November 21, 2018, 11:44:09 AM

Author Topic: Fire the Training Staff  (Read 2492 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
Re: Fire the Training Staff
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
They have done all of that, multiple times.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
They are over conditioned from a weight room standpoint, but no longer can handle the real games. They don't practice for games, and because of this, they are dropping like flies (across the league).  Well, it's my thought at least.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
Maybe players are doing this to themselves thru the Players Union in negotiations  with owners by making practices easier...less contact especially for OL.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
Bigger, faster stronger but you can't make the joints and ligaments stronger. They don't take that kind of stress before they give out. Also, when your muscles get that big how to you keep the proper elasticity? Seems that may be the cause of deep tissue injuries.

The game is going to become extinct because of the speed and strength of the players. I'm actually shocked no one has been killed on the field in the NFL.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
Training staff is inept.  Also need to hire a dietician along with a new strength coach.  They have some neanderthal thinking in this area.

Could you share some specific knowledge you possess that the training staff "have some neanderthal thinking in this area"? Other than injuries are happening, which is happening league wide. These guys are bigger, faster and stronger than ever. As Starr2Max pointed out, these guys are testing the limits of what the human body can endure on a daily basis, and especially in game situations. Again, in 2014, the Packers were very healthy. Last year and this year, not. So, the training staff was great in 2014, and now they're neanderthals? If you have the formula for preventing the majority of soft tissue injuries, please enlighten us. And the league. Because everyone would like to eliiminate these injuries. And no on has succeeded.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
Lots of people looking for excuses and it's usually 'Fire Somebody'.

Luckily cooler heads prevail with the people that do this for a living!!!

Not buying all teams have injuries.  Really are half there starters out?  Don't take this lightly.  This is a pattern that has been going on for years.  Not just a one off bad season.  Whatever they are doing isn't working and hasn't for a number of years.  This is not a fluke it's a well established pattern of injuries.  Sure every team deals with injuries to some extent.  Lose a star player or whatever.  Well half of our starters are now out. 

You are right LMG I have lost my cool.  Why?  Because I am sick and tired of playing with one arm behind our back year after year after year.  Yes 2014 was the one year we actually had a normal season.  1 year out of the last 8 isn't cutting it for me.  Changes need to be made.  Groins and hamstrings can and should be prevented.  I think the training staff is inept.  Look at the track history of these guys and tell me I am wrong.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 02:50:58 AM »
Training staff is inept.  Also need to hire a dietician along with a new strength coach.  They have some neanderthal thinking in this area.

You may find it worth remembering that the fitter an athlete gets, the closer he is to breaking down. Footballers NEED to be big, muscular, agile and fast because the people they are playing are. No top athlete can stay at his peak indefinitely, the closer he gets to it the more he is on a knife edge between fitness and injury - that's why athletes train to peak at key times, like for a big race event.

One of the problems today's footballers suffer from, is that because over time everyone is getting bigger stronger faster, they have to be. The strain on the body is more than in the past when guys were smaller, collisions happen faster now, and with more weight behind them. Wrestling matches with opponents are against more powerful guys, so the torque stresses are higher. Bigger muscles mean more strain on things like hamstrings. All of these things make health trickier to maintain and they make for more injury.

Now the almost perfect storm of injuries that the Packers suffered this year (especially to all their best players) still seems right at the far end of a probability curve, but it seems normal that the best teams in December and January are the ones that have avoided key injuries the best. If you have a decent team and a relatively healthy one at the end of the year, you have a really good shot at the SB, because so many other teams will be beat up by then.

If the answer to injuries was as simple as the training staff being at fault here, don't you think the Packers would already have addressed it ? They have well paid analysts that look at everything football related and both they and the coaches have looked closely at training before. The most likely answer is what McCarthy said, the CBA limitations placed on training work against keeping guys in the best condition - not peak condition - because that is the edge of breakdown, but best maintainable condition. Even with all the focus teams put on keeping their players healthy, it is still mostly a lottery in which teams are healthiest. The Packers were beat up when they last won the SB, but it was mostly the guys at the lower end of the roster that were injured at the end of that year.

Finally, to scoremore, your words "Not buying all teams have injuries".  It's not the things you don't know that kill you, it's the things you know to be true, that are wrong, that get you  every time. I understand frustration and the desire to blame - someone - but the target of frustration is not always guilty as charged.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:57:21 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »
I feel that if the CBA it's going to restrict padded and contact practices then teams should start the season with their number twos and gradually replace them with starters as everyone begins to drop out. sarcasm

Obviously I'm joking and no team will do that, but the NFL should address the injury issue next CBA for sure. More padded and contact drills to better acclimate their bodies. I don't understand how the players union can think going from no contact except for games, where everyone is flying around like a heat seeking missile, is somehow good for the players.

Offline ricky38

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 07:15:22 AM »
I think it time the players take some responsibility for player safety. there are a lot of unnecessary hits in games. Barr's hit on Rodgers may have been legal but he had plenty of time to pull up. It looked to me like Barr took 2 full steps after the ball was gone before he hit Rodgers.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »
It's not a question of how players are getting stronger, faster, etc. but the issue is why Green Bay gets a greater share of their players hurt verses the rest of the league.
I wonder if players like Bulaga, Burnett, House, and Monty that get hurt frequently if there's something they aren't capturing when they were drafted.  So whatever the reason....the Packers will once again play a ton of guys that wouldn't normally find the field and may find some have some real potential.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »

You may find it worth remembering that the fitter an athlete gets, the closer he is to breaking down. Footballers NEED to be big, muscular, agile and fast because the people they are playing are. No top athlete can stay at his peak indefinitely, the closer he gets to it the more he is on a knife edge between fitness and injury - that's why athletes train to peak at key times, like for a big race event.

One of the problems today's footballers suffer from, is that because over time everyone is getting bigger stronger faster, they have to be. The strain on the body is more than in the past when guys were smaller, collisions happen faster now, and with more weight behind them. Wrestling matches with opponents are against more powerful guys, so the torque stresses are higher. Bigger muscles mean more strain on things like hamstrings. All of these things make health trickier to maintain and they make for more injury.

Now the almost perfect storm of injuries that the Packers suffered this year (especially to all their best players) still seems right at the far end of a probability curve, but it seems normal that the best teams in December and January are the ones that have avoided key injuries the best. If you have a decent team and a relatively healthy one at the end of the year, you have a really good shot at the SB, because so many other teams will be beat up by then.

If the answer to injuries was as simple as the training staff being at fault here, don't you think the Packers would already have addressed it ? They have well paid analysts that look at everything football related and both they and the coaches have looked closely at training before. The most likely answer is what McCarthy said, the CBA limitations placed on training work against keeping guys in the best condition - not peak condition - because that is the edge of breakdown, but best maintainable condition. Even with all the focus teams put on keeping their players healthy, it is still mostly a lottery in which teams are healthiest. The Packers were beat up when they last won the SB, but it was mostly the guys at the lower end of the roster that were injured at the end of that year.

Finally, to scoremore, your words "Not buying all teams have injuries".  It's not the things you don't know that kill you, it's the things you know to be true, that are wrong, that get you  every time. I understand frustration and the desire to blame - someone - but the target of frustration is not always guilty as charged.

What they are doing isn't working.  Every year we are among the most injured teams in the league.  Yes I am extremely frustrated as every season this team gets derailed by injuries.  We are what 7 games in and I can't even keep track of all the guys that are hurt.  It's beyond ridiculous.  Every play I am holding my breath who's going to go down next.  If it was just one season I would attribute it to bad luck.  It's not.  It's a pattern that has repeated itself the better part of a fricken decade. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
What they are doing isn't working.  Every year we are among the most injured teams in the league.

Some facts to support this please ?

Yes I am extremely frustrated as every season this team gets derailed by injuries.  We are what 7 games in and I can't even keep track of all the guys that are hurt.

I agree this year is just crazy, but every year ?

In my opinion the number of injuries is not the key, anyway........HOW MANY injuries is far less important than WHO is injured and how evenly the injuries fall across the various position groups. Green Bay were unlucky with the DB group last year and the OL group this year - no telling where injuries will fall. Packers won the Superbowl in 2011 - they had plenty of guys injured that year, but not so many of the important ones, nor did injury decimate one position group (that's how my admittedly imperfect memory remembers it, anyway).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:45:41 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
Should the Lions fire their training staff? For your consideration, from Sunday's loss to NO:

One thing the Lions can do besides festering is heal up. Guard T.J. Lang, wide receiver Kenny Golladay and linebacker Paul Worrilow missed the Saints game with injuries and wide receiver Golden Tate and safety Glover Quin were both injured during the loss.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
I think it time the players take some responsibility for player safety. there are a lot of unnecessary hits in games. Barr's hit on Rodgers may have been legal but he had plenty of time to pull up. It looked to me like Barr took 2 full steps after the ball was gone before he hit Rodgers.

I completely agree!  There’s an unwritten - but widely known and religiously followed - code in hockey.  You take a cheap shot at one of our guys, regardless if was called for a penalty or not, you’re going to have to answer for it.  Now, some players will still take a cheap shot, well aware of the consequences, but I think at some level there’s much more respect for each other in this quasi self-regulating system.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
For further consideration, an analysis  ESPN on teams which have been most impacted by injuries. Any doubt who's #1?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/253109/the-nfl-teams-most-impacted-by-injuries