October 16, 2019, 11:11:42 PM

Author Topic: Revis available  (Read 17237 times)

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
Revis available
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
Report: Darelle Revis is available for trade

Jets owner Woody Johnson is reportedly interested in trading the team’s most valuable asset, cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Johnson has expressed a desire to trade Revis, Jason La Canfora of CBS reports. La Canfora attributes the report to unnamed sources with knowledge of the situation. It’s possible that Johnson floated the idea in conversations with prospective general managers during the search that ultimately led to the Jets hiring John Idzik.

Revis is owed $6 million this year, which is a good deal if Revis is healthy and back to being the NFL’s best cornerback. But it’s Johnson could be worried that Revis will struggle to regain his old form in his recovery from a torn ACL. And La Canfora also reports that Johnson thinks Revis is going to want a lot more money after the 2013 season, when he can become an unrestricted free agent, and that the Jets might be better off getting something for him now than getting nothing for him a year from now.

If the Jets are resigning themselves to the idea that it will take a full year to fix the mess that was the 2012 season, then trading Revis could be the way to begin the rebuilding.
a - is Revis recovered from the ACL?
b - would you want him in GB?
c - what would you give for him?

Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
Re: Revis available
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »
a-I don't know
b-no
c-nothing

Obviously he's a great player, but he's kind of guy who will take a $50 million up front signing bonus and then complain the next year that his base salary is too low.   

I think the Packers have good corners, and they won't destroy our salary cap. 

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »
a) I don't know, but I'd venture a guess that he will be back and just fine. (See Peterson, Adrian)
b) Absoutely, in a heartbeat.
c) I'll give them Tramon Williams and our third round pick.

When you have the opportunity to get an elite talent, you do it.  They get a good corner who is under contract.  We get a great corner with attitude/contract issues.  Before I do the deal, I'm getting a new deal in line for him, probably at the expense of Finley and Woodson.  Maybe even at the expense of Jennings.

Reasons for doing this? 

1) Divsion WR's, Marshall and Megatron. (All hail Megatron?)  So when this deal goes down, Revis's new nickname is Optimus.
2) We had no clue against the read option.  One of the issues with that play is that if you commit a safety to stop the dive or QB run, you are manning up your corners with maybe one safety deep.  Revis takes away half the field and allows you to allocate that safety at the LOS.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
I think I would pass.  We don't know what he will be like after the injury and the thought of making a heavy investment in a guy that is coming back from a serious injury doesn't not interest me.

With the Packers injury history of late, they should stay clear of this guy.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »
c) I'll give them Tramon Williams and our third round pick.
He is more physical than TW.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
After reading Florio, seems like a player of Williams caliber AND a third round pick would be too high for him at this point.  Just for what it is worth....

And the cap hits make it unlikely as well.

But that wasn't the question posed.  So I stand by my post of going out and getting him. 

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »
TT was supposedly really high on Revis and was set to draft him before the Jets nabbed him.  Instead we ended up with Harrell, if I recall correctly.

Maybe TT would look at this as an opportunity to right a wrong from the past.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
I think if we pose the question of WWTTD, (What Would Ted Thompson Do), the answer is a simple one.  Pass.

I think you are right, he did covet Revis.  But we were also told that he really liked Mario Williams and Reggie Bush.  He could have had either one of those guys if he wanted them badly enough when they moved teams.  At the end of the day, TT is all about the $.  And make no mistake, getting Revis would cost us something in terms of players, picks or both.  Then you have to deal with his contract demands.  TT just doesn't operate that way.  Thankfully....

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Obviously he's a great player, but he's kind of guy who will take a $50 million up front signing bonus and then complain the next year that his base salary is too low.   

This.  This is why I wouldn't do it.  The guy is one greedy SOB.

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

This.  This is why I wouldn't do it.  The guy is one greedy SOB.

Greedy and clueless. Did he really think his signature was worthy $15 mil and he only got paid $3 mil for his on field contributions. He has averaged the highest pay at his position over the length of his contract and he is playing out the entire deal.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
I think if we pose the question of WWTTD, (What Would Ted Thompson Do), the answer is a simple one.  Pass.

I think you are right, he did covet Revis.  But we were also told that he really liked Mario Williams and Reggie Bush.  He could have had either one of those guys if he wanted them badly enough when they moved teams.  At the end of the day, TT is all about the $.  And make no mistake, getting Revis would cost us something in terms of players, picks or both.  Then you have to deal with his contract demands.  TT just doesn't operate that way.  Thankfully....

Agreed. Even if he liked Reevis coming out of the draft I don't see him getting anywhere near that mess. Not his style. Not to mention a move like that failing would kill the cap for us. When you take into account the resignings we need to do that is way too much money to shell out on a position we are good at.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »
Boy you can't just discount it out of hand.

The guy was shut down.

Think Revis will get a luke warm reception.

If I were TT just sit back and wait.  See what happens.

No takers maybe he offers a 3 with a deal in place before hand.

$$$ have to be right.  Possible Jets cut him outright try to clear some cap room.

Depends really on his recovery.

ACL's are a bitch especially for corners who rely on speed.

Tough deal and likely he won't be a Packer but hey got to at least do your due diligence.

Usually a 2 year injury so probably be just average next year.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:14:51 PM by scoremore »

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
I can't imagine the Jets would let him go for less than a 1st and a 3rd. A lot of 1st rd CBs don't have half of his ability. Something to consider is that the Jets actually have to work hard to sell tickets. Schlereth made a good point today saying that Revis is the only player on the team that people would pay to see.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
From what I've read his cap # for 2013 is $9mm... Woodson will restructure or he is cut. No way they pay him the $9.7mm he is due. Those salaries become a wash and Woodson's new deal takes Hawks money when he is cut.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:01:00 AM »
No.

If you sign Revis you have to give up Matthews or Rodgers, and you somehow get all 3 then you would crippling your salary cap. Both are better players than Revis imo.  As well as limiting the amount of "good" players: Pickett, Burnett, Sheilds, Hayward, Cobb, Nelson, and Woodson.