September 21, 2018, 06:59:43 AM

Author Topic: What changes to the roster would you like too see  (Read 2645 times)

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
Re: What changes to the roster would you like too see
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
 I see an organization and fan base wiping egg off their faces. If #12 doesn't get hurt, we're probably a 1st round playoff bye team. There are a lot of young players that will get better along with some new coaches to bring in a breath of fresh air. Every team has holes, and we have been in a minor on the run rebuild over the last couple seasons while competing. Draft and develop hasn't gone our way the last couple years, hopefully this year we enjoy the fruits.

Bring back our own key players, add some vets where needed, sing a big FA or two and we are a scary team next year. This draft will be very important for the future, we need the next gen WR.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »
Offense:

1.) Dig for another QB to challenge or replace Hundley
2.) We really need to strengthen the back half of the WR position. (Allison, Davis, Clark, Janis)
3.) Tight End position really needs a boost in talent. Kendricks isn't an ideal starter, but could be a decent #2
4.) Need to figure out depth at OT. Spriggs, Murphy and Bulaga are all coming off season-ending injuries
5.) Who is going to play Right Guard in 2018?

I think most or all of these are going to be addressed in the draft (WR) or we have an answer already on the roster (Guard, Tackle)

Defense:

1.) Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. Personally, I think we'll see a somewhat rejuvenated Matthews in Pettine's D, but he really needs a complement.
2.) I think King and Randall will be pretty good next year, but the depth behind them is filled with question marks.
3.) We will have to figure out the Safety position with Clinton-Dix playing terribly, and Burnett coming up on Free-Agency.

I think we'll HAVE to dig into Free Agency on this side of the ball. Maybe a pass rush guy like Chris Smith (Bengals)? I think we'll re-sign Burnett and grab someone high in the draft to complement King and Randall at CB.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
We all think highly of Thompson's drafting skills. I'd like to see our new DC start getting solid production out of our existing players.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
We all think highly of Thompson's drafting skills. I'd like to see our new DC start getting solid production out of our existing players.

Thompson had some really good drafts. But he refused to retain key players like at center and guard or Corners.  But their is a ton of talent that hasn't been coached right nor put in the right position to make plays.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:29 AM »

Thompson had some really good drafts. But he refused to retain key players like at center and guard or Corners.  But their is a ton of talent that hasn't been coached right nor put in the right position to make plays.

I don't knock Thompson for the loss of Sitton or Lang, the Packers moved on from them, even though Evans was a short-term fix. Tretter was a starter level guy and was going to be paid as one. He was never likely to stay in Green Bay being paid backup money - It was all about choosing Linsley or Tretter, and they went with Linsley. I do agree that a better job could/should have been done coaching.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 06:45:22 AM »

Letting Hayward go at the time seemed like the right move Randall was coming off s promising rookie year and they still had Shields, and during his time in GB he struggled when playing outside.

Hyde was a good but not great player in GB mostly because he played multiple positions. It would have been nice to keep him but you can’t keep everyone. Looking back if they would have kept Hyde and played him at safety they could have let Burnett go this off season and instead of drafting Jones they could have taken Schuster-Smith.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 06:56:38 AM »
 I'd like to see them sign either an EDGE rusher or CB in FA, and then draft whichever of those two they didn't sign with the first pick. Go offense the rest of the way. Give AR some more weapons, preferably with some speed.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
Obviously, the defense needs to be addressed. But how about some tweaks on the offense? Perhaps a fast WR or a field stretching TE? Here are some possibilities: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/10-offensive-players-the-packers-should-pursue-in-free-agency-302

I'd be interested in Richardson and Burton. Because AR can make receivers look a lot better.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

Spot on Lawrence, Need to see what we got in a new scheme.  Some of these guys might explode in a different defense with different responsibilities.  Gotta find out what we do have.  Hopefully, Gute and Pettine can sit and review film and see what he has on the roster and potential pieces to add.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:34:19 AM by The GM »

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
It seems like they will have to address edge rusher in the draft, because it looks like FA is lacking at this point.
There are some CB, WR and TE in FA, so hopefully they try to address all of those in FA and draft.  That could actually be possible now??
Could GB go into a season without a glaring positional weakness?  Things are looking up at this point.

Maybe Pettine can get something out of Rollins.  I think our DBs might turn out to be much better players than we have seen over the last few years.
I think the decision on 42 will be made after Pettine does a film study.  He has been kind of up and down under DC, maybe Pettine loves or hates him in a couple months.
Backup QB is a must.  FA would seem to offer only inadequate back ups or guys that are too expensive.  I think they have to draft someone.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »
Drafting a QB is an issue, I think.  How many high-round QB's are really rookie-ready?  And then for a team that has some glaring and obvious needs for it's first-day picks, how many 2nd-day QB draftees are ready to be rookie-ready backups? 

If the goal is to have a somewhat anti-awful-right-now guy, I don't see how that's really possible through the draft unless you spend one of your very few and very precious 1st/2nd-day picks.  And even then you're taking a big chance. 

I wonder what Sam Bradford will get and where he'll go?  Not that Packers would be in play; he's obviously not going to win the Packers starting job.  So he should sign somewhere with a chance to win the job.  But he's a very accurate passer. 

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
I would like to see more veteran back-ups than un drafted free agent rookies. So when we do have injuries we would have some experienced players come in. The young guys just make too many mental errors.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
Pettine like his CB's to play press-man. That happens to be House's best suit.............bring him back at a modest 2-3 yr deal and draft future CB to replace him in year of two. King can play press-man too, and that's a plus, so it might not have to be a 1st rounder pick at CB. Also, they have a couple of developmental players that could factor in as well. Lenzy Pipkins and Herb Waters fit with what Pettine looks for in CB's. Stay tuned.

As far as pass rushers............We didn't see anything from Chris Odom this last year, even though TT signed him to the 53 man roster from ATL. My question is..........Is his lack of any appreciable playing time because he's lacks talent? Or, because Capers didn't recognize talent? Maybe the same can be said for Reggie Gilbert, although we did see him play some late in the season. Was that enough to determine he's worth keeping? I'll let Pettine decide after he examines tape/film of all his defensive players he's going to inherit. Vince Beigel's off-season development loom large in this group as well. Will they draft edge rushers? I believe that a big 10-4 good buddy! I've seen several names kicked around here for 1st round picks. Here's a few names that could be had in rounds 2 or 3 (Malik Jefferson, Justin Lawler, Sione Teuhema).

Big questions loom regarding Matthews, Nelson, and Cobb. Not sure I want to speculate to much, but Gute has some tough decisions coming up real soon regarding these 3. Keep as is? Extend & restructure to get cap numbers down? Outright release? Tough calls.

I would like to see Gute bring in a mid-range FA wide-receiver (Taylor Gabriel). He has legit 4.40 speed, and GB has the slowest WR corp in the NFL. With him you get veteran experience and speed. GB needs both. Then draft a WR as well. I happen to like Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame. Big kid (6-4/205) with "enough" speed (could be sub 4.5), let's wait for the Combine. But he is recognized as a very accomplished route runner, something than Janis and Davis have not shown while in GB. Then, they also have to see what they have in Michael Clark and DeAngelo Yancey as well. Moving on from Cobb, or Nelson, or both may not be as grim as it sounds at this moment.

As for TE, do they dip into FA again? Didn't work so well last year, but if they make a smart choice this year...........ya never know! I do think a draft pick is looming for this position, but I'm also intrigued by the athleticism of "futures contract player" Robert Tonyan. Green as grass at TE (QB who converted to WR with 3 seasons at that position.....now to TE). We've seen this type of attempted transition in GB before. Maybe this time they get something positive out of it. Lord knows a player who stands 6-5 and can run a 4.58 with a vertical of 35" does raise your eyebrows!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
Thanks, danno, some good thoughts. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »
I would like to see another back-up QB that can win games. If another QB coach can make Hundley that guy, then great. If not they have to make a decision the find one that can win half the games he plays.

RBs seems set and one side of the offensive line seems set. The other side with a bunch of beat up OTs isn't ideal. I think the OG on the right will be OK with either McCray or Patrick. Evans coming back isn't bad, could be a great insurance policy.

WR/TE positions are OK and bad. Need some better guys behind Nelson/Adams and Cobb. Guys that will eventually replace Cobb and Nelson. Don't have them and probably need to sign at least one good #3 receiver. TE is in pretty bad shape. No playmakers and two solid move the chains, but nothing else guys. Again rookies won't do, it takes toooooo long for them to grasp pro positions. (I know always exceptions but for majority of rookies..they don't make TE impacts). So TE FA signing seems to be a must.

That makes a FA signing of OT/WR/TE. Not that bad and adds new blood to the team.

Defense needs a pass rusher. None will be signed in FA because of cost. (I could be wrong, just don't see it.) So another FA signing at a starting CB position is definitly in the mix.

So adding a CB will make it 4 positions to look at during FA. Getting two starters from those 4 would be outstanding. With 12 new draft choices and 12 UDFAs and Green Bay may see January games again!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!