July 16, 2019, 05:59:34 PM

Author Topic: Defense roster  (Read 2139 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Defense roster
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
I am trying to get a handle on what type of players fit under the D coordinators system.  He likes big physical corners is that right?  And he likes players that can play multiple roles. With this in mind who of the current players best fit into this scheme and who would have problems?  How does this fit into how the team approaches the draft?

Thanks.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Defense roster
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
I am trying to get a handle on what type of players fit under the D coordinators system.  He likes big physical corners is that right?  And he likes players that can play multiple roles. With this in mind who of the current players best fit into this scheme and who would have problems?  How does this fit into how the team approaches the draft?

Thanks.

From what I understand, smart players,  normally veterans.  I think youll see a change to bring in some FAs.  Draft and develop will leave you behind.  There is room for it and its important, but if you are using it solely to build your team, you wont catch up IMO.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Thanks.

Man coverage, pressing at the los. Smart players. Guys with high end instincts like Ryan, Martinez, should fit in nicely. Speed is always good, so J.Jones should be ok, even though the instincts you'd like to see are not there (so far). Perhaps even more important in Pettine's schemes are versatile players who can do a variety of things when called upon.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:13 PM »
Sounds like Pettine is the kind of coach fans here have wanted- a guy with a flexible system that can adjust to the abilities of the players he has, as opposed to trying to change the players to fit the system.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
I curious to see how good our defense can be with a competent coach. The vikings have drafted the same or less defensive players high than we have. And look what a decent coach did with them. They are going to win a home superbowl. Because no one in the NFC can score on them. Ridiculous.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »
I still think we need a true impact player at ILB who can set the tone and lead. B. Martinez needs to be our second best ILB and then we will start to see a transformation. I am a strong proponent of R. Smith, Georgia or R. Evans, Alabama. J. Ryan is simply not fast enough and is JAG. J. Jones may have the measurables, but looked over matched and not instinctive this year, move him to SS and leave him there and let him provide the heat seeking missle impact we need in the back end and leave the ILB position to someone with great instincts, explosiveness, and speed.

Watching this weekends games has helped solidify this opinion and has stood out as deficient in the current Packers roster.

Offline JerryA

• Second String
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
If I had to pick one person I would not like to see on next years defensive roster it would be HHCD

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »
I have no idea what to expect, or who will fit into the new coaching staff’s plans. But I sure hope we see a defense that’s more aggressive and keeps the opposition in a reactive position, rather than vice versa.

As much as it pains me to say it, that viking defense that Coaches Zimmer and George Edwards have developed looks rugged! They’ve brought in players and coached them up to be physically and mentally much tougher than 2-3 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:54:28 PM by JQ »

Offline JerryA

• Second String
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:11 AM »
Maybe by having a new DC, Gute will have more flexibility in creating a new defensive roster. There will be less incentive in keeping underperforming players because they are familiar with the skeem since the new DC will have his own terminology and techniques.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:21:52 AM »
After the second game, I wondered what was up w/ HHCD. No impact and JJ hadn't really taken off so that safety position was looking kind of weak. I think JJ will be a very good player, he just needs experience. Burnett is fragile but when he plays....doesn't make many mistakes.

CBs are good not great. King should be better and Randall finally played liked he belonged to an NFL team.

ILBs for the first time in a long time Martinez was a tackling fool, but not a lot of impact plays.

OLBs, yuck is the only term I want to use.

Dline is the strength of the defense and actually think Mt. Adams comes on strong this season.

So what does Pettine do and where does that #14 pick go? That's the big question and frankly you can make an argument that the Packers could make a pick in any of those areas and make a difference in their defense. It will come down to who's available. I think, with my minimum amount of research at this time, that the Pack will have an edge guy available....safety available in James..probably no corner....no ILB that's rated that high...and a DT in Vea.

There are lots of holes in the Packers defense and I'm hoping that some players on the current roster start making some moves.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:17:32 AM »
If I had to pick one person I would not like to see on next years defensive roster it would be HHCD

You’d get rid of a pro bowl caliber safety after one down season? That would’ve a huge mistake since they have no one to replace him

Offline Pack Da Bomb

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
Safety is one if not the deepest position groups on the team. But I’d like Burnett back on a team friendly/ reasonable deal too. 

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
Any position is upgradable although I like the d-line and if Adams is the real deal, I feel good there, unless a true stud is available and then you pull the trigger.

Edge rushers are needed as is another ILB along with secondary help. I think you take the best defensive player available, where have we heard that before. They need someone that can come in and play, and I hope he is tough, because I don't think this defense has been a physically tough unit.

I love the kid from Georgia - he plays like ex-Buc D. Brooks

I would make a big push in free agency to shore up one of these areas, as I believe this to be critical if the Packers are going to be serious contenders next season.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Any position is upgradable although I like the d-line and if Adams is the real deal, I feel good there, unless a true stud is available and then you pull the trigger.

Edge rushers are needed as is another ILB along with secondary help. I think you take the best defensive player available, where have we heard that before. They need someone that can come in and play, and I hope he is tough, because I don't think this defense has been a physically tough unit.

I love the kid from Georgia - he plays like ex-Buc D. Brooks

I would make a big push in free agency to shore up one of these areas, as I believe this to be critical if the Packers are going to be serious contenders next season.

I would think that they need to address CB opposite from Kenny King and depth with similar CBs. Randell and Rollins have proven that they can't cover bigger more physical WRs. Kenny King could do this as a Rookie a lot better than those two.