July 23, 2019, 02:35:03 AM

Author Topic: Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM  (Read 5104 times)

Offline heikks86

• Starter
Re: Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »

Looking around on other forums and socials media  the consensus  two days ago was anyone but Ball. Now that Gute got the job a lot of people are pissed that Wolf didn’t get the job.

We may not be looking at the same sites, but I have seen very little of the angry people, since the announcement.

The other forum I frequent the forum on the former scout now 24/7 most there aren’t happy. But they are usually always upset about something and most optimistic fans have abandoned that site

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
A lot of the comments from reporters and the like are general- Gute is a good hire etc.  On Packers News Le Roy Butler offers a bit of insight into Gute's approach.  He suggested the roster will continue to be young but very athletic.  That's nice to hear

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 06:07:34 PM »
They need to keep Ball, especially with a new and young GM.  It will be important for Gute have someone experienced to run the books, and run numbers.  Ball's experience not only in his field also some others will be invaluable.  You gotta have those guys.
Im hearing Murphy and Gute are trying to concvince Wolf to stay.  Why wouldnt he until he got a GM opportunity somewhere else?

Where are you'hearing' that??
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
They need to keep Ball, especially with a new and young GM.  It will be important for Gute have someone experienced to run the books, and run numbers.  Ball's experience not only in his field also some others will be invaluable.  You gotta have those guys.
Im hearing Murphy and Gute are trying to concvince Wolf to stay.  Why wouldnt he until he got a GM opportunity somewhere else?

I saw it on Tom silversteins twitter
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:27:56 PM by heikks86 »

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
Gutekunst sounds like a solid pick, is there really any reason to go outside the Packers organization since the front office seems well regraded around the league. I pretty much no nothing about any GM picks besides what I have read online...  ;D

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
Gutekunst sounds like a solid pick, is there really any reason to go outside the Packers organization since the front office seems well regraded around the league. I pretty much no nothing about any GM picks besides what I have read online...  ;D

Same here Chicago PF!

Gutekunst has interviewed for several other teams for their GM job, and reportedly was ready to do the same again for the Houston GM opening. So the fact that he’s generated so much interest from other teams would suggest to me he’s a solid choice.

I think he’ll be a breath of fresh air in that front office, and I hope the Packers will find a way to keep Eliot Wolf in the fold as well!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
Seemed like a really nice, likeable guy in the interview.  Really hope he'll be successful.

Sounds like he intends to invest time and personnel into free agents.  Wonder what impact that could have; spend less time scouting college prospects?  Hire some extra scouts so if guys are reallocating say 10 hours/week towards studying FA's, somebody else can pick up the reduced hours spend on draft prospects? 

I really liked the guy and thought he spoke well. 

Not to be a negativist, but I did thought he stayed vague on a couple of places where he could have easily included a little specific.  When asked about financial standing heading into FA, he gave a weak avoidant non-answer.  Another time was asked about Packer Way, and he said there was one but didn't mention anything specific. 

They also didn't really give much clarity on the Ball/Gute aspect.  I get having Ball negotiate contracts.  But other than in the draft or minimum-wage guys, money is a part of every other decision. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:48 AM »
Gutekunst seems like he might be the "new sheriff in town". That is, if his rhetoric is followed up by action. The most alarming statement in the article was that "17% of the roster didn't offer anything on offense or defense." Ouch. But this is nothing new, so why is this suddenly being brought up? Then again, there is a contingent of Packers fans who simply don't like to read negative things about their team. The hatred of McGinn by some is a prime example. Anyway, here's the article. I'm sticking with my prediction of a FA signing on both sides of the ball. TE for offense, DE/OLB on defense.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/brian-gutekunst-eyes-aggressive-approach-packers-roster/1014078001/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
I thought it was interesting what Murphy had to say about what he thought of BG draft analysis for the first 4 rounds of the draft.  I think he said for the last 5 years and compare them to E. Wolfs.  Murphy said he was quite impressed with what he saw.

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Gutekunst seems like he might be the "new sheriff in town". That is, if his rhetoric is followed up by action. The most alarming statement in the article was that "17% of the roster didn't offer anything on offense or defense." Ouch. But this is nothing new, so why is this suddenly being brought up? Then again, there is a contingent of Packers fans who simply don't like to read negative things about their team. The hatred of McGinn by some is a prime example. Anyway, here's the article. I'm sticking with my prediction of a FA signing on both sides of the ball. TE for offense, DE/OLB on defense.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/brian-gutekunst-eyes-aggressive-approach-packers-roster/1014078001/

Wouldn’t the 17% be considered specials teams players?  If so 17% of 53 would be about 9 players, Crosby, Vogel, Goode and Janis would be considered special teams only so there’s about 5 others who don’t contribute to offense or defense

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »

Wouldn’t the 17% be considered specials teams players?  If so 17% of 53 would be about 9 players, Crosby, Vogel, Goode and Janis would be considered special teams only so there’s about 5 others who don’t contribute to offense or defense

He listed the players he was referring to as 17%: "cornerbacks Pipkins and Donatello Brown, safety Marwin Evans, offensive linemen Dillon Day, Ulrick John and Adam Pankey, running back Devante Mays, fullback Joe Kerridge and outside linebacker Chris Odom"

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »

He listed the players he was referring to as 17%: "cornerbacks Pipkins and Donatello Brown, safety Marwin Evans, offensive linemen Dillon Day, Ulrick John and Adam Pankey, running back Devante Mays, fullback Joe Kerridge and outside linebacker Chris Odom"

Ah I didn’t read the article. But It’s like that for most NFL teams they have a few players who never play much during the season. The game day roster is 46 players dressing so every week there’s 7 not dressing, most of the players listed didn’t play much early on, only time they started playing was after multiple injuries

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »

BR team stream has multiple sources saying this.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

Same here Chicago PF!

Gutekunst has interviewed for several other teams for their GM job, and reportedly was ready to do the same again for the Houston GM opening. So the fact that he’s generated so much interest from other teams would suggest to me he’s a solid choice.

I think he’ll be a breath of fresh air in that front office, and I hope the Packers will find a way to keep Eliot Wolf in the fold as well!

Ron Wolf came out and said this about his son not getting the GM job.  ""Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."   Seems his tone is one of disappointment and I am not so sure Eliot will stick around but hightail it to Oakland or Cleveland.
here is the rest of the article.  http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43349/eliot-wolf-has-options-from-oakland-to-cleveland-with-green-bay-in-between

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
I'm really anticipating this off-season to see exactly how aggressive Gutekunst is in player acquisition.