November 20, 2018, 04:39:24 PM

Author Topic: Revis available  (Read 16110 times)

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: Revis available
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »
Obviously he's a great player, but he's kind of guy who will take a $50 million up front signing bonus and then complain the next year that his base salary is too low.   

This.  This is why I wouldn't do it.  The guy is one greedy SOB.

I think he is to and to make it worse, if we did sign him for a good amount of money I think he would not honor the contract if he started to play well. Sort of like what T. Owens pulled with the Eagles.

He is a shutdown corner though..... Straight up, the kid has a ton of talent. It would be hard to sign him if he we got the chance......

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
Been thinking on this. Actually thought his salary cap number would be higher than it is. If you basically trade Woodson's number for Revis, it's seems like a wash.

If this was a year back, would think hard about doing it. But our young Secondary is coming on strong. Shields took another step forward, Hayward looks like a star in the making of his own right. Then we have House coming back in the wings.

Have to ask ourselves, was our Secondary the defensive problem this year? I don't think it really was.

What we were missing was Bishop, Jenkins, and Collins. At least we get one of the 3 back this year.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
It wasn't the problem last year.
But it was a problem in the San Fran game.  I'm pointing the finger squarely at Tramon Williams.  If you take on Revis, you probably get rid of Williams.  There really isn't much room for both, on the field, or under the cap.

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss the possibility.  Afterall the last time TT spent big on a free agent it was a CB. 

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay, though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21612943/gold-rush-forming-for-possible-revis-trade

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »
league sources =  Neil Schwartz, Revis's agent
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss the possibility.  Afterall the last time TT spent big on a free agent it was a CB. 

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay, though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21612943/gold-rush-forming-for-possible-revis-trade

It appears me too! I was just going to pst the same thing...you beat me to it.... :D

So..Thompson who doesn't hardly get his toes wet in free agency, might be in the bidding for Revis and willing to part with a high draft pick? The thinking is the Jets won't get a 1st and 2nd, but most likely a second round pick and maybe a player.......now which player would TT part with???? Williams, Hawk, etc????

Revis with the young corps would make for the best secondary in the NFL and would mean the end of Woodson's days here at the salary Woodson is getting. Would basically be giving Woodson's money to a younger Revis.....if this happens.

CBS is saying this is very similar to when Reggie White was becoming available and there are a bunch of teams lined up....but some of them are Jet rivals and they wouldn't trade Revis to one of them.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »

It appears me too! I was just going to pst the same thing...you beat me to it.... :D

So..Thompson who doesn't hardly get his toes wet in free agency, might be in the bidding for Revis and willing to part with a high draft pick? The thinking is the Jets won't get a 1st and 2nd, but most likely a second round pick and maybe a player.......now which player would TT part with???? Williams, Hawk, etc????

Revis with the young corps would make for the best secondary in the NFL and would mean the end of Woodson's days here at the salary Woodson is getting. Would basically be giving Woodson's money to a younger Revis.....if this happens.

CBS is saying this is very similar to when Reggie White was becoming available and there are a bunch of teams lined up....but some of them are Jet rivals and they wouldn't trade Revis to one of them.

His salary plus bonus money is not an issue, only $6M in 2013 . To your point Woodson $$  The issue in dealing for him is that 2014 - 2016 are voidable years so you would have to extend him at the same time you need to extend Rodgers, Matthews, Raji. 

Translation  ==  not happening
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:22:19 AM by Packinatl »

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »

His salary plus bonus money is not an issue, only $9M in 2013 . To your point Woodson $$  The issue in dealing for him is that 2014 - 2016 are voidable years so you would have to extend him at the same time you need to extend Rodgers, Matthews, Raji. 

Translation  ==  not happening

We all know Revis isn't coming to Green Bay.  I just want to fantasize about it for a little while.   ;)

As for Woodson, I think I would just cut him regardless.  People are saying bring him back at a reduced salary, but I don't think he anything more to give, at least on the football field.  He was invisible this year before his injury and he won't be any younger next year.  He's maybe my favorite Packer player, but I think he's done. 

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
Yep..he is not coming to GB.  I always get a good laugh out of these so called "league sources"  It is in reality an agent trying to create buzz and a market for his client. 

Reality:  Revis is in the last year of his deal, he will void his deal after 2013, Jets wont extend him and he wants a long term deal.  So as an agent, plant that team x, y and z are interested and create a market.  At $6m this year he is a bargain so they are in no hurry to trade him and if they do they will be asking for Manhattan & the lower East side of NY. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:34:05 AM by Packinatl »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
From what I've read his cap # for 2013 is $9mm... Woodson will restructure or he is cut. No way they pay him the $9.7mm he is due. Those salaries become a wash and Woodson's new deal takes Hawks money when he is cut.
No way TT keeps Woodson over Hawk. He certainly won't cut a leading tackler on the D in favor of a  over the hill CB/Safety.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »

This comes as no shock to me.  (Regardless of who the "source" is.)
I'm sure that TT is doing his due dilligence on the player, just like he does on every player who is available.
And ultimately, we know what TT does and does not do.  This would fall under the "does not do" category.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »

This comes as no shock to me.  (Regardless of who the "source" is.)
I'm sure that TT is doing his due dilligence on the player, just like he does on every player who is available.
And ultimately, we know what TT does and does not do.  This would fall under the "does not do" category.

Normally and 99% time yes, would agree on that. Packinatl makes a good point of why he wouldn't also.

However, we are in Rodgers prime years now and we all saw how the organization wasted those prime years of Favre. So this maybe has a chance. With Woodson maybe done and Williams not his old self, I'd say this is possible...though maybe not probable.....it still has a chance however slim.

I remember thinking no way we would get Reggie White or get Keith Jackson to actually come to GB, but we did. Revis is being compared to White in terms of impact and what he does. It might mean the end of both Williams and Woodson, but would be worth it imo......

Online B

• HOF Member
Woodson's Replacement: Ted Thompson reportedly interested in trading for Revis
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
According to Mike Freeman of CBS Sports one team whose name is constantly mentioned as being interested in acquiring Darrelle Revis by league sources is the Green Bay Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports...

One NFL general manager called the trade interest in Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis “one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever.” He likened the growing interest in Revis to when Reggie White was leaving Philadelphia as a free agent or the Peyton Manning sweepstakes last year. That, basically, says it all about what's happening with Revis.

The possibility of a Revis trade, first reported by CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, is no longer just a possibility, according to a variety of sources. The Jets are strongly leaning toward the trade and teams are considering giving up significant capital to get him.

"There's a Revis gold rush forming,” said a general manager.

Sources say one of the teams highly interested is the New England Patriots, but not even the Jets, who have made some screwy decisions over the years, would trade Revis to the division-rival Patriots and, in the process, hand them a Super Bowl.

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game...

Now, I have to admit, I doubt seriously that Ted Thompson will be able to pony up what it will take if this turns into any type of bidding war, but to me discussing a reported possibility of a trade for a premier the time All Pro cornerback beats the Hell out of instead beating the Lynch trade that wasn't dead horse... twocents)
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
The thread title says that Thompson is reportedly interested, but the article never mentions Thompson or the Packers...  Regardless, I have no interest in this trade.  Even if we could get him for a song and a dance, he's going to price himself right out of Green Bay and probably make himself a huge pain in the ass in the process.