September 25, 2018, 10:18:33 PM

Author Topic: Revis available  (Read 16024 times)

grabthar

Won't happen. Just like the Randy Moss trade, Marshawn Lynch trade, Tony Gonzalez trade, and any other big name players. They won't be coming to GB.  Thompson won't sign a top end free agent and he won't trade for top end talent. That's just the way it is.

Online B

• HOF Member
The thread title says that Thompson is reportedly interested, but the article never mentions Thompson or the Packers...  Regardless, I have no interest in this trade.  Even if we could get him for a song and a dance, he's going to price himself right out of Green Bay and probably make himself a huge pain in the ass in the process.

Reread the first line. Green Bay is certainly named - as the team whose name comes up most frequently.

Won't happen. Just like the Randy Moss trade, Marshawn Lynch trade, Tony Gonzalez trade, and any other big name players. They won't be coming to GB.  Thompson won't sign a top end free agent and he won't trade for top end talent. That's just the way it is.

I think you are likely right grabthar
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
The thread title says that Thompson is reportedly interested, but the article never mentions Thompson or the Packers...  Regardless, I have no interest in this trade.  Even if we could get him for a song and a dance, he's going to price himself right out of Green Bay and probably make himself a huge pain in the ass in the process.

Reread the first line. Green Bay is certainly named - as the team whose name comes up most frequently.

My bad.  I assumed that line belonged to you, since the balance of the article never mentioned Green Bay in relation to the interested teams.

Antonio Andolini

I don't like trading for an elite talent because you have to give up too much in return. Look at what the Bears gave up to get Cutler. Not having those picks has cost them depth and young, ascending, affordable players that are necessary in todays NFL.

Online B

• HOF Member
already a thread on this

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php?topic=713.0

Actually that is a NFL thread that is related to the Jets shopping him.

This thread is about a story today by a mainstream sports writer who claims he has heard the Packers name come up as interested frequently by multiple credible sources. It also links the idea that Ted who plunged into free agency to sign Woodson, could (though I doubt it) decide to make the big investment in getting a great CB for this defense.
-Vince Lombardi

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Revis available
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
I don't think this is all that farfetched.

If you let Woodson go, and trade them Tramon Williams and a draft pick, its possible.

And if that is what is takes, I would do it.

If he is healthy, Revis is the best CB in the NFL right now.  He is so good that you don't have to double or rotate toward him for anyone.

If we had Revis, Hayward and House, we are set for awhile.  Let us not forget, we got both Marshall and Johnson in our division.  ANd you can just about predict that the Vikes will draft a WR number one.

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
Revis signed a 4 yr $46 mil contract. He will have played out the entire contract by the end of '13. This means that he was paid  an average of $11.5 mil/yr making him the highest paid CB in the league over that time. That wasn't good enough for him, each of the last two years he has complained about his contract and threatened to hold out. Oh and by the way, he didn't even have to play out his entire rookie contract, with 2 years left on his contract he held out to get his current deal. If we trade for this guy and give him a new contract that makes him still one of the highest paid CBs in the league, I guarantee that 2 things will happen. First, he will complain about his contract/threaten to hold out sometime in the next few years. Secondly a more destructive thing will happen, he will have taught our young players that this is the most effective way to do business and get what you want. If Hayward has another really good season next year, does anybody want him holding out to get $12 mil/yr instead of playing out the last 2 years of his rookie deal? A key part of our draft and develop philosophy is that the young players are affordable for at least 4 years which allows us to pay the best of these home grown players top dollar once their rookie contracts have run out.

Offline Crease Creature

• Rookie
  • When you say WIS-CON-SIN, you've said it all!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
What if we only had Revis for this next season? No one seems to be talking about that.

Of course, you see what the Jets want for him, and then what they'll really take, like a 2nd and 5th, or 3rd and a player, and then just have him for this season knowing you probably won't resign him to his next deal. If he's healthy and can play, he should play very well. He's going to be in a contract year...
Go Pack,
and ON Wisconsin

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
He had deals in place for Moss and Gonzalez so your claim is a myth.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online B

• HOF Member
He had deals in place for Moss and Gonzalez so your claim is a myth.

Not exactly. I think the truth and mythology lies somewhere in between both your statements. Ted Thompson, like any competent looks at all the possibilities and explores all of them. He pursues or not, bids and stops where he thinks the value is for his football team.

While he may have gotten into the talking stage on Moss and Gonzalez (perhaps even Lynch), and even gotten hopeful, he did not have deals in place. Tiptoeing up to the edge is not the same as getting into the water. If the deal was in place you would have seen them wearing Green and Gold.

The truth also lies in your definitions. I find it hard to believe that one does not consider Woodson or Pickett top end talent, but if your definition is they got their king's ransom met in the first hours or day of free agency in a bidding war, then grabthar is correct. 
-Vince Lombardi

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
IDK if you package in Tramon Williams, a 2nd round pick, and tag n trade Jennings it could be done. Hell give em Sam Shields too. This would probably make it not much of a loss in terms of salary cap. I would guess it would be close to even.

I think we all know what "interested" means in the dictionary when it comes to TT. He's probably just toying with the idea, and not actually even close to hell bent on making the trade.

EDIT: Oh yea and dump Woodson and this would probably be a cap friendly trade.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:22:03 AM by claymaker »

Offline GBP4EVER

• HOF Member
Ok Revis is going to be look to be paid big time again. He is a UFA after next season and can't be tagged. With Raji, Matthews,  Rodgers, Jones, Nelson all due up in the next couple years how could the Packers afford Revis?

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Ok Revis is going to be look to be paid big time again. He is a UFA after next season and can't be tagged. With Raji, Matthews,  Rodgers, Jones, Nelson all due up in the next couple years how could the Packers afford Revis?

Yup. +revis = -raji. This is the math of the salary cap.

Unless you view Revis as a one year lease. Then +revis = -(woodson+hawk).

Tanstaafl.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:58:54 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
already a thread on this

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php?topic=713.0

Actually that is a NFL thread that is related to the Jets shopping him.

Well excuse me since the same article was referenced in the other thread
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »
Revis signed a 4 yr $46 mil contract. He will have played out the entire contract by the end of '13. This means that he was paid  an average of $11.5 mil/yr making him the highest paid CB in the league over that time. That wasn't good enough for him, each of the last two years he has complained about his contract and threatened to hold out. Oh and by the way, he didn't even have to play out his entire rookie contract, with 2 years left on his contract he held out to get his current deal. If we trade for this guy and give him a new contract that makes him still one of the highest paid CBs in the league, I guarantee that 2 things will happen. First, he will complain about his contract/threaten to hold out sometime in the next few years. Secondly a more destructive thing will happen, he will have taught our young players that this is the most effective way to do business and get what you want. If Hayward has another really good season next year, does anybody want him holding out to get $12 mil/yr instead of playing out the last 2 years of his rookie deal? A key part of our draft and develop philosophy is that the young players are affordable for at least 4 years which allows us to pay the best of these home grown players top dollar once their rookie contracts have run out.

FWIW, Hayward can't hold out until after the 2014 season.  The new CBA forbids any changes to contracts until after a players 3rd season.  So he'll be cheap for at least 2 more years.  I actually call it the "Revis rule", because I think what he did with his holdout was the reason for that rule.  His holdout was after 3 years, but I think owners wanted to nip it in the bud before it got out of control.