July 19, 2018, 10:36:27 AM

Author Topic: Rodgers and MM  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
Rodgers and MM
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »
Lets see if I got this correct, McCarthy came out and said Rodgers was starting because he was healthy enough to play. Not because the Packers needed to run the table to get to the playoffs. So after losing to Carolina, the powers that be put Rodgers on the IR. They didn't say he was re-injured, they just did this. IF Rodgers didn't get hurt, then MM IS a liar about playing him because he's "healthy enough".

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Rodgers and MM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
Lets see if I got this correct, McCarthy came out and said Rodgers was starting because he was healthy enough to play. Not because the Packers needed to run the table to get to the playoffs. So after losing to Carolina, the powers that be put Rodgers on the IR. They didn't say he was re-injured, they just did this. IF Rodgers didn't get hurt, then MM IS a liar about playing him because he's "healthy enough".

An interesting take. Is it possible that Rodgers was pushing the envelope and lobbying to start ASAP? And wasn't it AR who said he would come back "if it made sense", i.e. that there was still a chance to make the playoffs? And the team let him play, and lost. And once Atlanta won Monday night, the team was eliminated from the playoffs. So, they IR'ed him.

How does this make MM a liar? Was he healthy enough to play? Rodgers and the training staff/medicos said yes. But, do you risk your franchise QB in games when there is literally nothing to gain? If they had won and Atlanta had lost, then, sure, let Rodgers play against Minny. Because he is "healthy enough to play,", which in the NFL means you don't have a bone sticking through your skin. "Healthy enough" isn't healthy; its functional ability to play the position at an adequate level. Which is not the level AR is used to functioning. So, let him rest, give Hundley more playing time, and see what happens.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »
He was healthy enough to play or he wasn't. If he was cleared for last Sunday, he should play this Sunday. If he wasn't fit to play then he shouldn't have played last week. The fact that he was put back on IR suggests he wasn't. It looks to me like the Packers put their playoff circumstances above Rodgers health (probably with Rodgers collusion, as I think he wanted to play).

I know it is much easier to be critical when stood back and not involved, but  I thought the Packers med team (and head coach) were better than that.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
I know it is much easier to be critical when stood back and not involved, but  I thought the Packers med team (and head coach) were better than that.

Martellus Benett would agree, and will probably bring up this situation in arguing why he should keep his signing bonus.

Also, we have a fundamental disagreement here. Again, was Rodgers healthy enough to play? Yes. Was it a good idea to play him? Questionable, but, as we both agree, AR was probably pushing hard to return. Is it a good idea to risk his long term health when there is nothing to gain, and a lot to lose? I'd say no.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:52:56 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:25:12 AM »

Martellus Benett would agree, and will probably bring up this situation in arguing why he should keep his signing bonus.

Also, we have a fundamental disagreement here. Again, was Rodgers healthy enough to play? Yes. Was it a good idea to play him? Questionable, but, as we both agree, AR was probably pushing hard to return. Is it a good idea to risk his long term health when there is nothing to gain, and a lot to lose? I'd say no.

Was he CLEARLY healthy enough to play?  Check. (I believe I saw it).
Are there COUNTLESS players active on game day that fit that bill? Check.

Now - are we going to threaten "THE STAR" of the team as opposed to these other players? Far too subjective a topic for my tastes.

Is he healthy now and will he fully recover before next year? Check.

I dont see an issue.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
He was healthy enough to play or he wasn't. If he was cleared for last Sunday, he should play this Sunday. If he wasn't fit to play then he shouldn't have played last week. The fact that he was put back on IR suggests he wasn't. It looks to me like the Packers put their playoff circumstances above Rodgers health (probably with Rodgers collusion, as I think he wanted to play).

He might have been medically cleared to play against Carolina but he really wasn't himself.  I would love to see him play Saturday night but now that we are out of the playoff picture I can understand not wanting to risk re-injury.  If they let him play he breaks it again everyone would be storming 1265 with torches and pitch forks wanting heads on platters.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
Maybe Rodgers got hit hard enough to make playing again more risky?

Does any of this matter?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:59:46 PM »
Maybe Rodgers got hit hard enough to make playing again more risky?
Does any of this matter?

Not really.

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:07:53 AM »
AR played because the only way MM could win is with him at the helm. Without AR, MM is lost and he knows it.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:02:18 AM »
AR played because the only way MM could win is with him at the helm. Without AR, MM is lost and he knows it.

If MM is so lost how come with freaking Hundley in there instead of AR did we go on the road and give Pittsburgh all they could handle until our defense fell apart yet again?  I lay some of the blame here on Mike keeping Capers around far too long but I have no issues with MM running the offense.  After the Carolina game there was a distinct tone when MM was talking about his defense so I'm beginning to believe Mike might be finally ready to go in a different direction here this offseason.  We can only hope...