May 19, 2019, 07:54:07 PM

Author Topic: Players I am interested in  (Read 9817 times)

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
Re: Players I am interested in
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
I'm a big Hunt fan.  But he is already old, isn't he like 26?  And yet he is considered raw.  I wouldn't touch him in the first round. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
I'm a big Hunt fan.  But he is already old, isn't he like 26?  And yet he is considered raw.  I wouldn't touch him in the first round.

I wouldn't consider him as raw. He's not anymore polished than others at his position, and they don't have his size. I think some scouts/draft sites just automatically look at his size and declare him as raw because he hasn't been in the spotlight. He could easily be the next Watt.

I think if you're going to say he's raw that is the biggest compliment to give a guy like that, and I could care less about his age. It's not like he's a running back with a large amount of miles. He's the kind of player who stays peaked for a long time.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:03 AM »

I wouldn't consider him as raw. He's not anymore polished than others at his position, and they don't have his size. I think some scouts/draft sites just automatically look at his size and declare him as raw because he hasn't been in the spotlight. He could easily be the next Watt.

I think if you're going to say he's raw that is the biggest compliment to give a guy like that, and I could care less about his age. It's not like he's a running back with a large amount of miles. He's the kind of player who stays peaked for a long time.
Watt is 3-4 years younger than him right now and has two years of NFL game experience and one year of NFL strength and conditioning.  That is huge.
I'm not a fan of taking a 26 year old in the first round, pretty much at any position.  The Eagles did it with that guard, Wadkins a few years ago, and I don't know if he has played much.
Obviously Weeden played and made rookie errors, even though he is as old, if not older than our QB Rodgers. 
I just don't like it.
Feel free to disagree, but it rarely works out good for the team.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Barret Jones seems like exactly the kind of player TT goes for in that he is smart, versatile, and reliable. 

Having someone at the center postion that loves football and is highly intelligent to give the ball to Rodgers sound like a match made in heaven.  Still despite his limited athleticism and low priority position(assuming he stays at center), think that ultimately we will be disappointed as some team will pick him before the Pack get to select.
What I like about Barret Jones is that he can play all of the offensive line positions.
Taking it one step farther.....
He won the Outland Trophy (over Matt Kahlil) as a LT, then moved to center and was instrumental in the Championship route. 
For me it isn't just that he is versatile, it is that he can be elite.

But he's not elite. Warmack is rated over him and Cooper is better than him.

He's a good player, but who would he replace here? He would replace anyone on our current O-Line.....Most feel his best position is left guard and there's no way he replaces Lang.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
Finding a way to get into position to pick Ogeltree would be awesome! I think the guy would be a stud in the middle foray years.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
Barret Jones seems like exactly the kind of player TT goes for in that he is smart, versatile, and reliable. 

Having someone at the center postion that loves football and is highly intelligent to give the ball to Rodgers sound like a match made in heaven.  Still despite his limited athleticism and low priority position(assuming he stays at center), think that ultimately we will be disappointed as some team will pick him before the Pack get to select.
What I like about Barret Jones is that he can play all of the offensive line positions.
He won the Outland Trophy (over Matt Kahlil) as a LT, then moved to center and was instrumental in the Championship route. 

He's a good player, but who would he replace here? He would replace anyone on our current O-Line.....Most feel his best position is left guard and there's no way he replaces Lang.
He was the best offensive linemen in college football two years ago.  Beat out Kalil who went very high in the draft, as a left tackle.  To me, that means he has elite talent in him.  Maybe it is at left tackle, maybe it is center, I don't know.  But that is a tough award to win.

Offline Patty

• Rookie
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
Thanks for updating the fact that Trey Millard went back to OU

I am sure most of us who follow the talent have our favorites. I usually wind up with a list that includes 6 to 9 for round 1 and the same for  round 2. Round 3 my final list has about 8 or 9.

When the dust settles I usually have 23 to 27 players that I want for the Packers. Players that fit our schemes and are skilled or very athletic and smart.Players that understand their position and know how to play football and most desirable have that fire and gleam in their eyes.

For me the rounds that I pay close attention are the 3rd and 4th rounds. Here is where you can really build up your roster. Teams make mistakes in rounds 2 and 3 and if your fortunate to be in position to capitalize you  can get very good players even in round 4.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
All of these guys on her list (Hi Patty!) make my pulse race but will any of them still be around when we chose...?    :-\

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »

He was the best offensive linemen in college football two years ago.  Beat out Kalil who went very high in the draft, as a left tackle.  To me, that means he has elite talent in him.  Maybe it is at left tackle, maybe it is center, I don't know.  But that is a tough award to win.

i have to agree that he is not elite.  dont get me wrong i like Jones alot... even in the 1st round about 6weeks ago but i have changed my opinion.  After watching alot of film on him he just doesnt wow.  he is a steady eddie.  that isnt a knock on him in the least bit but he isnt elite.  He didnt really move ppl around in the run game and the packers need a guy that can get a push at center.  Cooper does that.  watch his tape the guy moves effortlessly.  I wouldnt mind jones as a packer but not at 26. 

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
Best.  Offensive.  Lineman.  In. The. Country.  Two.  Years.  Ago. 

He reminds me of Peter Konz.  Maybe a little stronger.  Konz started at RG and is still playing and playing at a very high level.
His technique reminds me of Tauscher and Clifton.  Mirror, not maul.  Win with technique.  He has all of this and maybe a little more "nasty" than both of them. 

Were Taush and Cliffy elite?  Interesting debate.  I feel that they were just a notch below elite, but certainly both were very good. 

And there is little hope that Jones lasts to our pick.  Two tackles went back to school.  That should push him up in the draft, as will he versatility, as will his college production.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
when it comes to guards and tackles i think thre is a differance on how a guy plays and what you are looking for.  I dont want a guard that mirrors, thats fine for a tackle but guards need to maul in the nfl.  If you dont move ppl in the NFL dont expect to be a great running team.  Konz i would agrue is more of a power player then Jones.  i disagree that jones is stronger. 

Now is far as technique Jones has that.  he wins with technique and not as much his physical dominance. 

college awards imo dont always mean you were the best at a certain position.  This is not a knock on Jones but awards are bias.  yes he is a very very good college football player but so was that whole line.  I like Jones, he will be a solid player at the next level but hes not the second coming. 

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
when it comes to guards and tackles i think thre is a differance on how a guy plays and what you are looking for.  I dont want a guard that mirrors, thats fine for a tackle but guards need to maul in the nfl.  If you dont move ppl in the NFL dont expect to be a great running team.  Konz i would agrue is more of a power player then Jones.  i disagree that jones is stronger. 

Now is far as technique Jones has that.  he wins with technique and not as much his physical dominance. 

college awards imo dont always mean you were the best at a certain position.  This is not a knock on Jones but awards are bias.  yes he is a very very good college football player but so was that whole line.  I like Jones, he will be a solid player at the next level but hes not the second coming.
Konz was quite weak at the combine.  18 reps on the bench.  Granted he has/had long arms, but that is still a low number.  I expect Jones will be well ahead of that number.

I watched a Falcon game and especially watched Konz.  He wins with his feet and his quickness.  They were even pulling him.  I wouldn't say that he played with power.  But that was just one game.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
when it comes to guards and tackles i think thre is a difference on how a guy plays and what you are looking for.  I dont want a guard that mirrors, thats fine for a tackle but guards need to maul in the nfl.  If you dont move ppl in the NFL dont expect to be a great running team.  Konz i would agrue is more of a power player then Jones.  i disagree that jones is stronger. 

Konz was quite weak at the combine.  18 reps on the bench.  Granted he has/had long arms, but that is still a low number.  I expect Jones will be well ahead of that number.

I watched a Falcon game and especially watched Konz.  He wins with his feet and his quickness.  They were even pulling him.  I wouldn't say that he played with power.  But that was just one game.

dont mean to knitpick but the 225 bench test doesnt really show if someone is "weak'...  well it does if you cant do it at all  :).  it shows more Endurance then anything.  Konz even stated that he wasnt trained to lift 225 x amount of times but he trains 450 x 8 or so.   so i wouldnt say he was weak at the combine.  also benching isnt a standard that NFL or most athletes go by in terms of strength and power.  i would be worried if a guy isnt squatting in large numbers opposed to his high rep bench numbers

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
when it comes to guards and tackles i think thre is a difference on how a guy plays and what you are looking for.  I dont want a guard that mirrors, thats fine for a tackle but guards need to maul in the nfl.  If you dont move ppl in the NFL dont expect to be a great running team.  Konz i would agrue is more of a power player then Jones.  i disagree that jones is stronger. 

dont mean to knitpick but the 225 bench test doesnt really show if someone is "weak'...  well it does if you cant do it at all  :).  it shows more Endurance then anything.  Konz even stated that he wasnt trained to lift 225 x amount of times but he trains 450 x 8 or so.   so i wouldnt say he was weak at the combine.  also benching isnt a standard that NFL or most athletes go by in terms of strength and power.  i would be worried if a guy isnt squatting in large numbers opposed to his high rep bench numbers
Totally agree on all of those points.

But the bench is there as a test, for everyone.  225 pounds doesn't discriminate, it just sits there and says either lift me, or don't.
18 is light by offensive linemen standards.  I have a hard time believing that he can do 450 X 8 and not get 20 on 225.  That should be a nice warmup if he is at that weight.

And if he didn't train for the bench at the Combine, well, I don't know what to say about that as that is just plain dumb.  Those guys train for the Combine big time.  A few more reps could have made him a higher draft pick and more money.  I'm not buying that part of the statement at all.