May 19, 2019, 07:45:06 PM

Author Topic: Drafting late in every round  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Fingal

• Starter
Drafting late in every round
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »
There has been some discussion about the difficulties of draftin late in every round and that it makes it hard to stay on top every year.
And though I completely agree with that there is one thing you cant get around: New England Patriots

What I think they have done better than everybody else is adapting and adjusting.
They are very good at doing it during games but I also think they are good at doing it schematicly.

I get a feeling that they keep drafting BAP every year and then adjust there schemes to fit that players strenghts. Most notably going with 2 TE's after they got 2 good ones in the draft.

I've always felt that the right way to go as a coach is to adjust your schemes to the players you got instead of trying to fit your players into your scheme.
i think this theory is true in highschool as well as in the pros.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Drafting late in every round
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Yea they do a very good job as a coaching staff. Over the last few years I have been rather unimpressed by their drafts. A few exceptions, but I think they are better than anyone at finding guys who fit their system and making them successful. As well as what you pointed out; their ability to adapt to their own personnel.

They also have Tom Brady at QB and whenever you have "The Man" you always have a good chance at the playoffs.

57packer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:02 AM »
A top QB and O-line can make up for many deficiencies in the NFL.  At the same time, they do a nice job of adjusting on offense to use what they have. 

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
They do so much maneuvering in the draft that it isn't fair to say that they always draft late.  BB loves to move around the draft.

And label me as unimpressed with their high pick draft record.  They win like we win, because their QB is just that good.  Okay, maybe their coach is that good too.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
count me in also on the thought that NE has not drafted great as of late.  While they have picked up a few studs a lot of their draftees are lucky to be on nfl rosters

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
NE hasn't won a SB since 2005.  They've had problems in playoffs since then.  We also have 'the man' at QB who is good deal younger than Brady.  I'll take our situation over theirs.

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
The Patriots have taken to filling the holes in their roster with every thug and primadonna who's worn out his welcome on other teams.  Sometimes it works out very well, like Randy Moss and Aqib Talib.  Other times not so well, like Haynesworth and Ocho Stinko.  But they always get them cheap because no one else wants them.  They seem to be able to get them to tow the line somehow. 

Obviously that's the Packers style at all. 

The other thing working in the Patriots favor is that they play in a really stinky division and in the far weaker conference.  The Jets had a little run for a couple years, but for the most part the 3 other teams, Miami, NYJ, and Buffalo are terrible.  They're basically handed the division before the season even starts.  This year they got a first round bye, and then played a team that might not even be a playoff team if they played in the NFC.  Wouldn't you take any of these teams over Houston on a neutral field: Falcons, 49ers, Packers, Redskins, Seahawks, Vikings, Bears, Giants, and Saints?  Maybe even the Cowboys? 

I think it makes the Patriots look a little better than they really are. 

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
NE hasn't won a SB since 2005.  They've had problems in playoffs since then.  We also have 'the man' at QB who is good deal younger than Brady.  I'll take our situation over theirs.

If Giants TE does not catch ball against his helmet or Asante holds on to the pick, NE wins Super Bowl in 2007.... if Welker makes catch late in game last year, they could have won that Super Bowl as well.

You make it sound as if Patriots have done nothing since 2005... they were potentially 2 plays from have 2 more rings.

Going forward with Brady getting older their window may be closing.  So I prefer Packers "situation" going forward.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
There has been some discussion about the difficulties of draftin late in every round and that it makes it hard to stay on top every year.
And though I completely agree with that there is one thing you cant get around: [strike]New England Patriots[/strike] The Green Bay Packers
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »

If Giants TE does not catch ball against his helmet or Asante holds on to the pick, NE wins Super Bowl in 2007.... if Welker makes catch late in game last year, they could have won that Super Bowl as well.

You make it sound as if Patriots have done nothing since 2005... they were potentially 2 plays from have 2 more rings.

Going forward with Brady getting older their window may be closing.  So I prefer Packers "situation" going forward.

I think the point has been that the Patriots path in the AFC 'Least' has been relatively easy compared to any path in the NFC.

Also, for every Welker drop there has been a "Tuck" rule.  They have had their share of breaks.  Potentially two plays away from two less rings. IMO  hatsoff)
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers