December 16, 2018, 03:03:18 AM

Author Topic: Unbelievable, Really  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Unbelievable, Really
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
I really thought this would be the new coaching gig for Jeff Fisher. Nowhere else is an ownership so committed to mediocrity. So content with being a league wide joke (Bungles). Why would the ownership allow this? Because they're making money.

In Dallas, likewise, its becoming increasingly obvious that Jason Garrett isn't the answer. But, JJ will keep him around. Why? Because he'll take orders and let all the positive attention be hogged by JJ. Though JJ does want to win another SB desperately before he passes, it'll never happen. That would take a strong coach who would stand up to him and tell him to butt out. He'd rather have a puppet and a bully pulpit than give any credit to anyone else.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
I agree that the Dallas situation is about as puzzling as Cincy.   Although Garreet has not been there that long.  But still, the expectations in Dallas are very high.

And I also agree, Garrett does not seem to be the answer.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:44:44 AM »
I agree that the Dallas situation is about as puzzling as Cincy.   Although Garreet has not been there that long.  But still, the expectations in Dallas are very high.

And I also agree, Garrett does not seem to be the answer.

I'm sure Bungle fans are thrilled Lewis is coming back.  Not.  ;D

And I don't mind Jerrah keeping Garrett either.  If he keeps holding the 'boys back that's fine with me.   ;)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
BTW, did you hear about the 0-16 parade in Cleveland?

Sponsored by Excedrin.

No joke.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:43:33 AM »
Back to Gruden's contract. When my wife asked what I thought about it, I said I thought it was stupid. Then, after some reflection, I added that it would depend on how the deal was structured. And sure enough, it is apparently backloaded. And the contract probably has a "buy out" clause after year four or five. At least, that is what would make sense. So, apparently Davis is smarter than I gave him credit for being in my earlier post.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/06/grudens-contract-is-backloaded/

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
But the story does not say if its guaranteed.

From my understanding, most coaching contracts are.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »

True, but it doesn't count against the salary cap. So, its not like signing an expensive FA and having dead money on the cap. Though that doesn't mean this is a good deal. Unless there is a buyout after three seasons, with a sliding scale of compensation as the salary extends out. For example, if Gruden is fired after three years, they can pay him a lump sum of $25 million and be done with him. Expensive, but if they've paid him $eveb $20 million in salary at that time, they're not being hit with being committed to that $100 million figure. Remember, with players, the contracts for FA's in particular always sound so huge, but once the contract details are made public, the deal is usually pretty team friendly. Expect the same thing with Gruden's contract. Right now, this is all "agent talk". Stay tuned.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:01 AM »

I can pretty much guarantee that Gruden's contract is NOT fully guaranteed.

The Raiders are a team moving to Las Vegas due to local revenue issues in Oakland causing cash flow issues.  They don't have the capacity to fully guarantee that kind of contract.

Link:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/04/18/nfl-relcation-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-chargers-los-angeles-rams/100611932/

This contract is structured the way it is to create a big splash, in an attempt to build excitement surrounding the team and help jump start more revenue in ticket sales, merchandise, etc.

It will be interesting to see if this strategy works for them.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »
With all of that cash being thrown around, may be why McKenzie wanted to stick around.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
With all of that cash being thrown around, may be why McKenzie wanted to stick around.

The Raiders yearly revenue is about 300 million, which is 400 million less than the Dallas Cowboys.  They are reportedly lowest in the NFL, and less than half of a team like the Cowboys.  That is why they are moving.

They don't have the cash to throw around.

McKenzie is likely staying because he took over a total bust of a program, and is building it into a winner.  I would venture to say that is more rewarding than taking over a successful program and trying to maintain that.

Look at the Thompson experience.  He took over a team with cap issues, a HOF QB nearing retirement, and some locker room issues, went on to find the new franchise QB, a super bowl win, 3 other trips to the NFL championship game, and playoffs for a near record streak- none of which was likely when he took over- but the discussion is of how he underperformed.

If the Raiders plan ends up successful, then McKenzie can say it was his plan, and not something he inherited.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:35:49 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
The Raiders yearly revenue is about 300 million, which is 400 million less than the Dallas Cowboys.  They are reportedly lowest in the NFL, and less than half of a team like the Cowboys.  That is why they are moving.

You have a data source on this Twain or is it from an article? Was wondering where the GBPs ranked.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »

You have a data source on this Twain or is it from an article? Was wondering where the GBPs ranked.

It is in the USA today article linked a couple of posts up.

Packers aren't listed in the article, but my belief is if you look it up, you will read that we are pretty high up because of the changes Murphy has been pursuing with stadium expansion, titletown district etc.

As the article points out, the salary cap is based on total league revenue, so teams that are significantly below average revenue can get handcuffed due to the much higher percentage of revenue that goes to the cap.

Edit: here is a copy of the link:  Link:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/04/18/nfl-relcation-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-chargers-los-angeles-rams/100611932/

quote:

The revenue disparity between teams is “the largest it’s ever been in NFL history,” Blackburn told USA TODAY Sports. Even though teams equally share the revenues of NFL television contracts and a portion of ticket sales, they don't share other local stadium revenues with each other, leading to the rising gap.

He said St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland essentially all lost NFL teams because of this issue. If they had stayed where they were, he said they faced an increasing financial squeeze as player salary expenses continue to shoot up for all teams while revenues definitely do not. The salary cap this year is $167 million per team, up from $155 million last year and $120 million in 2011.  Meanwhile, the gap between the highest- and lowest-revenue teams was $400 million, the Dallas Cowboys at $700 million compared to the Raiders at $300 million, according to Forbes in 2016.

“The challenges that are out there remain more in the growth of the salary cap, and that has been driven up by the new stadia in the larger markets,” Blackburn said. “And that’s exactly what the Chargers were looking at and the Raiders were looking at and the Rams were looking at.”
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:36:57 PM by Twain »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »

Here you go. Its only the top twenty teams, but shows current franchise value. The other stats are locked under pay-per-view:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-20-most-valuable-nfl-teams-in-2016-ranked/8/

But then again, the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, and they definitely needed to make a splash, per this article from NBC:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/how-jon-gruden-became-worth-any-price-mark-davis-and-raiders

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »
But every one of those teams moved.  In fact, the Rams got 74,000 spectators yesterday.

And the Raiders stadium will be state of the art.

But its an important point because the NFL makes about 7 billion a year off TV contracts.  That means that teams in the top percentile of stadium revenues make more on that than from broadcast rights.

This is why owners want localities to pitch in a lot for their new stadiums.  Then whatever they get from the local revenue is largely their own.

If you ask me GB has a really good situation in that aspect.  Since they can always go to the stockholders.

But I just wonder if there might be something brewing in all this with the decline in ratings this year.  There was not a real large profit margin for the TV rights before, but now?