March 20, 2019, 01:56:25 AM

Author Topic: Free Agent WR possible this year?  (Read 9082 times)

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agent WR possible this year?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:55 AM »
I have a question.  I see people mentioning tagging Jennings, but have we ever used the tag?  If I remember correctly, I don't think we have.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
I have a question.  I see people mentioning tagging Jennings, but have we ever used the tag?  If I remember correctly, I don't think we have.

We have.  We tagged and traded Corey Williams.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
I do not like the idea of tagging Jennings unless we know we have a trade partner.  Too much cash for someone that has been so injured the last 2 seasons.  At the beginning of this year he looked as if he was always looking for a place to get down rather than break a tackle.

And I am concerned that tagging Jennings devotes too much money to the WR position.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:42 AM »

We have.  We tagged and traded Corey Williams.

Thanks.  I could not for the life of me remember ever using it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 05:11:18 AM »
One guy I may take a flyer on is Ted Ginn Jr,  He has been a bust so far as a WR but his deal is getting deep and he never had the QB or real scheme to do it in.  Plus its a major upgrade to the return game
...and I think it was rumored that TT liked him coming out of college.

This I like. With someone to blow the top off GB would be deadly. Just send him on a 9 route every play and see if they don't begin to drop farther back because they know Rodgers can connect 60 yards down field.

That would be a very smart signing for TT IF they can get him at a decent price.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
The staff has been high on both Boykin and Ross as has been pointed out elsewhere...also I have already read that Ross will be the primary returner next year...

The staff was also high on Gurley

But both Boykin and Ross actually played. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
I'd say no way myself. This is one area Thompson excels in the draft at is WR. The only free agent WR we might have a shot at and then again most don't we can, is Jennings. It will be him or no one as a free agent...
Agreed Jennings gets a tag. We do not need many parts for a SB run. maybe in the third round or fourth we go WR

The problem I'd have tagging GJ is when Jennings and Cobb were on the field at the same time, Cobb tended to disappear as a WR. Besides, franchising Jennings would very probably upset him, and could lead to some off season dramatics. I really don't think TT or the Packers organization wants a mini-Favre fiasco to roil the waters.

Could it be because Jennings is so much better at getting open compared to Cobb?  We forget Jennings before he injured his midsection was considered a top 10 WR in the league.  I for one hope we keep him around.  I don't see Jennings becoming a problem like Favre was if we tag him.  What is the tag $ more a WR?  Anybody know? 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
One guy I may take a flyer on is Ted Ginn Jr,  He has been a bust so far as a WR but his deal is getting deep and he never had the QB or real scheme to do it in.  Plus its a major upgrade to the return game
...and I think it was rumored that TT liked him coming out of college.

This I like. With someone to blow the top off GB would be deadly. Just send him on a 9 route every play and see if they don't begin to drop farther back because they know Rodgers can connect 60 yards down field.

That would be a very smart signing for TT IF they can get him at a decent price.

Why would we want someone's castoff when we have Cobb and Ross to return kicks/punts?

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
I'd say no way myself. This is one area Thompson excels in the draft at is WR. The only free agent WR we might have a shot at and then again most don't we can, is Jennings. It will be him or no one as a free agent...
Agreed Jennings gets a tag. We do not need many parts for a SB run. maybe in the third round or fourth we go WR

The problem I'd have tagging GJ is when Jennings and Cobb were on the field at the same time, Cobb tended to disappear as a WR. Besides, franchising Jennings would very probably upset him, and could lead to some off season dramatics. I really don't think TT or the Packers organization wants a mini-Favre fiasco to roil the waters.

What is the tag $ more a WR?  Anybody know?

$10.35M
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
As for the tag, we've tagged Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett as well as Aaron Kampman ( I believe) during TT's tenure.

A Jennings tag makes a whole lot of sense.

1. This way GB can control where he goes via free agency, it would stand to reason that ALL 3 division competitiors would be in the market for his services if he hits the open market. This would likely assure that he goes to an AFC team, maybe Miami.

2. We would get no lower than a 2nd for Jennings. Javon Walker netted us a 2nd and was no where as proven as Jennings. We could in turn use that pick on getting another offensive weapon to replace him.

3. If he stays, it's on a 1 year deal with a salary that is likely what he would get on the open market anyway. This way its off the books in 2014 when A-Rod and Clay need to be extended. The injuries are a deterent, but look at how he played prior to the injury in 2011 and after he got back in the swing in 2012. The guy is our best WR when healthy. It wouldn't kill us to have him for another year.

I'm ALL FOR a franchise tag used on Jennings.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »

1. This way GB can control where he goes via free agency, it would stand to reason that ALL 3 division competitiors would be in the market for his services if he hits the open market. This would likely assure that he goes to an AFC team, maybe Miami.

2. We would get no lower than a 2nd for Jennings. Javon Walker netted us a 2nd and was no where as proven as Jennings. We could in turn use that pick on getting another offensive weapon to replace him.

Point #1 is not that simple.  Any team trading for him would have agree with him on a long term deal, no guarantee he would accept

Point #2 not so sure.  The Walker trade was made in the day of the non rookie cap and picks were not as valuable.  Also Walker was 28 when he was traded, 2 years males a big difference. 
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »

Point #1 is not that simple.  Any team trading for him would have agree with him on a long term deal, no guarantee he would accept

Point #2 not so sure.  The Walker trade was made in the day of the non rookie cap and picks were not as valuable.  Also Walker was 28 when he was traded, 2 years males a big difference.
[/quote]

I know it's not simple, but if GB franchises him they do have some leverage then. Jennings options would be to accept a team that GB approves of or return to play on a 1 year deal.

I'm not so sure that cap makes a HUGE difference for 2nd rounders. Plus WRs play into their late 30s routinely. 30 is WR is far from over for WR. Jennings literally could have 6-7 very good years left.  I don't think age is a major hitch in the deal.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:28:25 AM by JPPlaya »

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
I love Randall Cobb, but I'm a realist.  If you saw Jennings late in the year, you saw glimpses of him at 100%.  No one of the roster is as fast and as quick as Jennings, not even Cobb.

Jennings plays outside and inside.  No one is better in and out of breaks.  He commands respect deep and shallow.

Imagine the offense next year build around Cobb in the middle of the field, Jennings working opposite him and Nelson going deep.  We would be the envy of the league.

And that being said, he has more value to us than anyone else, except maybe the Patriots.  He would be wasted in Miami while they develop their QB and they have shown one thing over the past year and a half.  That being they are a draft and develop team.  They passed on Flynn, they traded away a true #1 WR, and they traded a good corner for picks.  They want a young WR that can grow with Tannehill.  Not an older vet who will cost a ton of money and be washed up by the time the QB becomes a good one.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:39:55 AM »
1. . . The Packers have used the Franchise Tag on Bubba Franks, Ryan Pickett and Corey Williams. Greg Jennings is better than all of them.

2. . . A true #1 WR in the NFL is easily worth the $10.35 million price tag for one year. IMO, Jennings is better than Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe and Vincent Jackson - all who've been Given the Franchise tag recently.

3. . . The Packers are better offensively with Jennings than without him. If they choose to franchise him, it's because he makes the offense more dangerous.

4. . . If they get an offer that they like, they can always trade him. I see this as a distant third option behind him playing one year under the tag or negotiating a longer contract, but it's still possible that the Packers field offers and make a move to get younger. This ensures that they get good compensation for a quality asset.

5. . . If Greg doesn't like the Tag, that's just too bad. He's mentioned multiple times that it is a business and the Franchise Tag gives leverage to the team. It sucks, but they have to do what is best for the Packers.

With Greg Jennings hitting free agency this offseason and still playing at a high level when he's been healthy, it's my opinion that the team should absolutely use the Franchise Tag on him. He makes the offense better when he's in the lineup and I think he improves tgeir chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl. I'd be cautious about investing in a long-term contract, but I wouldn't just let him walk. If they want to save cash and can get an offer that makes it easy to part with him, then fine. . . go ahead and trade him for value. Otherwise keep him for one more year and see how far they can get with a full compliment of offensive weapons. Keeping him also makes it so there's one less hole to have to fill this offseason.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:05 AM »
1. . . The Packers have used the Franchise Tag on Bubba Franks, Ryan Pickett and Corey Williams. Greg Jennings is better than all of them.

Slight correction, Bubba Franks received a transition tag, not a franchise tag.

TT did use the franchise tag on Corey Williams in 2008 and parlayed it into draft picks in a trade with Cleveland - the rules around using and trading have changed. It is not impossible, but it is more difficult than in '08.

TT used the franchise tag again on Ryan Pickett - short time use while they finished negotiating a longer 3 year contract that is now expiring.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi