May 19, 2019, 07:45:10 PM

Author Topic: Getting Started - Needs for 2013  (Read 7401 times)

57packer

Getting Started - Needs for 2013
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
Just threw this on here so the Main Draft board could get started.  We have some stuff on the 2012 Draft "Child Board", I think because it had a title and the main draft board doesn't.  I kept going there myself but kept wondering why it had a "2012" title since we are working toward the 2013 Draft.

Anyways, just so there is some content.  On the old boards there had been some discussion on needs for the upcoming draft and it seemed like every game an area is exposed or weakened by injury.  After 7 weeks here is how I see our needs:

QB - none
RB - think we'll need one as Benson might get some money in FA if he comes back and looks as good late as he did early.  Starks just doesn't seem like he has a future.  Don't need one early, but would like to see us add a guy in the middle rounds.
FB - none, though Kuhn is getting up there
TE - yup.  Finley is likely gone after this year.  If Quarless can come back full strength and Williams shows us something, this may not end up a need, but as of right now, I'd like to add one, but it would probably have to be later in the draft.
WR - probably need to add one in the first 2 rounds.  Driver is done.  Jennings likely gone, though I think the injury may hurt his bargaining power, so this could change by April.  If both go, I want a higher pick to develope behind Nelson, Jones and Cobb.
OT - without knowing what you have in Sherrod, it's hard to say.  Newhouse is just OK.  I wouldn't mind one early if he falls to us.
OG - man with Sitton and Lang both being very up and down, I'd like them to add some competition.
OC - am reading that maybe EDS is the answer here, but I'd still like to see us add a young guy to develope.

DT/DE - Pickett getting older and still lacking some depth, I'd like to add another one.  Against one of the poorest lines we'll see all year, the DL got no pressure on Bradford last week.  I'll keep adding them until someone stands out.
ILB - not a huge need, but I'd love to see what this defense looks like with a stud ILB in there
OLB - none.  Until we see what we've got in Perry, I wouldn't look at this position early.
CB - always take one if available.  Still, with Hayward and House looking pretty solid I'm not as concerned.
S - nope, just bring back the young guys and coach them up.  While I think Woodson's days in GB are numbered, all 4 youngsters are likely to continue to improve with experience.  I'm not sure that adding another young guy is the answer untill you figure out what you have with the 4 that are already on the team.

Well, for an awfully good football team we still have a number of spots to fill.  Yes, it's asking too much to have Pro-Bowlers at every position, but in terms of true needs for upgrades among starters or key player I think there are 3-4 positions where you'd like to see some help - OC, DE, RB and probably WR are where I focus with my first 4 picks.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Getting Started - Needs for 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
Just threw this on here so the Main Draft board could get started.  We have some stuff on the 2012 Draft "Child Board", I think because it had a title and the main draft board doesn't.  I kept going there myself but kept wondering why it had a "2012" title since we are working toward the 2013 Draft.

Anyways, just so there is some content.  On the old boards there had been some discussion on needs for the upcoming draft and it seemed like every game an area is exposed or weakened by injury.  After 7 weeks here is how I see our needs:
I agree with parts of this and disagree with others, I'll take it a bit at a time. Sorry if that makes it a bit fragmented.

QB - none
I think the Packers will be moving on from Harrell. I'm guessing B.J.Coleman becomes QB2 and the Packers get a late (6th or 7th) pick there.
RB - think we'll need one as Benson might get some money in FA if he comes back and looks as good late as he did early.  Starks just doesn't seem like he has a future.  Don't need one early, but would like to see us add a guy in the middle rounds.
My thinking is a good power back makes the whole offense work better. As it stands opponents can virtually ignore our run game, even when they go light on in-the-box players. A 220lb back like Lattimore (from S.Carolina, may be gone round one early) or Eddie Lacey (Alabama) in round three
FB - none, though Kuhn is getting up there.
I'd get a FB now as eventual replacement for Kuhn. It may be a guy who ends on the PS in 2013. Available at about round 5-6 are Zach Line (6'1", 230, SMU) or Jalston Fowler (6'1", 242, Alabama), Trey Millard (6'2", 249, Oklahoma), Braden Wilson (6'4", 254, K.C.State).
TE - yup.  Finley is likely gone after this year.  If Quarless can come back full strength and Williams shows us something, this may not end up a need, but as of right now, I'd like to add one, but it would probably have to be later in the draft.
Quarless + D.J.Williams +Crabtree + Taylor says to me we already have the depth here even if Finley goes. Sure we could get one later if value is there, but would a later round guy displace any of the guys we have here now. Don't want to carry 5 TE's again.
WR - probably need to add one in the first 2 rounds.  Driver is done.  Jennings likely gone, though I think the injury may hurt his bargaining power, so this could change by April.  If both go, I want a higher pick to develope behind Nelson, Jones and Cobb.
I do agree with this. If we lose Driver and Jennings (and maybe TE Finley too), WR could be our first round pick
OT - without knowing what you have in Sherrod, it's hard to say.  Newhouse is just OK.  I wouldn't mind one early if he falls to us.
Unless the perception of this draft changes, there isn't much available at center this year, not early starters anyway. I'm looking for us to get a mid-round pick here to develop. That means we probably get EDS starting for at least a year.While many seem to want to shut down Sherrod for the year I believe it is important for him to get playing time, so we have an idea of what we have. Whether we need another OT depends on what he shows.
OG - man with Sitton and Lang both being very up and down, I'd like them to add some competition.
Yep I'd like a C/G type for versatility
OC - am reading that maybe EDS is the answer here, but I'd still like to see us add a young guy to develop.

DT/DE - Pickett getting older and still lacking some depth, I'd like to add another one.  Against one of the poorest lines we'll see all year, the DL got no pressure on Bradford last week.  I'll keep adding them until someone stands out.
There might be several NT types in rounds 3-5. Jesse Williams (Alabama), Kwame Geathers (Georgia),  Daniel McCullers (Tennessee), Mister Cobble (great name....Kentucky)
ILB - not a huge need, but I'd love to see what this defense looks like with a stud ILB in there
Yep, stud or possible future stud or don't bother, I'll go with that.
OLB - none.  Until we see what we've got in Perry, I wouldn't look at this position early.
For me this is an opportunistic area, If you see good value guy, get him. We can stand to bump a guy or two at the bottom of the LB rotation.
CB - always take one if available.  Still, with Hayward and House looking pretty solid I'm not as concerned.
Can't argue with that
S - nope, just bring back the young guys and coach them up.  While I think Woodson's days in GB are numbered, all 4 youngsters are likely to continue to improve with experience.  I'm not sure that adding another young guy is the answer until you figure out what you have with the 4 that are already on the team.
I'm not sure about the value of M.D.Jennings or Sean Richardson, who is very raw at present. I'd like another mid round guy, but my thinking is the same as at OLB. I'd get a guy if the value is there and let competition sort out who stays

Well, for an awfully good football team we still have a number of spots to fill.  Yes, it's asking too much to have Pro-Bowlers at every position, but in terms of true needs for upgrades among starters or key player I think there are 3-4 positions where you'd like to see some help - OC, DE, RB and probably WR are where I focus with my first 4 picks.
I'd be happy with something like WR, RB, NT, C, best value pick, FB, QB.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:17:08 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
I think RB may be a bigger need than we think.  I'd love to see a big powerful back to go with our passing game.  I really think that would make the Packers nearly impossible to beat.  As far as the line goes, they always start slow and are up and down with their play.  I think I'd like to see Campen go as much as draft more players.  OT makes me nervous.  Newhouse protecting the best player in the game makes me more more than a little concerned.  To me, Perry seems out of position.  I'd like to see more players added to the pass-rush to help CM3 out. 

Thanks for getting the draft stuff started!   :)
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
Marcus Lattimore!
RB has been an afterthought for too long.  Prioritize it this year.  Like to see one by early 3rd.

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
Marcus Lattimore!
RB has been an afterthought for too long.  Prioritize it this year.  Like to see one by early 3rd.

A guy I like is RB Joseph Randle OKLAHOMA ST who we could potentially get in the 2nd round. I just thought I'd name drop there.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
The middle of the defense has some holes. We need another true wide-body on the DL in the mold of Pickett, and we need an ILB, a true thumper type.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »
Based on what we have on the field vs. what may be around next year here is the way I have it.

QB: Rodgers, Harrell, Coleman (set) even though I'd like a vet
RB: Green, Starks (need one)
FB: Kuhn (set)
WR: Cobb, Jones, Nelson, Boykin (Jennings goes need one in round 1 or 2. I'd prefer to have Jennings)
TE: Finley, Williams, Crabtree, Taylor, Quarless (I don't see us taking one with or without Finley)
T: Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod, Datko (Sherrod healthy we're set otherwise you need one.)
G: Lang, Sitton, Van Roten, Barclay (color me stupid but we're OK.
C: EDS (priority alert IMO)

DE: Wilson, Worthy, Neal, Daniel (good to go but you don't pass up a real talent
NT: Raji, Pickett (Let's see how Pick is playing at the end of the year. He's near the end.)
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Walden, Moses (anohter position you never pass on a talent)
ILB: Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Manning, Smith (Love Nico Johnson here. I have Bishop gone because of his contract)
CB: Williams, House, Hayward, Shields, Bush (always take one)
S: Burnett, McMillan, Richardson, Jennings (good with these kids)

As it stands our priorities in order

1. WR If Jennings gone
2. Center
3. BPA
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline lcisneiros

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »

QB - none
FB - none, though Kuhn is getting up there
OC - am reading that maybe EDS is the answer here, but I'd still like to see us add a young guy to develope.

S - nope, just bring back the young guys and coach them up.  While I think Woodson's days in GB are numbered, all 4 youngsters are likely to continue to improve with experience.  I'm not sure that adding another young guy is the answer untill you figure out what you have with the 4 that are already on the team.

Well, I mostly agree with everything there, but I would like a higher pick on a TE and another guy for Safety. Tyler Eifert from ND is a great option, IMO.

I remember when Finley had his flashes of greatness, the offense was just about unstoppable.
Safety, even if the young guys pan out, i'd like some guys for depth. The modern NFL just demands good secondary play, no team can risk injuries in this area ruining their seasons anymore.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
Just an early opinion here, we need a strong safety bad.  Our safeties do not come up to support the run and maybe that's the way Capers like it, but we really need a Chuck Cecil type who can cover.  The challenge for the scouts is to go out and find that individual.  I still have alot of concern with the OL.  Saturday is old and we need a stalwart guard.  I would have said LB is high on the list, but Jones played remarkably well and with speed in the middle yesterday.  I was impressed.  Walden has come back with a vengeance.  So Perry and Bishop will be back next year.  Believe it or not, I am ok at LB.  As for TE, Finley is beginning to remind me of an old Bubba Franks and that ain't good my friends!  I want an athletic TE that can block and catch and ain't afraid to split the seam down the middle.  Finley provides alot of mismatches, but he's more hype than production.  Case in point, Jason Whitten 17 catches in one game.  Hell, I'd be happy if Finley caught four balls in one Game!!! WR in Rd. 1.  Absolutely not!!!!  Plenty of good quality WR's in rds. 4/5/6.  This team needs a franchise RB.  I was harping on Doug Martin last year, but that fell through.  Graham Harrell is not a back-up, so we better be looking at a qb in rds. 3/4.  The kid from Alabama seems real consistent to me.  Since I've been around a long time, he does remind me alot of when Joe Namath was there, eerie resemblance in throwing characteristics. 

Just disagreeing with you a little.  I see franchise RB as need #1 unless TT makes a trade this year.  OL #2 priority, Safety #3, a couple of wideouts after that, and then maybe a DL/LB type later in the draft.  These guys tend to drop in the draft and we will land a nice one or two.  I'm more interested in increasing speed, not size on defense.  We have too many slow guys now.  As I said, I was really impressed with Jones speed at MLB yesterday.   

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Not a great year for running backs and it just got worse....Lattimore is done after that devastating injury Saturday. His entire football future might now be in doubt and they might red shirt him as it will take him at least a year to come back.....Think we might see Benson back next year at the min.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »
TT does BPA or best value and this year that opens up to RB and WR, so could be exciting draft!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
TT does BPA or best value and this year that opens up to RB and WR, so could be exciting draft!

I actually see both as needs after Driver and Jennings depart. I'd be happy with either position.  Both need to be addressed high in the draft.
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »
I think the 2nd or 3rd rounds will be good rounds to address RB. Heck, maybe even later. I just don't see a huge difference between the Eddie Lacy's of the world and the Stepfan Taylor's of the world. It could really be beneficial to add a RB for competition later in the draft, but I definitely don't think we need to go into the draft thinking that we have to grab one.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline ClayAttack420

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
I think the 2nd or 3rd rounds will be good rounds to address RB. Heck, maybe even later. I just don't see a huge difference between the Eddie Lacy's of the world and the Stepfan Taylor's of the world. It could really be beneficial to add a RB for competition later in the draft, but I definitely don't think we need to go into the draft thinking that we have to grab one.

I disagree. Been wrong about us finally getting a rb for 3-4 years now, but think MM and TT will finally pull.the trigger. MM has actually been trying to run. We actually ran more than pass against the Cards. We need that back to take the heat off Rodgers.

57packer

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »

I disagree. Been wrong about us finally getting a rb for 3-4 years now, but think MM and TT will finally pull.the trigger. MM has actually been trying to run. We actually ran more than pass against the Cards. We need that back to take the heat off Rodgers.

Not sure which part of Drew's post you disagree with.  I disagree with Drew in that I believe they will need one and they will see the need.  I agree that they really don't need to do anything before Rd 2 and likely even until Rd 3.  There are no Rd 1 RBs this year and chances are that Rd 2 and 3 will both contain some solid RB candidates, with some specialty backs available later. 

Also, they did just draft a RB in the 2nd Rd in 2011 so it's not like they aren't trying.  The problem for me is that they don't seem to draft guys who seem to translate well to an NFL "power" running game.  Benson is that kind of back, and re-signing him might buy you another year, but you need to find a guy who knows how to use his blocking and the small creases between the tackles to create favorable down and distance situations.