December 16, 2018, 02:56:00 AM

Author Topic: Is Jimmy G the Real Deal?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Is Jimmy G the Real Deal?
« on: December 18, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »
He looks it so far.

I mean the Niners were headed to a big zero for the year.  He comes in and revitalizes the franchise.  The fan were going nuts at the end of the game.

Its hard to believe the Browns did not trade for this guy.  Especially in light of the fact that the Niners got him so cheap, when compared to what the Rams gave up for Goff and the Eagles for Wentz.  I have always felt that he was going to be good.  Because is scouting a common opponent Urban Meyer looked at the film and said about Garropolo, "He's a great player."

That says something.  The Niners made a really good move.

Offline heikks86

• Starter
Re: Is Jimmy G the Real Deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
He looks it so far.

I mean the Niners were headed to a big zero for the year.  He comes in and revitalizes the franchise.  The fan were going nuts at the end of the game.

Its hard to believe the Browns did not trade for this guy.  Especially in light of the fact that the Niners got him so cheap, when compared to what the Rams gave up for Goff and the Eagles for Wentz.  I have always felt that he was going to be good.  Because is scouting a common opponent Urban Meyer looked at the film and said about Garropolo, "He's a great player."

That says something.  The Niners made a really good move.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Now, they have to pay the guy. Of course, they have over $61 million in cap space, so they can afford to pay him. But what is he worth? Are a few games enough to prove he's a franchise QB? So, it'll be interesting to see how they structure his contract.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
Jimmy G just wrote his ticket today.

I mean when you can do that to one of the best defenses there is, and you have very little to work with, that is something.

The Browns look almost insanely stupid today.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »

I mean when you can do that to one of the best defenses there is, and you have very little to work with, that is something.

And today is different from every other day because...? The Browns are the worst managed team in sports. Period.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

Just today?   ;)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
4 wins on the trot for the Niners. A better current run at this time than any other team.

Both his acquisition by the Niners and the loss this year of rodgers show the enormous impact a good QB has on a team.

All they have to worry about now is that he is out of contract after this year. Suppose he (on the quiet) promised the Patriots he'd come back to them after his contract runs out !!

Niners will want to get him signed in a hurry - even if he has a $20m pa price tag.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »

Rumor has it the Patriots wouldn't trade him to Cleveland, 'out of respect for Garoppolo'! Now, I am not convinced that is true, and while Cleveland has been futile for years, they are going to get 3 or 4 more really good football players this year. One is going to be a QB, in fact, if I were them I'd take QB's with both picks. Kind of like Jimmy Johnson did with the supplemental pick after taking Aikman.

That "other" QB will be worth quite a lot if they can develop them.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
It looks like golfman was right on this.

The Browns offered a number one pick for Jimmy G.  Which would have been the number four overall pick in the entire draft.  About 37 spots above what they got from the Niners.

That is really good for the QB, since BB wanted him to go to a good QB coach like Shanahan.

But if I am Kraft, I would be asking BB, "Well, that was nice for Jimmy, but I thought you were working for me.  What am I paying you all that money for?"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

The Browns offered a number one pick for Jimmy G.  Which would have been the number four overall pick in the entire draft.  About 37 spots above what they got from the Niners.

That is really good for the QB, since BB wanted him to go to a good QB coach like Shanahan.

But if I am Kraft, I would be asking BB, "Well, that was nice for Jimmy, but I thought you were working for me.  What am I paying you all that money for?"

Why did the Pats trade Garoppolo for a second from SF? Please don't think ofr a second it was because BB is a nice guy who wants what is best for a  player. Knowing the Browns, they probably were late in offering anything, whereas SF moved quickly. Or, something else. Because there is a lot happening in NE behind the scenes. Read the original ESPN report, and it seems more likely that given a choice between Brady (a glorious past) and Garoppolo (a very promising future), he wanted Jimmy G. And when told that wasn't a possibility, he simply took the first offer that came along, rather than calling around to see what other teams would offer. This is a personal theory. And I think the Pats are going to regret this decision. Sure, Brady probably has some good football in him, but is he going to play another 12-15 years at a high level, as seems likely with Garoppolo?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

...........and Belichek replies, "After you and Brady double-teamed me, you deserve what you get. When I leave (and that won't be long) enjoy a decade of futility, post Brady."
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »

...........and Belichek replies, "After you and Brady double-teamed me, you deserve what you get. When I leave (and that won't be long) enjoy a decade of futility, post Brady."

I agree. Anger/exasperation, being doubted and ignored when he has made the team one of the best franchises in NFL history. It could very well be "You wanted Garoppolo gone so TB could feel better? Fine. He's gone. And once Brady declines, we'll retire togetner, and you can clean up the mess. After all, possible franchise QB's don't come along often. After several QBs who were traded for more were busts, the real deal was let go for a pittance.