October 15, 2019, 09:18:35 PM

Author Topic: Matt Flynn being shopped....  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: Matt Flynn being shopped....
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
I get the points for why Flynn may be traded.

But it makes little sense.  He was FREE to sign last year.  And no one bit.  All that happened this season is that rookie QB's came in and made immediate impact.  Luck, RGIII and Wilson made it to the playoffs.  Tannenhill and Weeden showed enough to think that they have futures.

I think it is more likely that other teams will look to the draft for QB's as opposed to trading picks and picking up a larger salary for Flynn.

And le'ts say, for the sake of debate, that he goes to the Jets.  What do the Jets do with Sanchez?  How much money do they eat to let him go?  Again, doesn't make sense.

As I recall, 4 teams actually looked at Flynn (CLE, JAX, MIA and SEA) with 2 teams (MIA and SEA) making offers. Not the expected amount of interest but Manning was out there and a lot of teams had their QB situation settled.

The Jets royally screwed themselves with Sanchez. His caps hits if they cut him are outrageous and they have cap issues already. Unless they can trade him (I laughed out load after I typed that) they are pretty much stuck with him. I guess the Jets need to figure out if winning is more important than the money. Either way, they screwed themselves.

Flynn has $2mil gar. money ($5.25mil base) so I suspect maybe Seattle keeps him as an expensive clipboard holder and the best back up in the league. I doubt they cut him if a deal or trade cannot be reached.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »
I get the points for why Flynn may be traded.

But it makes little sense.  He was FREE to sign last year.  And no one bit.  All that happened this season is that rookie QB's came in and made immediate impact.  Luck, RGIII and Wilson made it to the playoffs.  Tannenhill and Weeden showed enough to think that they have futures.

I think it is more likely that other teams will look to the draft for QB's as opposed to trading picks and picking up a larger salary for Flynn.

And le'ts say, for the sake of debate, that he goes to the Jets.  What do the Jets do with Sanchez?  How much money do they eat to let him go?  Again, doesn't make sense.

As I recall, 4 teams actually looked at Flynn (CLE, JAX, MIA and SEA) with 2 teams (MIA and SEA) making offers. Not the expected amount of interest but Manning was out there and a lot of teams had their QB situation settled.

The Jets royally screwed themselves with Sanchez. His caps hits if they cut him are outrageous and they have cap issues already. Unless they can trade him (I laughed out load after I typed that) they are pretty much stuck with him. I guess the Jets need to figure out if winning is more important than the money. Either way, they screwed themselves.

Flynn has $2mil gar. money ($5.25mil base) so I suspect maybe Seattle keeps him as an expensive clipboard holder and the best back up in the league. I doubt they cut him if a deal or trade cannot be reached.
I agree with all that you wrote, and I too laughed about the Jets.  Would any of us be that much worse of a GM???   ;D

But, I don't think that Miami ever offered Flynn everything.  Could be wrong, though.

Given what happened to RGIII, I would think that if you had a running QB, the backup position becomes even more valuable.  I too see him staying put.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
I agree with all that you wrote, and I too laughed about the Jets.  Would any of us be that much worse of a GM???   ;D

But, I don't think that Miami ever offered Flynn everything.  Could be wrong, though.

Given what happened to RGIII, I would think that if you had a running QB, the backup position becomes even more valuable.  I too see him staying put.

I like your thinking about having a solid back up. It makes perfect sense.

Miami "low balled" Flynn and Seattle about doubled the offer so in reality, did Flynn really have a choice? I would take the money too and a better fit in Seattle anyway.... right up until Wilson came along and ruined everything for him. :) Buy hey, making millions on the bench isn't all that bad!

The Jets actually went out of their way to screw that up. Too funny!  ;D

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »

Miami "low balled" Flynn and Seattle about doubled the offer so in reality, did Flynn really have a choice? I would take the money too and a better fit in Seattle anyway.... right up until Wilson came along and ruined everything for him. :) Buy hey, making millions on the bench isn't all that bad!

I think of a lot of ways, to make millions of dollars year, that are worse than holding a clipboard.  I think he has the best job in the NFL.  Highly paid backup QB.  Much to be envious of.....

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »
But I'm sure Flynn would love to be starting somewhere rather than playing second fiddle to Wilson in Seattle.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
But I'm sure Flynn would love to be starting somewhere rather than playing second fiddle to Wilson in Seattle.
And when he is 50 and sees other teammates dealing with their lives after countless concussions, he will still be able to count his money.....

Again, there are worse jobs to have. 

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »

Did Miami low ball Flynn?  Yes....Seattle about doubled the offer?  No
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
ESPN New York believes the Jets are a "logical landing spot" for Matt Flynn.
New Jets GM John Idzik was in Seattle when the Seahawks signed Flynn to a three-year, $19.5 million contract last March. The Jets will dump their "ground and pound" approach for a West Coast offense under new OC Marty Mornhinweg, and Flynn is a West Coast passer. Mark Sanchez and his career 55.1 completion rate are a dismal fit for Mornhinweg's system on paper. Former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum was like a moth to the flame when it came to "name" players, but it's unknown what kind of philosophy Idzik will adopt. Flynn makes sense in theory, but Sanchez's odious salary could kill a host of logical ideas.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
I'm not sure any QB will do well as a Jet until they fix the offensive line. 

I could see Seattle hanging on to Flynn another year.  He would be good insurance in case Wilson gets hurt for a few games, and it looks like they a good shot at the playoffs again next year.  It will depend on what's offered for Flynn I guess.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »

I could see Seattle hanging on to Flynn another year.  He would be good insurance in case Wilson gets hurt for a few games, and it looks like they a good shot at the playoffs again next year.  It will depend on what's offered for Flynn I guess.

I don't follow Jets football very well but what happened to their line? I thought it was one of the better ones in the league?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:33:38 PM by Bud »
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Jets line isn't all that bad.

Sanchez just sucks.  Probably not his fault.  Wasn't developed properly.

Would love to see Flynn in a Jets uniform. 

Still think he has the ability to be a top 10 QB.

Alot of people think I'm nuts but he is polished and ready to go.

Just needs a chance.  Wilson beat him out and I can see why but still the boy can play.

If I was a GM he'd be worth a late 2nd rounder in Jet's case maybe a 3 and a 5 something like that.

Just want to see him get his chance.  Then we can end the debate on whether he sucks or not.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »

I don't follow Jets football very well but what happened to their line? I thought it was one of the better ones in the league?

People think it pretty good with Mangold and Ferguson, but they have problems at left guard and right tackle.  The OL coach was bent out of shape this year as he was being forced to rotate Slauson and Ducasse, even though Ducasse is not playing well and is being viewed as a failed pick.  At right tackle, they replaced Woody with Hunter, tried to bring in Otah but he failed his physicals, replaced Hunter with Howard, an undrafted free agent in his third year just before the start of the season.  This is a unit that gave up 11 sacks in its last game, though admittedly this occurred after the team had given up.  Just seemed to me one of Sanchez's problems was making bad throws under pressure. 

Remember, the Jets were the ones who claimed Caleb Schluaderhauf off waivers at the end of camp last year because they ended camp with not enough viable linemen.

It seems to me this is just another mistake by Tannenbaum/Ryan.  It seems to me if a team has a young QB you are trying to develop, getting some stability on the OL would be important.  Apparently Rex Ryan disagrees.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline realitybytes

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »

Would love to see Flynn in a Jets uniform. 

Still think he has the ability to be a top 10 QB.

Alot of people think I'm nuts but he is polished and ready to go.

Just needs a chance.  ...

i don't think you're nuts. i also think flynn has the potential to be a top 10 qb. he really had some bad luck getting signed by the seahawks. of course there was no way to know that they would draft wilson (or that a wisconsin qb could actually do well in the nfl). i feel bad for him and hope that he didn't regress a lot sitting on the bench in seattle. i'm not sure i wantto see him go to the jets though. i think he would be a great fit in miami, but they didn't seem all that interested in him when they had the chance to get him last offseason.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
On profootballtalk I guess they say Wilson or his agent has asked for a raise but per the CBA a player can't have their rookie deal re-done until after year 3. They say this might be another reason to trade Flynn is so his backup is not making millions more per year then him.

Also funny reading some of the comments on there. Clearly by morons who don't know a thing about football saying they should cut Wilson then re-sign him to a new deal. Have these people ever heard of a thing called waivers? KC would piss their pants they would be so exicted in getting to claim him.

Offline Cheesedog

• Second String
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »
There is no QB worth the #1 pick this year, so i still see KC as a landing spot for Flynn.. Then they use #1 pick on the O-line.

OAK possibly? They're QB situation is still a mess.

PHI is a possibility as well, I wouldn't wish  that him and he's not the type of QB Kelly wants anyway.

SEA will probably keep him. One good year does not a QB make. And there is still the possibility that Wilson flames out next year and then Flynn could step in. Especially since Wilson's contract is so cheap and they can't change it.