October 15, 2019, 01:25:59 AM

Author Topic: Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM  (Read 5473 times)

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
Re: Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
 I like the hire. I hope that Wolf will stick around for a season or two. He will be a wanted candidate soon. Well, this is my last post on PC. I wish LMG fun on his travels. I hope to travel as much as possible once I retire. Good Luck!

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
After hearing how Ball was a lot like TT I was hoping he wouldn't be the guy. That may be why Murphy went with Gut. If so, I am happy. Does anyone else find it just as ironic and our luck that we finally get changes and a decent draft pick, and the draft is pretty weak all around.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
This seems to be a popular pick and one that is supported by MM and reports of Rodgers on board also doesn't hurt.  To be honest, I would think keeping of Elliot Wolf as the Ass't GM would be much more valuable than keeping Ball and the money end of things.  Good personnel people have got to be tougher to find than money people. 

Now, Gute - lets get things going.  Settle into some modern football operations of free agency, trades, and making moves for the current team and not always having the team 3 years from now as the sole key for your decisions. 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
This seems to be a popular pick and one that is supported by MM and reports of Rodgers on board also doesn't hurt.  To be honest, I would think keeping of Elliot Wolf as the Ass't GM would be much more valuable than keeping Ball and the money end of things.  Good personnel people have got to be tougher to find than money people. 

Now, Gute - lets get things going.  Settle into some modern football operations of free agency, trades, and making moves for the current team and not always having the team 3 years from now as the sole key for your decisions.

+1
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »

Ask Andrew Brandt if he agrees that good “money people” are not important and/or easy to find.

Contract structure landscape is constantly changing. They are a very important piece of a team management puzzle.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »

Ask Andrew Brandt if he agrees that good “money people” are not important and/or easy to find.

Contract structure landscape is constantly changing. They are a very important piece of a team management puzzle.

Grossly underestimating Ball's value. Like OLinemen, people don't see the value until you don't have good ones. Ball is still a huge asset in the Packers front office.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »
Congrats to Guts now let's go after some FA and solid draft picks.  Here's hoping for an outside D.C. to bring new ideas and get the most out of our defensive players.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:36:26 PM by MO.Pack »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: New GM is Brian Gutekunst!!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
....Ball is not going anywhere. The Packers couldn't be so lucky to have Wolf leave on his own.

RT, I'm not tracking the last sentence about Wolf?  Are you saying the Packers should want him gone?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »
They need to keep Ball, especially with a new and young GM.  It will be important for Gute have someone experienced to run the books, and run numbers.  Ball's experience not only in his field also some others will be invaluable.  You gotta have those guys.
Im hearing Murphy and Gute are trying to concvince Wolf to stay.  Why wouldnt he until he got a GM opportunity somewhere else?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:48:31 PM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
What does this mean for MM? It was rumored that Ball would mean a quick exit for MM. What will this mean for FA? Will Gute be more aggressive? Because if so, then Ball is crucial, since he would have to renegotiate contracts with some big money players (Cobb, Nelson, Cobb) to clear some cap space. IAlso, he has a strong background in scouting, so he should have some strong opinions as to who he'd like to draft. And he has to be willing to say to TT, "Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to do this instead." This profile details his background:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

There is even speculation that Gutekunst was NOT the PAckers first choice, but a solid Plan B. Maybe. Will Ball stick around? Why not? Give him a bump in salary and responsibility, puff up his title, and all should be well. Wolf? He might very well go elsewhere. The question being, if his name were Smith or Jones, would anyone really care? It seems he is like the Jeff Janis of the front office- highly hyped, but perhaps not ready for prime time.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/7/16860478/brian-gutekunst-green-bay-packers-gm-hire-promotion-ted-thompson

So, is OK to say this sounds like "Gute news"?  facepalm)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:50:50 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
Yes, best wishes to Gute, hope he does a great job. 

I like Gute; always thought he gave thoughtful interviews and draft reports, and that he spoke well and cheerfully.  Seemed to have a good way with the media.  So just on the "likeability", seems good. 

How good he will be as an analyst, a scout, a drafter, I have zero idea.  Hoping he'll prove to be very smart and effective. 

Think Ball is a very capable administrator.  So I'm optimistic that Ball will stay and provide a good complement so that Gute can focus on scouting and do that effectively. 

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Yes, best wishes to Gute, hope he does a great job. 

I like Gute; always thought he gave thoughtful interviews and draft reports, and that he spoke well and cheerfully.  Seemed to have a good way with the media.  So just on the "likeability", seems good. 

How good he will be as an analyst, a scout, a drafter, I have zero idea.  Hoping he'll prove to be very smart and effective. 

Think Ball is a very capable administrator.  So I'm optimistic that Ball will stay and provide a good complement so that Gute can focus on scouting and do that effectively.

My feelings as well.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
I want Wolf to stick around through the draft as it would be hard to hire someone else this time of year.  After 1 May he can go wherever he wants and I will wish him well.  Then Brian G can make what changes he wants in the office.

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
What does this mean for MM? It was rumored that Ball would mean a quick exit for MM. What will this mean for FA? Will Gute be more aggressive? Because if so, then Ball is crucial, since he would have to renegotiate contracts with some big money players (Cobb, Nelson, Cobb) to clear some cap space. IAlso, he has a strong background in scouting, so he should have some strong opinions as to who he'd like to draft. And he has to be willing to say to TT, "Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to do this instead." This profile details his background:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

There is even speculation that Gutekunst was NOT the PAckers first choice, but a solid Plan B. Maybe. Will Ball stick around? Why not? Give him a bump in salary and responsibility, puff up his title, and all should be well. Wolf? He might very well go elsewhere. The question being, if his name were Smith or Jones, would anyone really care? It seems he is like the Jeff Janis of the front office- highly hyped, but perhaps not ready for prime time.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/7/16860478/brian-gutekunst-green-bay-packers-gm-hire-promotion-ted-thompson

So, is OK to say this sounds like "Gute news"?  facepalm)

Looking around on other forums and socials media  the consensus  two days ago was anyone but Ball. Now that Gute got the job a lot of people are pissed that Wolf didn’t get the job.

I agree that the hype around Eliot wouldn’t be as much if he had a different last name. Everyone is assuming he is gonna be exactly like Ron.  He is a good candidate but he’s still young if he would have gotten the job he would have been the youngest GM in nfl history

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »

Looking around on other forums and socials media  the consensus  two days ago was anyone but Ball. Now that Gute got the job a lot of people are pissed that Wolf didn’t get the job.

We may not be looking at the same sites, but I have seen very little of the angry people, since the announcement.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"