December 16, 2018, 02:26:12 AM

Author Topic: Backup QB  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
Backup QB
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »
I think that it is a definite possibility that GB changes philosophy and brings in a UFA vet QB at least to compete with Hundley next year, if not outright replace him before offseason workouts. (I don't want this to be a topic about Hundley) 
Which free agent QB do you want as backup next year?  Here is a list of QB's that Spotrac has as available.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/
Keep it realistic - I don't think Brees, Cousins, Garoppolo or Bridewater are available and Bradford will probably be looking for a starter gig as might Keenum depending on what the Vikings do.

Do you think that they might try to bring Tolzien in?

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
Re: Backup QB
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
Any Journeyman FA aka not good enough to be a full time starter but could win more games than Hundley.
Draft for a 3rd Stringer:  Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph
Surprise Draft for a 3rd Stringer: Josh Allen if he falls (Pipe Dream).

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
I think we had our guy in Taysom Hill.

Now the saints have him.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »

Now the saints have him.
We did. Now we got to draft our next Hill and not cut and try to practice squid him. Realistically they have to start thinking about the team after Rodgers. Within the next few years he replacement needs to be in place.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
I think you're right. It's now a 5 year plan that has to have a defense that can hold the fort while the offense can manage to put-up points but not like they do now. So the Packers need a decent QB for the next three years and in two years a rookie that can take over. They may have to get one this draft when that promising QB falls to them. Like the kid from Western KY. Mike White.

Scouting Report: Mike White
2018 NFL Mock Draft
DraftGeek’s Mock Draft
School: Western Kentucky Position: Quarterback Class: Junior Height: 6-4 Weight: 225 lbs Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:
A rare blend of arm strength and accuracy, White has the chance to shoot up draft boards this season if he can continue to show consistency in Western Kentucky’s explosive offense. Has good size, and thus far his primary weapon has been his cannon arm that has shown surprising accuracy (57%+ completion rate of passes of 20+ yards). Didn’t start playing serious football until his senior year of high school, where he shined. He began his college career at South Florida, and then transferred to Western Kentucky. White had tremendous success for two years, and then the team took a substantial step back after a coaching change. An under the radar prospect, he could be a later riser on draft boards, as teams will discover that his best tape matches what they are looking for in an NFL QB.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
We did. Now we got to draft our next Hill and not cut and try to practice squid him. Realistically they have to start thinking about the team after Rodgers. Within the next few years he replacement needs to be in place.

I'm never going to understand this love affair with Hundley.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »

I'm never going to understand this love affair with Hundley.

When watching the pre-season Hundley was the worst QB the packers had. I think it was them trying to prove that their QB system works for everyone. Like pounding a square peg into a round hole.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »
How about trying to sign Brock Oswieler? He's an UFA, has bounced around the league (like Keenum and Foles), has played previously, had some success and could definitely give the Packers peace of mind if he was (hopefully never) pressed into service. Unfortunately, since the success of backups has shown how important they can be, his price might be steep. So, how much would he be worth? Would you be willing to pay him $5-7 million a year?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/brock-osweiler-9867/

To understand what that money could buy, think of backups on the OL, DB, LB, areas where injuries are unfortunately common.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
Since the salary cap for the entire team is one number, it's impossible to answer a question about the value of an individual without a spread sheet that covers the entire team and has limits for each position.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:53:45 PM »
How about trying to sign Brock Oswieler? He's an UFA, has bounced around the league (like Keenum and Foles), has played previously, had some success and could definitely give the Packers peace of mind if he was (hopefully never) pressed into service. Unfortunately, since the success of backups has shown how important they can be, his price might be steep. So, how much would he be worth? Would you be willing to pay him $5-7 million a year?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/brock-osweiler-9867/

To understand what that money could buy, think of backups on the OL, DB, LB, areas where injuries are unfortunately common.

You don't really even need money to improve up what Hundley did. He has the talent to run a college offense, but not a minimal NFL offense. You don't have to have the most talented backups in the world but serviceable works, look at all the playoff teams this year. I'm pretty sure that a smarter QB with a stronger arm was flipping burgers or bagging groceries (Yes that was a Kurt Warner Reference) last fall. 

Hundley is a gum chewer (which is a sign of extreme nerves). Basically the Packers had the shakiest hand in the NFL with him out there. The time they invested in him was like training a coach, not a player. He might be a good coach if he goes that route. He is smart but not the guy you want on the field.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
I think that it is a definite possibility that GB changes philosophy and brings in a UFA vet QB at least to compete with Hundley next year, if not outright replace him before offseason workouts. (I don't want this to be a topic about Hundley) 
Which free agent QB do you want as backup next year?  Here is a list of QB's that Spotrac has as available.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/
Keep it realistic - I don't think Brees, Cousins, Garoppolo or Bridewater are available and Bradford will probably be looking for a starter gig as might Keenum depending on what the Vikings do.

Do you think that they might try to bring Tolzien in?

Throwing some UFA QB names out there:

Chad Henne
Drew Sranton
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Ryan Mallett
Matt Moore
Chase Daniels
Blaine Gabbert
TJ Yates
Matt Barkley

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »

Now the saints have him.

Call it what it is, an absolute piss poor player evaluation.  3 years of Hundley and they couldnt tell he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past 15 yards?  Need to do better than that from a player evaluation standpoint.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
Call it what it is, an absolute piss poor player evaluation.  3 years of Hundley and they couldnt tell he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past 15 yards?  Need to do better than that from a player evaluation standpoint.

Well, I'm famous for loving conspiracy theories. Aaron gets hurt. McCarthy thinks, "ok, high draft pick, and my chance to get rid of Thompson who simply won't get me the players I need."

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:05 PM »

Well, I'm famous for loving conspiracy theories. Aaron gets hurt. McCarthy thinks, "ok, high draft pick, and my chance to get rid of Thompson who simply won't get me the players I need."

Certainly not outside the realm of possibility.  I liked Hill a lot also.  So much so that I was holding my breath when he was let go, hoping to God he’d clear waivers and get picked back up.  Was very disappointed he got picked by the Saints.  He was a gamer, and I trust he could/can move an offense better than Hundley.  I realize I’m saying that with limited tape on Hill - just a gut feeling.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »
I'm all for rolling with a rookie FA. Someone like:
Luke Falk            Washington St.
Riley Ferguson     Memphis
Nic Shimonek       Iowa

Any QB whose arm is at least not a limp noodle, one that can read the field, put the ball here it needs to be, and has some sense of movement within the pocket, will do fine.

Veterans that are available don't do much for me. Use a later draft pick this year (or rookie FA), keep for 4 years if any good, then (best scenario) trade or release for a future draft pick.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"