July 21, 2019, 10:38:51 PM

Author Topic: Not watching game.  (Read 9996 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Not watching game.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
By the way, you do realize that the Star-spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812.
It didn't become our national anthem until 1931.

Further, did you know that Francis Scott Key, a slave owner included  a third stanza in his poem. In it, he openly celebrates the murder of enslaved people.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Here is a quote from Key, as District Attorney of Washington referring to Blacks (using a far more colorful and distasteful word)
"a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community."

Maybe Donald could include that in his history lesson or at least be one that he learns before dispensing his.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:28:35 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Now you are spinning Ricky. Go back and read what I had underlined...it means the so called protests are being carried out in the wrong venue. Fans come to stadiums to watch football not to watch players disrespect our flag, national anthem and the men and women who have served and died so that we remain free.

The 'sign' was made way before Sunday's game.

OK, I did go back and re-read what you underlined. That is an opinion about the players kneeling during the National Anthem, and I am well aware of what you think about that issue.  However, that doesn't address the issue I raised earlier. So, I'll ask again. Do you believe VP Pence went to the game as a publicity stunt? He knew what was going to happen, then expressed outrage after walking out- which had been "suggested" by President Trump. And then Mr. Trump went to a fundraising event, and used Mr. Pence's leaving the game to help raise money for his campaign. This doesn't seem even slightly politically motivated?

As far as my take on the sign in Lambeau, of course I was "spinning". Never for a second did I think that was the reason for the sign being shown. Perhaps a  sarcasm should have been added. Though it did, indeed, reflect my feelings about VP Pence's political stunt.

And as long as we're discussing this, it seems the NFL may very well demand that players stand during the National ANthem.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/10/signs-point-to-nfl-potentially-telling-players-to-stand/

So, would that be the end of the issue in your opinion? Or should there be "consquences" for those who knelt, during the time when there was no demand by the NFL to stand. And, if there should be consequences, what would you suggest?

The first question was never answered, IMO. The second is new. I don't want to re-read you think the players are disrespectful; or that Obama was a coward, and that Trump is strong. I know all that. Was the Pence walkout a stunt? Should players face punishment for kneeling during the Anthem? If so, what form should that punishment take?

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
SSG...Your anti-view of President Trump is very clear and that's OK...the First Amendment is also clear...for ALL people.

So don't pull the lib/dimm typical response to shout down other opinions because YOU don't agree with them.

The reason President Trump called out the players, who obviously with the NFL's approval were holding their protests in stadiums on game days in uniform, was because nobody else would tell them to stop because they were disrespecting Country, flag, national anthem and men and women in service and veterans which you say you are (thanks for your service SSG).

One more time with this and hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from;

The players have the Constitutional right to protest whatever they wish to protest. They do not, however, have the Constitutional right to do so on the stage provided for them by the NFL. If the NFL allows them to protest on the field, that is a privilege afforded them by the NFL, not a right granted by the Constitution.

If the players owners et all really want to respect OUR flag and National Anthem before any sporting event they will stand with one hand over their heart facing the flag, NOT WITH LINKED ARMS or on a knee!!

Now the Packers and their players asked the fans to join them in linking arms during the anthem??? In other words by doing that you are with us and approving!!! Not only did the Packers’ weak attempt to get the entire stadium to interlock arms during the anthem, flop, the ratings for Thursday Night Football crashed again, as more Americans decided they’d rather not be told how their ruining the world by a bunch of hypocrites.

These players and coaches are supposed to be role models for our children! Unfortunately it kind of shows you where we are or headed! It's the dawning of a new day like it or not.

I have no problem with the NFL players wanting to demonstrate against something. The problem is they are taking advantage of their place of employment on football days in uniform and are disrespecting our flag, national anthem and most importantly all the men and women who gave their service and many many who gave their lives for our flag and Country.

Let me ask this from one vet to another...do you kneel in or out of uniform in uniformfor the national anthem because you disagree with President Trump?

Please refrain form labeling me.  You calling me a lib/dimm is like me calling you a neo nazi.  Just because I have some views on the left side of the isle and think Trump is and always has been a truly putrid human being (and just because you share some of the same views as Neo Nazi’s, i.e… a massive amount of support for Trump) doesn’t mean either one of us are those things.  Yes, I’m capable of calling Trump out on some of the garbage he spews.  I am not a party specific person that has views on both sides of the isle. 

NO WHERE did I "shout down your opinion" in my post.  I didn't disparage your opinion or your right to have one.  Take that fabricated stuff elsewhere.  I simply asked you a question, a question you avoided.  I don't care what your views are reality is there is NOTHING that can be said to change those opinions or views.   

The NFL IS NOT kneeling because they disagree with President Trump.  The fact that you believe that tells me that you have no idea why they are kneeling which makes one understand why you want those protests moved to the parking lot where its not going to get any attention.  The protest started under President Obama long before the reality TV star was elected to office.  It gained momentum after Trump attacked and trashed the players and their mothers to the nation because he's not willing to allow any view but his own.  Him trashing others for different views isn't something new as he does it almost on a daily basis on Twitter. 

To answer your question, NO.  I do not and will not sit or kneel during the National Anthem BUT I have no issues with others using their first amendment right to do so.  I'm not going to trash and belittle others because they have different views.  Reality is, hatred is going to be continued to be spewed at NFL players because they are Trump's newest punching bag regardless of what they do or don't do.  Most are standing now and even that isn't' good enough because some don't have their hand over their heart (something I've NEVER done in the hundreds of times I've stood for the NA in and out of uniform, I'm unsure how not having your hand over your heart now suddenly became a giant insult to flag, country, vets and the military).

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  NO WHERE in the NFL rule book does it say NFL players MUST stand for the NA.  That is a fabricated, misinformed meme that is going around, like 99% of them.  The players are using their first amendment right to protest an issue that is still a MAJOR issue in this country.  It's unfortunate that you are so strongly against the message of unity that the Packers are trying to promote. 

These players ARE role models, and some of them GREAT ones.  These players just got done raising millions for hurricane Harvey relief but because they have a different view than yours they are suddenly bad people?  Colin Kapernick has donated and raised Millions of dollars for some pretty great causes but because some don’t agree with his avenue of protesting he’s trash worthy of some of the most vile, racist hatred ever spewed at a pro athlete (more than guys who killed people, Raped, beaten their wife, slaughtered dogs, ect.).  Guys like Russell Wilson, Antonio Brown (naming 2 out of hundreds) have donated millions to things like children hospitals and other charities.  I want my kid to understand and support unity.  I do not want my kid living in a divided country where its ok to trash and belittle others because there are different views in this world/ country.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:50:05 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
You know I think the 'publicity stunt' is what the players have been doing since Kaepernick started this last year and why? Again the venue (stadiums on game days). Where were these player protests in the off season? No where to be found. Hypocrites to the max!!

VP Pence is fron Indiana remember and a Colt and Manning fan. His trip there was planned ahead, INMHO,  but also then conincided with the President's call out of the disrespecting of the flag, anthem and vets by the players, teams and the NFL.

So a Pence stunt? that's what the msm and thelibs/dimms want to believe and broadcast.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
You know I think the 'publicity stunt' is what the players have been doing since Kaepernick started this last year and why? Again the venue (stadiums on game days). Where were these player protests in the off season? No where to be found. Hypocrites to the max!!

And what do you feel the NFL players are gaining by this "publicity stunt"?   

Colin Kapernick was just honored (by the NFL union) for the work that he's been doing with charities around the country.  The idea that players aren't doing anything is fabricated dribble that just proves no matter what the players do they are going to be the target of hate being spewed in their direction. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/15/colin-kaepernick-honored-by-players-union-for-charity-work/105645590/

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:16:05 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
Why are you guys still arguing with the Repub-a-tron 4000? You are not going to make him think outside his narrow viewpoint for more than 2 seconds, and then you will be hit by a shower of memes that are nothing more than talking points changing the subject of the main issues.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
Lot's of good things posted on this thread. This includes the original poster's post despite the fact that I'm on the other side.

I find it stunning that the same people are complaining that the protesters don't appreciate their freedoms are advocating for those freedoms to be taken away.

I'm not as frightened by Trump as I am frightened by the 1/3 of the country that supports him. I think the US is at risk of a fascist coup. So no... I wouldn't agree that we are the most free country in the world either.  I think we're a border-line police state with 40 gun deaths every day, the greatest percentage of its citizens incarcerated, poor healthcare, income inequality equal to that of many third-world countries, unending war, failing infrastructure, oligarchy, and refugees fleeing north to Canada. This is what the protests are about... not about disrespecting those that serve.

thumbsup)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »
I would say 'prime time' at the fans expense.

Kudos to Colin.

You know we watched Colin, being we live in Reno, grow to be an exciting player under HC Chris Ault and the 'pistol offense' at the University of Nevada Reno (UNR). He was exciting to watch and led the Wolfpack to some really good seasons.  We thought he would do well in the NFL....in the right system. Then....

All this current stuff was started by Kaepernick after he had just converted to Islam and a new girl friend.

He has a muslim girlfriend (who coincidentally is one of the lead members of black lives matters). They hang out with Linda Sansour (one of the main figurehead speakers for the Muslim brotherhood).

So the entire movement started as a muslim action disguised as a racist protest when it isn't really about equality at all. It is to cause hate against our flag and country. Good jobs following a terrorist group that keeps blacks as slaves!!!

Real smart to honor those who oppress blacks and women and then call it equality.

So sad....

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
Why are you guys still arguing with the Repub-a-tron 4000? You are not going to make him think outside his narrow viewpoint for more than 2 seconds, and then you will be hit by a shower of memes that are nothing more than talking points changing the subject of the main issues.

You are embarrassing yourself...but not unexpected I guess.

Carry on....

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
I'm 54 yrs old soon to be 55. Have not missed a game since I was in the military. So disappointed in all of this about kneeling for the anthem. Rodgers is 1000 times smarter than me but he is wrong , the flag and the anthem is all about the military and the people who served and died  so that people can have freedom of speech and the freedom  of everyday life in the USA. So this week and and starting tonight I will boycott all nfl  games on television this weekend. This is really going to be hard, but this is my small stand. Go pack go

Here is the 'original post' as a reminder.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »

True. Probably best to just steer clear of this thread.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

True. Probably best to just steer clear of this thread.

How sad...the truth hurts I guess.

Carry on....

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:49 PM »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
I would say 'prime time' at the fans expense.

Kudos to Colin.

You know we watched Colin, being we live in Reno, grow to be an exciting player under HC Chris Ault and the 'pistol offense' at the University of Nevada Reno (UNR). He was exciting to watch and led the Wolfpack to some really good seasons.  We thought he would do well in the NFL....in the right system. Then....

All this current stuff was started by Kaepernick after he had just converted to Islam and a new girl friend.

He has a muslim girlfriend (who coincidentally is one of the lead members of black lives matters). They hang out with Linda Sansour (one of the main figurehead speakers for the Muslim brotherhood).

So the entire movement started as a muslim action disguised as a racist protest when it isn't really about equality at all. It is to cause hate against our flag and country. Good jobs following a terrorist group that keeps blacks as slaves!!!

Real smart to honor those who oppress blacks and women and then call it equality.

So sad....

Larry, you're better than this. You are quoting a story from ultra right wing WND, who printed this story with admitting that these were unconfirmed reports of conversion

Kaepernick parents deny the rumors and declare their son is a Christian. they point out that Colin was baptized Methodist, confirmed Lutheran and attended a Baptist church during his college years.
On multiple occasions Kaepernick has publicly denied any conversion to Islam, and reaffirms his faith as a Christian.

When speaking of his faith “I think God guides me through every day and helps me take the right steps and has helped me to get to where I’m at. When I step on the field, I always say a prayer, say I am thankful to be able to wake up that morning and go out there and try to glorify the Lord with what I do on the field.”

Kaepernick has a Bible scroll with Psalm 18:39 tattooed on his right arm. Underneath is written “To God be the Glory.”

Is it such a stretch to imagine that it is Kaepernick’s faith, rather than a lack thereof, that is inspiring him to kneel during the national anthem?
From what I have been able to find, Kaepernick first chose to sit for the anthem, then changed his mind to kneel to show greater respect for the American military, after a conversation with a veteran..

To kneel is to show respect. To make a statement. To humble oneself.

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
Glad to see Jerry Jones come to his senses.  Looks like the Dolphins owner is joining in too. Kneel for the anthem, you wont play.   Looks like this will be a topic at the owners meeting coming up.  NFL is looking at making players stand for the anthem
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:50:29 PM by The GM »