September 23, 2018, 03:48:52 PM

Author Topic: Fire the Training Staff  (Read 2347 times)

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Fire the Training Staff
« on: October 15, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »
Year after year.  More of the same.  Injuries derailing the Packers season.  McCarthy say injuries are part of the game.  Well yes that's true but being one of the most injured teams in the league year after year after year isn't going to cut it.  Agree some injuries can't be prevented but some can.  How many guys have we lost due to groin pulls and hammies?  That accounts for over half of them. 

This isn't new it's been going on since 2010.  How the Packers can't figure this one out is beyond me.  The players are not being properly conditioned.   Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is going on.  It's not a problem of coaching it's injuries.  Every single year.  The fire Dom crowd also has to realize he is fielding a defense of JV players because are starters are either on the bench or trying to gut it out.

I have defended McCarthy on numerous occasions.  His weakness is not recognizing problems within the organization and making necessary changes in a timely manner.  This injury situation is not new.  Anyone care to defend the training staff?  I am all ears. 

It's time for a change.  If they have to cough up a few bucks to lure some decent trainers so be it.  #1 on the list next year is to replace the entire training staff.  It finally came to a head today.  Now because the training staff can't get the players properly prepared we are down to 6th and 7th options along the O-line.  Predictably Rodgers gets killed. 

If McCarthy is unwilling to revamp the training staff then it qualifies as gross negligence and he should be sent packing too.  Enough already. 

Offline AZPackfan

• Starter
Re: Fire the Training Staff
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
I've been wondering about this myself, if the conditioning program is not up to par. We can't see one game it seems without someone having to come out due to an injury.

If this is the case then do whatever it takes.
"Wherever you go, you represent the team. You will talk like, you will look like and you will act like the most dignified professional in your hometown" - Vince Lombardi to his players.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
We aren't the only team ravaged by injuries.  I suspect a lot of this is due to the fact players don't have enough padded practices during the summer and between games.  But yes, the number we get every year is ridiculous.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Wouldn’t surprise me if 50 years from now, the game of football as we know it today will cease to exist, or evolves into something much different from what we’re watching now.  With the rise of the CTE issue, among other things, I expect there will come a time when this game will either get watered down severely, or, the equipment will evolve so immensely that players are basically running around in bubbles.  It may not happen in my lifetime - in fact I’m not expecting it to - but I’d be surprised if my great, great granchildren were still watching the NFL.  What will most likely happen is some Harry Potter-esque game will be invented that will sweep the world.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline bartysmithwasgod

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I thought I heard a story this past week where someone went back and looked at how many injuries the Packers have had in previous years.  Apparently it is no more than anyone else but like all teams goes in cycles.  If you can find a training staff that can prevent broken bones and non-contact injuries they would be millionaires.  There are probably 15 other teams forums that are looking to get rid of their teams training staff.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »
OK, fire the training staff because they don't know what they're doing. No other team has as many injuries as the Packers. So, choose a team, any team, and I'll take the time to look at their injury woes. Seriously. Because we focus on the Packers, unless the guy lost is a "name" like Watt, or Julio Jones or Beckham, Jr., we rarely pay attention. And its not as if this is something that has suddenly become a problem.

ESPN from 2013: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10039338/is-nfl-experiencing-injury-epidemic

NFL.com from 2011: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81df8b27/printable/nflpa-says-injuries-increased-in-2010-over-previous-years

And what is to blame for the increase?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724489/article/mike-mccarthy-says-2011-cba-is-cause-of-increase-in-injuries

So, this is something that has been happening on a league wide basis for years. So, fire all the training staffs of every team? Because sometimes things just happen.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
Agree that injuries are a league wide problem and has been for awhile. Yet they want to increase the regular season to 18 games. Ya, that will solve that problem.  ::) 

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
Injuries are part of the game. Some years you are cursed. Look at the last 4 NFC winners;

Seattle- healthy legion of boom (super bowl win)
Seattle- banged up legion. (Super bowl L)
Carolina (healthy this year, sub 500 before and after year after)
Atl- (sub 500 the year before, healthy and made super bowl, now injured and average)

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
 Bone and ligament injuries are almost unstoppable, but all the soft tissue injuries? I don't know the answers, but how long does it take to heal?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
Bone and ligament injuries are almost unstoppable, but all the soft tissue injuries? I don't know the answers, but how long does it take to heal?

Googled and got an answer in seconds.

The length of time it takes to recover from a hamstring strain or tear will depend on how severe the injury is. A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3)

Now, before someone mentions doing more stretching, like yoga, I've been doing yoga for about three years now, two hours a day,  five days a week. And NFL players, even during warmups, are doing some yoga stretches. So, that is being addressed. Again, stuff happens. About a year and a half ago, I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Not severe, but certainly annoying. It happened in my yoga class during the second session, doing an asana I'd done dozens of times before. Did I blame anyone? Nope. Because- repeat as needed- stuff happens. In 2014 the Packers were virtually injury free, and then lost that crushing defeat in Seattle. Because- well, you know.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »

The length of time it takes to recover from a hamstring strain or tear will depend on how severe the injury is. A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3)

Now, before someone mentions doing more stretching, like yoga, I've been doing yoga for about three years now, two hours a day,  five days a week. And NFL players, even during warmups, are doing some yoga stretches. So, that is being addressed. Again, stuff happens. About a year and a half ago, I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Not severe, but certainly annoying. It happened in my yoga class during the second session, doing an asana I'd done dozens of times before. Did I blame anyone? Nope. Because- repeat as needed- stuff happens. In 2014 the Packers were virtually injury free, and then lost that crushing defeat in Seattle. Because- well, you know.

If that’s the case then maybe football’s shelf-life is about to expire unless some serious changes are made - changes that could ultimately make the game a lot less interesting to watch/play?
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
Lots of people looking for excuses and it's usually 'Fire Somebody'.

Luckily cooler heads prevail with the people that do this for a living!!!
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »

Stuff happens?  :)

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
I don't know if you can still access the Podcast from September 20th, but  Packernet had an excellent discussion with PT Charlie DeCleene, on soft tissue injuries, focusing on the Packer injuries at that time including Bakhtiari.  One important take away is that professional athletes are always testing the limits of the human body and are therefore more likely to have soft tissue injuries.  An excellent listen if you can access.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »
Training staff is inept.  Also need to hire a dietician along with a new strength coach.  They have some neanderthal thinking in this area.