September 23, 2018, 11:30:14 AM

Author Topic: Did I read correctly?  (Read 6002 times)

Offline BIG LEGEND

• Starter
Re: One week to PC site death.
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »
This forum has been around for over 20 years. During that time, there have been multiple serious issues plaguing the NFL. Strikes, lockouts and other labor strife. The site kept going. There were multiple instances of players committing domestic abuse against women. The site kept going. There were cases where people were murdered by players, or where players were around when people were murdered (Ray Lewis, I'm looking at you). The site kept going. Drug arrests, PED violations, DUI arrests. The site kept going. The NFL was shown to have ignored the issue of concussions, which led to the premature deaths of many players. The site kept going. It seemed that nothing the NFL was too much to be tolerated. But then came the truly unforgivable. What was it that broke the proverbial camel's back?

That, of course, was players daring to take a stand against racism and police involvement in the shooting of unarmed civilians. The disproportionate number of black males in jails. The large disparity of sentence length between blacks and other ethnicity's for the same crime. The large disparity of blacks facing arrest for minor drug offenses. A handful of players decided to protest this situation with a peaceful, symbolic gesture. It started with one player, Colin Kaepernick. When he was told that sitting was disrespectful, a former (Navy Seal? Green Beret?) told him that kneeling during the National Anthem was considered acceptable; that this was a common practice at military funerals by comrades of the fallen. This spread to a handful of players, and then a slightly larger group- never more than a total in the low dozens; then waned to less than ten players league wide. This sparked outrage at those who specified this protest against social ills as disrespect for the country, the military, the flag. The players would deny this, but the idea was out there, and the reaction of "pampered, overpaid ingrates spitting on the country that gave them this chance" became a meme. So, lets look at those charges.

First, pampered. Anyone who has watched an NFL game who thinks the players are "pampered" is not watching the game. It is violent, and players continuing to perform through injuries that would have most of us in the emergency room is just accepted as normal. Overpaid? These guys are doing something that only a few can achieve or withstand on a weekly basis for months at a time. They are literally looking over their shoulders every day, as the team looks for a better, or equal/cheaper replacement. Every year, the team brings in new guys to try to unseat them from their jobs. As far as being ungrateful, they weren't given anything. They didn't inherit millions, or usually grow up in stable conditions. They fought and resisted being sucked down by their circumstances to reach this position. Are they grateful to be there? Of course they are. Do they hate their country? No. they simply want to make it a better, safer environment for everyone.

So, because of the actions of a few, which became the reaction of most players when the president called them "SOB's", this site will be shut down. This is an action that is within the purview of the site owner. But to punish thousands who overwhelmingly condemned the protests to somehow "show the NFL they can't push us around" is, to me, a childish act of petulance. Coming from someone of a somewhat advanced age (full disclosure, I'm turning 68 in a matter of weeks), this is not something I'm typing hastily, or without considerable forethought. This is the reaction of a political snowflake, who needs to hide in a safe zone from the slings and arrows of different perspectives.

Do I think this will make any difference? No. But this makes me feel better. Adios, and hopefully, Auf wiedersehn.

To protest is fine, but there is a time and a place. The reasons behind these protests may be legitimate, but the time and place was not and is not. Kneeling during the anthem to honor your military brothers or sisters if that's the case is a hell of a lot different than what we are talking about here. I had a military veteran tell me this,
" Do you know a reason when you should kneel, sit or do anything but stand during the National Anthem, unless you physically can't stand, there is none and it doesn't matter your reason. In order to pay respect to the flag and to honor your country, you stand during the playing of the Anthem and the failure to do so is the opposite of honoring which is dishonoring. Using our flag and our anthem to draw attention to your protesting cause is shameful and does indeed show disrespect".

" However, the right to protest and kneel during the anthem is also a legitimate right, but that doesn't make it the correct thing to do.

I agree with this 100%

Ricky,

You and I have butted heads a few times as I was often very critical of the Packers for one reason or another, but in this great country we can do that. I wish you and yours nothing but the best, and maybe we will butt heads again if you are going to futures - I'll be Big L

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »
...So, because of the actions of a few, which became the reaction of most players when the president called them "SOB's", this site will be shut down. This is an action that is within the purview of the site owner. But to punish thousands who overwhelmingly condemned the protests to somehow "show the NFL they can't push us around" is, to me, a childish act of petulance. ....

So you've got personal inside info that the owner is closing the site because some players didn't respect the flag?  Wow, very unexpected reason, if true. 

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
...So, because of the actions of a few, which became the reaction of most players when the president called them "SOB's", this site will be shut down. This is an action that is within the purview of the site owner. But to punish thousands who overwhelmingly condemned the protests to somehow "show the NFL they can't push us around" is, to me, a childish act of petulance. ....

So you've got personal inside info that the owner is closing the site because some players didn't respect the flag?  Wow, very unexpected reason, if true.

That information was posted on the front page of PC.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »

That information was posted on the front page of PC.

No, I don't think that is true and I don't think that is why the site is closing.

Offline Minny Packer Fan

• Rookie
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
Just like to take a few moments and say thank you to Larry and Mark for this site.  I've been here for about 15 years and have really enjoyed being able to read the Chatter from other Packer Fans.  When I first came to this site Patty was a frequent writer and I really enjoyed the exchange of ideas and thoughts with her.  I might not post much, but I pretty much checked into this site every day to see what was happening. 

To Larry....I hope you have many great adventures in your RV in your winter home.  And Mark...your economic insights were a joy to read. 

I've moved over to FF and I hope to see many of you over there.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
This forum has been around for over 20 years. During that time, there have been multiple serious issues plaguing the NFL. Strikes, lockouts and other labor strife. The site kept going. There were multiple instances of players committing domestic abuse against women. The site kept going. There were cases where people were murdered by players, or where players were around when people were murdered (Ray Lewis, I'm looking at you). The site kept going. Drug arrests, PED violations, DUI arrests. The site kept going. The NFL was shown to have ignored the issue of concussions, which led to the premature deaths of many players. The site kept going. It seemed that nothing the NFL was too much to be tolerated. But then came the truly unforgivable. What was it that broke the proverbial camel's back?

That, of course, was players daring to take a stand against racism and police involvement in the shooting of unarmed civilians. The disproportionate number of black males in jails. The large disparity of sentence length between blacks and other ethnicity's for the same crime. The large disparity of blacks facing arrest for minor drug offenses. A handful of players decided to protest this situation with a peaceful, symbolic gesture. It started with one player, Colin Kaepernick. When he was told that sitting was disrespectful, a former (Navy Seal? Green Beret?) told him that kneeling during the National Anthem was considered acceptable; that this was a common practice at military funerals by comrades of the fallen. This spread to a handful of players, and then a slightly larger group- never more than a total in the low dozens; then waned to less than ten players league wide. This sparked outrage at those who specified this protest against social ills as disrespect for the country, the military, the flag. The players would deny this, but the idea was out there, and the reaction of "pampered, overpaid ingrates spitting on the country that gave them this chance" became a meme. So, lets look at those charges.

First, pampered. Anyone who has watched an NFL game who thinks the players are "pampered" is not watching the game. It is violent, and players continuing to perform through injuries that would have most of us in the emergency room is just accepted as normal. Overpaid? These guys are doing something that only a few can achieve or withstand on a weekly basis for months at a time. They are literally looking over their shoulders every day, as the team looks for a better, or equal/cheaper replacement. Every year, the team brings in new guys to try to unseat them from their jobs. As far as being ungrateful, they weren't given anything. They didn't inherit millions, or usually grow up in stable conditions. They fought and resisted being sucked down by their circumstances to reach this position. Are they grateful to be there? Of course they are. Do they hate their country? No. they simply want to make it a better, safer environment for everyone.

So, because of the actions of a few, which became the reaction of most players when the president called them "SOB's", this site will be shut down. This is an action that is within the purview of the site owner. But to punish thousands who overwhelmingly condemned the protests to somehow "show the NFL they can't push us around" is, to me, a childish act of petulance. Coming from someone of a somewhat advanced age (full disclosure, I'm turning 68 in a matter of weeks), this is not something I'm typing hastily, or without considerable forethought. This is the reaction of a political snowflake, who needs to hide in a safe zone from the slings and arrows of different perspectives.

Do I think this will make any difference? No. But this makes me feel better. Adios, and hopefully, Auf wiedersehn.

Cheers! At least he feels better now. That's all that matters!

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Did I read correctly?
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
Standby...Mark is very close to being able to continue the PC Forums.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.