pick of the 2nd round. 

If a decent number of teams want that, I say put a price tag of a mid 2nd and a 3rd on the pick.  At that point you would have two 2nds, two 3rds, and two 4ths (and two 5ths).  Try and move a 3rd and both 4ths for a late 2nd and we come away with three 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder.

Pipe dream, but with the law of averages, that would likely net us 2 good players with a chance at a 3rd if the cards fall right.

(if we were to trade back and have 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, wherever they may be, would love to grab Mixon first.  Then spend a pick or two on corners and the best available defensive player with the other, in whatever order makes the most sense based on the board)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #440 on: April 27, 2017, 10:48:12 PM »
Here’s an article with a list of some of the more well-known prospects who are still available, specifically those who might interest the Packers:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/4/27/15464316/2017-nfl-draft-best-players-remaining-day-2-packers

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #441 on: April 27, 2017, 10:53:43 PM »
Quincy Wilson can be a good CB, but there were so many good ones in this draft that he got pushed out of the first round.

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2017, 10:57:01 PM »
That and he lack elite speed, much like Desmond King many project him as a safety in the long run.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #443 on: April 28, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »
The temper of this board will really rise when Lamp is picked tomorrow.
No. not happening.

Especially after we signed Evans.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #444 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
Who's the pick tomorrow?

I say CB Kevin King!

Weaknesses:
Timed speed and play speed are both concerns. Sluggish feet in press allow quick-releasers to shoot past him. Unable to find necessary acceleration for functional makeup speed. Hands are flimsy in his jams. Could use more upper body strength. High center of gravity makes sudden change of direction a challenge. NFL ball production could be a concern. Takes path to his man over paths to the ball. Lacks desired twitch for NFL transitioning to the throws. Takes too long from bail technique and backpedal to plant and burst on the ball. Ankle biter willing to engage in too many arm tackles and blind shoulder rolls.

Draft Projection Round 1-2

Sources Tell Us:
"I'm not 100 percent sure what you do with him because he's not a physical tackler, but he's almost too tall to be trusted against shifty receivers. Maybe a team like Seattle, which love those long, press corners. Or you might see a team try and make him a free safety." -- West Coast regional scout for AFC team

NFL Comparison Damian Swann

Bottom Line:
Unusually tall cornerback with experience playing in the slot and as a starting safety. Showed improved instincts and ball production in 2016, but there are still concerns about whether he has the athleticism and recovery speed to utilize his length to play the football. Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler.

Tall I dont mind. Slow CB's concern me however

We already have one of those...   :P

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #445 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:14 AM »
Packers are getting calls about pick 33.  Teams looking at QBs Kizer and Davis Webb.  May be some fireworks tomorrow.

Man, am I glad we don't need a QB this year!    :P

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52:30 AM »
I cannot believe we traded out of that pick if Foster is healthy.  That guy is a beast.  I am tired of playing teams with good young LB's that I have never heard of.  My kingdom for an LB picked before the 3rd round.

Payne85

Foster might not be healthy.  Why else would a guy like him fall like a rock?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:18 AM »
I cannot believe we traded out of that pick if Foster is healthy.  That guy is a beast.  I am tired of playing teams with good young LB's that I have never heard of.  My kingdom for an LB picked before the 3rd round.

Payne85

Foster might not be healthy.  Why else would a guy like him fall like a rock?

Mayock on NFL Network "reluctantly" reported that late bad medical information came out on Foster. He reported it when DET was supposed to make a selection - they were in the market for an ILB - and if they didnt select Foster it would "reflect badly on him/that medical news...." - well, they selected the ILB from Florida. Thats certainly not conclusive - but if could be something. The guy HITS like a MAC TRUCK!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:34:10 AM by Leader »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #448 on: April 28, 2017, 05:28:36 AM »
Disastrous Combine, getting kicked out and failing the Combine drug test with a diluted sample.   History of shoulder problems including stingers as well as at least one diagnosed concussion.  With his bat-out-of-hell playing style probably a lot of worries of additional concussions (see Kuechly, Luke)

Not a surprise Foster fell with all those issues - but having said that would have LOVED to have added him (or Watt) to our team.   Legit three down backer with the play mentality to become the identity of your team.  Mike Daniels may have been so excited even his twitter account got pregnant

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #449 on: April 28, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
IMO, we are more than two players away from legitimately contending for a Super Bowl after almost losing to Dallas and then getting crushed by Atlanta. Honestly, I see us as at least 2 seasons away from legitimately contending--our defense needs to be rebuilt and our offense needs to be at least maintained at its current level.

You do realize the Packers did beat the Cowboys on their turf? You do realize that Atlanta was on their twice a decade run, and will probably fade into obscurity this year? You do realize the Packers defensive backfield was decimated by injury, that Matthews was playing hurt, and that the team health overall was not good. So, to say they're two to three years away is nonsense. The Packers are perennial SB contenders for a reason. And the idea of "one or two players away" is dangerous. Because then you draft for perceived need, or sign that expensive FA at the position of perceived need, fall short, and are limited by self imposed circumstances from making the team better. In short, I reject your premise and your pessimism.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid