October 15, 2019, 05:39:26 PM

Author Topic: Free Agent WR possible this year?  (Read 9933 times)

Offline ebterp

• Starter
Free Agent WR possible this year?
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
I could see this as a possibility this year if both Finley & Jennings leave. It would provide a stopgap if we draft someone at these two positions. I know TT won't go big time but the right mid level guy might fit in...

EB

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agent WR possible this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
I could see this as a possibility this year if both Finley & Jennings leave. It would provide a stopgap if we draft someone at these two positions. I know TT won't go big time but the right mid level guy might fit in...

EB

I think he will roll the dice with Boykin and Ross
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

EB

I think he will roll the dice with Boykin and Ross

I agree with this.  Nelson, Jones and Cobb all on the roster next season, with two young, promising guys behind them.  I think Thompson will trust in those guys and maybe draft another WR for the future.

With that said, Thompson is always willing to sign a free agent -- the price just has to be right.  And Thompson is a bargain shopper, so we don't buy often.

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
I think Ted wll pick up a WR somewhere in the 3rd-5th rounds. Also sign a couple UDFA. Let the best man win in TC for 2 open spots IMO.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
One guy I may take a flyer on is Ted Ginn Jr,  He has been a bust so far as a WR but his deal is getting deep and he never had the QB or real scheme to do it in.  Plus its a major upgrade to the return game

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
One guy I may take a flyer on is Ted Ginn Jr,  He has been a bust so far as a WR but his deal is getting deep and he never had the QB or real scheme to do it in.  Plus its a major upgrade to the return game
...and I think it was rumored that TT liked him coming out of college.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
I'd say no way myself. This is one area Thompson excels in the draft at is WR. The only free agent WR we might have a shot at and then again most don't we can, is Jennings. It will be him or no one as a free agent...

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Finley's not leaving IMO. I can see him drafting another WR, but I think the middle is more of a need.
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
The staff has been high on both Boykin and Ross as has been pointed out elsewhere...also I have already read that Ross will be the primary returner next year...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »
The staff has been high on both Boykin and Ross as has been pointed out elsewhere...also I have already read that Ross will be the primary returner next year...

The staff was also high on Gurley

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
I don't remember anyone ever saying that Gurley was favored as a starter at a particular position though...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »
I don't remember anyone ever saying that Gurley was favored as a starter at a particular position though...

Neither has Ross or Boykin.  Your comment was they are "high" on both of them

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
You are right - I did say that.  In the second part of the post I said that I read that Ross is expected to be the primary returner next year which means that he is favored for a position. 

And yes, of course, this is all as it stands now...

I wish that I wasn't discussing next season right now as well; however, our season is over.

66_Ray

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
I'd say no way myself. This is one area Thompson excels in the draft at is WR. The only free agent WR we might have a shot at and then again most don't we can, is Jennings. It will be him or no one as a free agent...
Agreed Jennings gets a tag. We do not need many parts for a SB run. maybe in the third round or fourth we go WR

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
Agreed Jennings gets a tag. We do not need many parts for a SB run. maybe in the third round or fourth we go WR

The problem I'd have tagging GJ is when Jennings and Cobb were on the field at the same time, Cobb tended to disappear as a WR. Besides, franchising Jennings would very probably upset him, and could lead to some off season dramatics. I really don't think TT or the Packers organization wants a mini-Favre fiasco to roil the waters.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid