October 15, 2018, 01:58:32 PM

Author Topic: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 05:44:01 AM »
I like the kid from BC, and the OLB from Clemson. The issue at hand will be whoever runs the defense will be looking at specific player types. The new GM and coaching staff will have to get on the same page.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:56 AM »
You mean Landry and Ferrell, it's easier when you put names to them.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »
Some names to throw out there.

R. Smith ILB Georgia
C. Ferrell OLB Clemson
H. Landry OLB Boston College
C. Sutton WR SMU
C. Ridley WR Alabama
Q. Nelson G Notre Dame
J. Jackson CB Iowa
D. Ward CB Ohio State

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 07:46:00 AM »
Some names to throw out there.

R. Smith ILB Georgia
C. Ferrell OLB Clemson
H. Landry OLB Boston College
C. Sutton WR SMU
C. Ridley WR Alabama
Q. Nelson G Notre Dame
J. Jackson CB Iowa
D. Ward CB Ohio State

I like this  list.  I'd add the tackles from Notre dame and Texas. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »

Mike McGlinchey and Connor Williams.

At 6'8", McGlinchey is too tall, so is Miller and Orlando Brown (imo). At that height you are either too heavy (Brown) or lacking the big bubble that scouts look for (Miller, McGlinchey).

Give me those 6'5" or 6'6", 310 to 320 lb guys. I have often seen draftniks and teams get overexcited by huge (in height and weight) players - they have too high a high failure rate for me. Don't be like the Lions who took Stockar McDougle in year 2000 when the Packers got Chad Clifton 24 picks later. They got hugely oversized OT Aaron Gibson a year earlier (1999), again with their first round pick. He tanked as well. Go back to 1997 and there was OT Juan Roque (pick 35) - 6'8" and yet another bust - Lions really did love their huge O linemen in those days........and it killed them.

Once you get over 320 lb knees, and ankles can wear out quickly and the weight causes other health problems. Huge height makes you a busride to get around, but it also means your reactions are slower.
Huge guys like Chester McGlockton (DT at Oakland, KC, Denver), a 350+ lb guy, died aged 42 of heart problems.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:56:41 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
I am really new to this year's draft class, but so far I have my eye on Calvin Ridley, Joshua Jackson, or one of the pass rushers (Ferrell, Landry... probably not Key or Chubb). We could be in luck if 3-4 QBs (Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield, Allen) go ahead of our pick.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
I am really new to this year's draft class, but so far I have my eye on Calvin Ridley, Joshua Jackson, or one of the pass rushers (Ferrell, Landry... probably not Key or Chubb). We could be in luck if 3-4 QBs (Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield, Allen) go ahead of our pick.

Man I really hope that happens. Two or three will go before GB picks, but four would really push down some talent. Too bad it's considered a relatively low talent pool this year.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

Mike McGlinchey and Connor Williams.

At 6'8", McGlinchey is too tall, so is Miller and Orlando Brown (imo). At that height you are either too heavy (Brown) or lacking the big bubble that scouts look for (Miller, McGlinchey).

So I take it you were not a fan of Johnathan Ogden then? Maybe one of the top 2-3 tackles of all-time.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »
As I understand it, this years draft is short of premium talent in the first few picks. After RB Saquon Barkley, S Minkah Fitzpatrick and DE Bradley Chubb, who else is there that is obviously top five ?

I know there will be QBs in there, but they are always overvalued, because that position makes a bigger difference to a team than any other. I haven't yet found a QB I could really get behind. My past record on them is fairly good, I really liked Wilson and Garoppolo before they were drafted. Laughed when Tebow, Maziel, Gabbert and Ponder were taken. I seem to have missed on Paxton Lynch, I thought he'd be good, but I'll give him  one more season.

Edge rushers look good, WRs look fairly deep, CB lacks elite players but is also deep. TE is not like the stellar 2017 draft, but it isn't bad either. There are four positions where the Packers could use a pick in the first three rounds (3 rounds plus a comp 3rd).

Picking at #14 is never going to get the Packers elite talent (unless they luck out), but it will be enough to get a very, very good player, there will be stronger options there for them, than if they were drafting late 20's or later still. It's still all a gamble, but it's one based on prior production, potential and scouting analysis. I'm still shooting for OLB, WR as the first two picks, then CB and TE in any order.

Ogden was a great tackle golf, special player, but at that size I don't like the odds.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:50:46 AM by OneTwoSixFive »

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
I'm all about Arden Key. If it wasn't for an ankle injury, he'd be a top 3 pick. As a sophmore when healthy was a complete beast and was arguably better than Myles Garret. Say it out loud (6'6'', 260-270, 4.7). Get him in a good locker room and with a year of technique coaching and watch out. He just looks different than most players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxzMh8ASB4

Landry/Chubb would be nice too, but I'm a sucker for upside

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
I think it will be the top OLB or top CB on the board at #14, unless they have both of them ranked lower.

If that’s the case they may try and trade down with a QB starved team and grab an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick.

This might be a year the go for quantity of picks to try and improve the talent depth on this team.

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
I'm all about Arden Key. If it wasn't for an ankle injury, he'd be a top 3 pick. As a sophmore when healthy was a complete beast and was arguably better than Myles Garret. Say it out loud (6'6'', 260-270, 4.7). Get him in a good locker room and with a year of technique coaching and watch out. He just looks different than most players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxzMh8ASB4

Landry/Chubb would be nice too, but I'm a sucker for upside

I'm on the fence with Key. There is no doubt he has incredible talent, but I get a Barkevious Mingo feel when I see him.  He played last year at 235-240, and this year he jumped to 270. It was said that his conditioning was questioned this year. A couple of flags that may cause him to drop a few spots.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
Whoever the new DC will be, I’m sure he will have input on the choice, especially after he gets a chance to evaluate the talent he inherits.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »
I think it will be the top OLB or top CB on the board at #14, unless they have both of them ranked lower.

If that’s the case they may try and trade down with a QB starved team and grab an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick.

This might be a year the go for quantity of picks to try and improve the talent depth on this team.

Don't forget we already have a bevvy of picks. I believe it's likely to break down as: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
I think they've spent way too much draft capital on the defensive side recently. I'd like to see a receiver taken first.