September 18, 2019, 02:15:29 AM

Author Topic: 2013 Mock 1.0  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
2013 Mock 1.0
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
My first mock of the 2013 draft:
First 3 rounds:
1.  Matt Elam, S, Florida
2.  Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
3.  Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Re: 2013 Mock 1.0
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
I can see the 2 defensive players but why a guard with the 2nd pick?   I can see adding some depth inside but replacing Lang isn't a priority for me.

Offline hitnhope

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
Really dont like the first pick.  He's not good enough.

Dont like the 2nd pick- wrong type player at the wrong position for us.

The 3rd pick is ok- but too soon in the draft for the type player he is.  1-2 rounds later sounds good.

Offline DenverPackFan

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
I've read some very good things about Elam, but also some negative things.  So I'd be OK with it, but considering that I'd also be OK with any of Vaccaro, McDonald, Swearinger or maybe a Rambo, Philip Thomas or Tony Jefferson, then I'd prefer to wait until round 2 on the position.

Warford sounds like an interesting prospect.  So far, TT seems to prefer to convert mid-round OT picks into guards, but maybe he'll change that up this year.

I like Geathers, too, but round 3 may be a touch early for him.

I do think these are 3 players that could improve our team.

Here is part (the negative) of a profile on Elam:

Weaknesses Would rather drift laterally against the run rather than plant his outside foot, free outside arm, and force run upfield immediately. For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there. Tries to make the big hit far too often, lunges, leads with shoulder, or leaves his feet rather than just wrapping up.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/matt-elam?id=2540153

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
I really do want Warford in the 2nd round. Rodgers was sacked far too often this past season and Warford is bigger and more powerful than Lang. Warford can also pass block decently to go along with his punishing run blocking. It's also about time we got a true guard rather than a converted tackle.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
I really do want Warford in the 2nd round. Rodgers was sacked far too often this past season and Warford is bigger and more powerful than Lang. Warford can also pass block decently to go along with his punishing run blocking. It's also about time we got a true guard rather than a converted tackle.

Was Lang responsible for a lot of sacks? I know that Newhouse (LT) was in the double digits. Besides, couldn't Barclay take over for Lang if necessary? I understand your thinking, I just don't think that G is a real need in the first three to four rounds. LT is much more of a worry, IMO.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »

Another side to Elam:  note this was a report done prior to the 2012 season but Elam did have a fantastic season for the Gators this year.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013melam.php

Elam is the complete package as a safety. He covers a lot of ground in pass coverage since he has the ability to run with receivers and tight ends. Elam is a physical, tough safety who does well in run support, too. He excels in any aspect of safety play.

The scheme flexibility that the junior possesses will please NFL defensive back coaches. Elam has the size and physicality to play strong safety duties, but he is also fast and athletic enough to cover the deep part of the field as a free safety. Elam has fabulous coverage skills to play man-to-man with tight ends; more so than other early-round safety prospects.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw quite a few Gator games this season and thought Elam was a fantastic safety prospect.  I like Vaccaro because of his length but otherwise I think Elam is every bit the player.   He does need to work on wrapping up more vs trying to lay a big hit every time.  I definitely think he has the skillset to be a 1st rnd quality player and would be an immediate improvement at the SS position for us (a position I think really needs to be upgraded).  Year or two to develop and I think he's an impactful safety.