June 23, 2018, 05:04:40 AM

Author Topic: On the clock  (Read 3485 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: On the clock
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:15 PM »
We have lots of holes, but the first priority is retaining Aaron Rodgers.   The Packers cant afford to wait if Nelson and Cobb play after next year.  We have Adams and a bunch of JAGs across from him in 2019.  Making a investment in keeping Rodgers,  the Packers with the 14th pick? Select Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama.    Good WR with big upside, trapped in a running offense, and a running QB, he'll be very good at the next level.

This pick is subject to change and will change, but for today, he's the pick.  As mentioned retaining Rodgers should be priority one, then work heavily on the D.
Fire Away!!!

I actually wouldn't be completely against going heavy O and just trying to win shoot outs. Make the strength a bigger strength and winning big isn't a bad option, especially since we've had a bad recent track record drafting defense. I'd personally rather have Washington over Ridley since I think he is better in space and getting open on the intermediate routes, but I definitely get the Ridley love.

Yeah, we have so many ways we could go with this pick.  Will a new DC scheme get more out of what we have?  Clearly, we need a impact guy no matter what position.  Ridley would be good, but I'm sure I'll throw other players out there before the draft.  For now, he makes some sense. Heck, he may not even be there when we pick.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:00:14 PM by The GM »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 03:28:35 AM »
We have lots of holes, but the first priority is retaining Aaron Rodgers.   The Packers cant afford to wait if Nelson and Cobb play after next year.  We have Adams and a bunch of JAGs across from him in 2019.  Making a investment in keeping Rodgers,  the Packers with the 14th pick? Select Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama.    Good WR with big upside, trapped in a running offense, and a running QB, he'll be very good at the next level.

This pick is subject to change and will change, but for today, he's the pick.  As mentioned retaining Rodgers should be priority one, then work heavily on the D.
Fire Away!!!

I actually wouldn't be completely against going heavy O and just trying to win shoot outs. Make the strength a bigger strength and winning big isn't a bad option, especially since we've had a bad recent track record drafting defense. I'd personally rather have Washington over Ridley since I think he is better in space and getting open on the intermediate routes, but I definitely get the Ridley love.

Ugh! That didn't end well after a 15-1 season in 2010. There will always be that week (usually in the playoffs) where the offense can't get going and you have to rely on a sollid defense.

I hate the idea as a startegy personally.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »

Fire Away!!!

Ugh! That didn't end well after a 15-1 season in 2010. There will always be that week (usually in the playoffs) where the offense can't get going and you have to rely on a sollid defense.

I hate the idea as a startegy personally.

My rebuttal to this would be;

1. Our offense does need more help

On the OL- We are losing Evans, Bulaga is a big question mark, Linsley is a FA. Protecting AR is a priority
WR- I think we all agree we could use some more juice. Jordy  and Cobb might not be on the team and can't separate like they use to
TE- Ours will be Richard Rodgers again

2. I know our defense needs some pass rushers, but  is our personnel really just bad, or is it a combination of other factors(lack of our 1 real need (rusher), coaching, inexperience)?

-Personnel
   *Our DL has 2 studs (Daniels/Clark) and a few serviceable guys (Lowry Adams)
   *Our secondary has multiple top picks (Dix, Jones, Randall, King, Rollins... 50-50 on Burnett being back)
   *LB yes we need extra pass rusher or 2. I think most people think Clay/Perry/Martinez/Ryan all are NFL LBs, maybe not amazing but decent

-Inexperience- I mean look at some of the dumb mental errors that have cost us games. See Josh Jones against Carolina/Pitt. Those things aren't going to go away with more rookies

-Coaching/team philosophy- We've let go of 2 pro bowlers in the last 2 years in the secondary (Hayward/Hyde). This kind of goes hand and hand with my multiple top picks assessment, but at some point, we can't just keep drafting young players in an era with less practice and expect different results. Like watching Stafford pick us apart in the turkey hole, or Matt Ryan have wide open players against our zone every play, there are some systematic problems we have.

We've drafted D with our last 6 top picks and still have  a bottom 10 D. It isn't an athlete/resource issue. If we gave AR that much talent, we'd at least shred teams.

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Since the site is going to be shut down in as little as 2 days from now, the Packers 2018 mock draft:

1.)  Arden Key, EDGE, LSU, 6'6", 240 lbs.
2.)  Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State, 6'4", 275 lbs.
3.)  Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame, 6'5", 330 lbs.
4.)  Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia, 6'1", 225 lbs.
5.)  Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama, 6'1", 200 lbs.
6.)  Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa, 6'1", 190 lbs.
7.)  Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU, 6'4", 215 lbs.

WHOOPS - forgot about the comp picks!

1.)  Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA, 6'4", 220 lbs.
2.)  Shane Allen, QB, Wyoming, 6'5", 215 lbs.
3.)  Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma, 6'5", 255 lbs.
4.)  Sequon Barkley, RB, Penn St., 5'11", 225 lbs.

Always, always, have wanted to do that.  It's been fun.

Offline b0ss24

• Rookie
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
I did a fanspeak 5 round mock draft and if I could get these players where I drafted them id be running to the podium every time!!!!

1 round -- Harold Landry             Boston College    OLB    6'3"    250
2 round -- Isaiah Oliver             Colorado                    CB    6'1"    195
3 round -- Mark Andrews             Oklahoma            TE    6'5"    253    
3 round -- Dorance Armstrong     Kansas                    OLB    6'4"    241
4 round -- Rashaan Evans     Alabama                    ILB    6'2"    231
5 round -- Carlton Davis             Auburn                    CB    6'1"    195
5 round -- Dallas Goedert            S Dakota St            TE    6'4"    250
5 round -- Da'Shawn Hand    Alabama                    DL    6'4"    280
5 round -- Michael Deiter            Wisconsin            OC    6'5"    325

personally the first 3 picks have a slim chance to be drafted in those spots. Davis and Evans are 1st round picks Armstrong a 2ND and Goedert probably a 3rd based on shehan last year.

FIRE DOM ITS LONG OVER DEW!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
I did a fanspeak 5 round mock draft and if I could get these players where I drafted them id be running to the podium every time!!!!

2 round -- Isaiah Oliver             Colorado                    CB    6'1"    195
5 round -- Carlton Davis             Auburn                    CB    6'1"    195

personally the first 3 picks have a slim chance to be drafted in those spots. Davis and Evans are 1st round picks Armstrong a 2ND and Goedert probably a 3rd based on shehan last year.

Love that you doubled up at EDGE, CB and TE. I'd take this draft and call it good. Unfortunately by the time the combine is over a lot of these players are going to move up.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 11:20:43 PM »

As I said in an earlier post, if you just watch tape, you can't but like Harold Landry, a very productive player, and arguably a much safer bet than Arden Key.