October 15, 2018, 05:19:08 PM

Author Topic: Packer News & Notes  (Read 8031 times)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
Re: Packer News & Notes
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
To fill the void, here’s a couple interesting tidbits from Bleacher Report, about each team adding one good player:

Green Bay Packers

Iowa CB Josh Jackson

If you've followed the Green Bay Packers at all during the Ted Thompson era, then you know that the odds of Thompson adding a big-name free agent from outside the organization are exceedingly slim.

That's not how Thompson does things.

If 2018 is at all like past seasons, the Packers will devote some of their $41.8 million in cap space to retaining their own free agents. Then Thompson will look to improve from the outside at the NFL draft.

Last year, one of the primary focuses for Thompson was improving Green Bay's leaky secondary. And with a ranking outside the top 20 in pass defense again this season, that same secondary could again be in Thompson's sights.

Enter Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson, who won the Jack Tatum Award as the nation's top defensive back in 2017.

Jackson has everything NFL teams look for in cornerbacks. At 6'1", he has both size and long arms. His straight-line speed isn't in question. And Jackson was wildly productive for the Hawkeyes, intercepting eight passes in 2017.

In his most recent big board, Matt Miller has Jackson ranked as the No. 1 cornerback in this year's class.

The Packers would be fortunate to land such a prospect in the middle of Round 1.

AND A PROSPECTIVE FREE AGENT LOSS to Houston:

Packers S Morgan Burnett

If the Houston Texans are going to make any major improvements in 2017, those improvements will have to come via free agency—the Texans' first two draft picks are now the property of the Cleveland Browns as part of the trades that brought Deshaun Watson to Texas and sent Brock Osweiler packing.

However, the Texans are sitting on $53.8 million in cap space—plenty to take a run at some help along the offensive line or in the secondary.

This isn't a great season in the former regard—the cupboard isn't totally bare, but it's hardly a bumper crop. But there's at least one veteran on the back end who should hit the open market.

The Green Bay Packers have long been a team that likes to keep their own free agents over acquiring outsiders. But Ted Thompson has limited resources, wideout Davante Adams will take up a big chunk of them, and the Packers have an in-house replacement for Morgan Burnett waiting in the wings in youngster Josh Jones.

This isn’t to say that Burnett can't play—he's a proven veteran with plenty left in the tank who has shown to be a movable chess piece for the Packers in 2017.

That sort of versatility would come in handy in Houston next year.

If you’re interested, here’s the link to the entire article:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751166-the-best-player-every-nfl-team-could-add-in-2018

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 07:31:20 AM »

Tom Silverstein -
Packers were just below $10 million under the cap this season and could have carried it over to next season. Chances are they used as much as possible this year  on the Adams deal. They were scheduled to be $32 million under the cap in 2018 without that carryover.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
Ian Rapoport -

Next contract extension up for the Packers: QB Aaron Rodgers. Their big priority for this offseason.

<Wouldnt be suprised if thats done soon as well so that 2017 can figure into the yearly breakout down the line>

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
Ian Rapoport -

Next contract extension up for the Packers: QB Aaron Rodgers. Their big priority for this offseason.

<Wouldnt be suprised if thats done soon as well so that 2017 can figure into the yearly breakout down the line>

This is often brought up, but a Rodgers deal will not happen until after June 1 of 2018. Rodgers, his agent and everyone in the Packers front office knew that the day he signed his last contract. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
Kruse  - 
Disappointing season for Packers OLB Nick Perry ends on IR. He had 7 sacks in 12 games. Also had 4 different injuries and was on the injury report for most of the year. Of his 7 sacks, 3 came in Chicago. Shutout in 7 of 12 games.

Offline IBleedGreenGold

• HOF Member
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
I heard in a chat room tonight watching the Badgers that McCarthy might announce his resignation after the game tomorrow. I can't believe it but thought I would pass it on. Has anyone else heard anything?

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
I heard in a chat room tonight watching the Badgers that McCarthy might announce his resignation after the game tomorrow. I can't believe it but thought I would pass it on. Has anyone else heard anything?

The only news I heard was about Capers.  McCarthy has one more year on his contract so perhaps he'll stay thru that and retire when Ted does?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

Ryan Wood -

Safety Morgan Burnett said he has not had any contract talks with #Packers. Sounds like he'll hit the open market. Will be interesting to see his value. Considering it's a sub league, it certainly helps that he has versatility to play ILB and safety.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
Justin McCray -

New Year’s Eve 2016 I went to work as a bellman for Westgate Resorts. This New Year’s Eve I went to work as a starter for the Packers. My God is amazing. Just want to thank everyone who’s shown any kind of support over the years. It helped keep me going

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
Cobb was asked about possibly restructuring his contract for next year. "“I haven’t heard anything from my agents, so no.”

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
Cohen - Packers played six games against teams who made the playoffs this season. They lost all of them: Pittsburgh, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Minnesota x2

Kruse - Opposing QBs against Packers defense in 2017: 348 of 513 (67.8 percent) for 3,789 yards (7.9 yards/attempt), 30 TDs and 11 INTs. Passer rating of 102.0.

Nagler - If the Raiders get to bring back Gruden, the Lions should bring back Wayne Fontes. It's only right.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
Here’s a few random AND Juicy tidbits I found posted on Acme Packing:

(1/2, 8:00 AM CT) Brian Gutekunst is reportedly going to be under consideration for the Texans’ vacant GM job as well, reports Ian Rapoport. Former Texans GM Rick Smith is taking a leave of absence due to his wife’s cancer diagnosis.

(1/2, 9:15 AM CT) According to former beat writer Bob McGinn, the Packers’ board of directors instructed team president Mark Murphy to remove Ted Thompson as GM.

(1/2, 9:45 AM CT) Bob McGinn reports that some people inside the Packers organization are hoping that Associate Head Coach/Linebackers coach Winston Moss will leave the team voluntarily for another job. McGinn also reports that the Lions have requested permission to interview Moss for their open head coaching job.

(1/2, 12:30 PM CT) Mike McCarthy received a one-year contract extension during the 2017 season, which means that he is now signed through 2019. The news broke on Tuesday afternoon, but the deal was apparently actually finalized several weeks ago.

(1/2, 12:45 PM CT) The Packers are reportedly considering changes on the offensive coaching staff, reports ESPN’s Rob Demovsky. The team needs to replace wide receivers coach Luke Getsy, but the changes could include moving offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett into another role.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/03/packers-save-cap-room-davante-adams-corey-linsley-deals/999641001/

Effectively two year deals. The cap hit will be smaller than the release number for both after 2019. Linsley could be kept at his 2020 price, but Adams it would seem would need to be extended at that point.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
Rob Demovsky‏ -

Packers promoted Ed Policy to chief operating officer and general counsel. Many view the son of former 49ers president Carmen Policy as the likely successor to Packers president Mark Murphy.