June 23, 2018, 06:36:14 PM

Author Topic: MM knows how to play against BB  (Read 426 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
MM knows how to play against BB
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:00:34 AM »
I'll probably get some negative responses, but watching the NE and Jax yesterday...I realized that MM knows how to attack a BB coached team. Bold statement since they are 1-1, but hear me out.
Green Bay went up the NE w/o Rodgers as the starting QB , but ran his offense and held the lead a couple of times before the Patriots pulled it out. At Green Bay, Green Bay won and it was actually closer than I thought it would be. I was expecting a strong Green Bay win. Both of those games Green Bay did something that other teams don't want to do or can't do...change their way to attack the Patriots after the half.
As an example, Jax was running the ball on first downs and getting 3-4 yards a carry. The second half, they tried to continue that trend and found that BB stopped the run and was ready to for those short passes on third down. MM played both of the games against BB with an aggressive passing attack in the first half and a more ball control attack in the second. Against BB you have to change it up or he will stop your trends.

It doesn't make MM a better coach than BB, but he does seem to know what will work against him. Coughlin knows too that pressure will stop Brady, but MM doesn't have that type of pass rush on his team so he has to do it by his offense.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
Re: MM knows how to play against BB
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
Coughlin had Brady on his heels the first half for sure.  Made Brady actually look very ordinary and frazzled.  I didn’t get to see most of the second half as I was in transition to watch the second game, but I suspect as you stated that B.B. made adjustments to his offense to take what little Jax was giving and put some points on the board.

I noticed in the first half also that Brady made some throws that would result in one of three outcomes: either his own receiver would catch the ball, or, the ball was not catchable but positioned in such a way that it could result in a pass interference penalty, or, nobody could catch the ball.  Guy just doesn’t make many mistakes that’s for sure, and he gets the refs affection/attention.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash