June 24, 2018, 03:36:57 PM

Author Topic: Who do you think can bounce back? (DEFENSE)  (Read 1298 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Who do you think can bounce back? (DEFENSE)
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
Who do you think will bounce back or make a big jump next year on defense?

Personally for me:

Bounce back: Quinten Rollins and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Big jump: Josh Jones and Vince Biegel

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Who do you think can bounce back? (DEFENSE)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
We need Clay to return to form.

We also need all of our DBs to improve.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
I'm hoping for Cobb to have a good year in 2018.

For stepping up, I'd at to WTXcheese's choices, Montravius Adams, Jermaine Whitehead and Reggie Gilbert
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »
I think Randall can come back and be a decent DB with a new scheme and a fresh start. 

As far as Matthews, I think when he signed his contract he went off the juice, and has been marginal ever since.  Can he get back to form?  I think we'll be able to tell.  JMO.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
Think HaHa will bounce back to some degree. 

Think Jones and King will both be better. 

would be fun if Adams improved enough to be useful. 

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:04 AM »
The thing is that the major issue was the DB's being put out of position on almost every play. Now it appears that the idea of allowing a 5 to 10 yard cushion is gone. Other than the alignment of a OLB at times this is pretty much the same defense with a different pass protection.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:00:39 AM »
The defense and Oline need to get better. HHCD has to have a better season than last year. It started early for him and he never was the player that performed in previous years. JJ should be better with another year under his belt. CMIII and Perry have to stay healthy and one additional guy to step up and provide relief for that position. The CBs with King 90-100% and Randall with others should be OK if the pressure situation is applied during the game.he better
The Oline needs a healthy RT, and a back-up tackle as well. If Spriggs is the guy, this is the year he shows it. My guess is that Murphy will start and player to be named later his back-up until Bulaga is healthy. I don't think Spriggs is a bust...just think he's going to need more seasoning then most players.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
I'm not sure Matthews will ever truly bounce back. Perry has the opportunity to do so.

I'll go with Kevin King.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
Morgan Burnett will have to bounce to another team.  Don't see Packers signing him.

Offline SKOLmeansNEXTyear

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »
Josh Jones has nowhere to go but up.
HaHa is in a contract year, he will play like an all pro.
Perry will be better as well next year because he cant be much worse.
King looked the part in a few plays and I think can at least be a number two corner.
Matthews could dominate as a rotational pass rusher.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:28:12 AM »
King is more like the corner that is needed for the new defense. More aggressive at the line. They need a couple more like him. Aggressive is good. Aggressive and taller is better.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Matthews can no longer dominate off the edge. He has lost the capacity to convert speed-to-power and is in essence a one-trick-pony as a speed (only) pass rusher. He belongs back at ILB where he can still utilize his remaining speed and veteran savy to diagnose and chase down plays horizontally while still possessing the ability to shoot gaps to rush the QB and disrupt the backfield. If he's staying..............that's where he belongs.

Word on King is that his surgery was successful and he should be fine. I look forward to him being able to play the aggressive style he wants to, but could not in 2017 because of his shoulder.

I think BG should utilize both FA and the draft to strengthen the CB position. Bringing back House on a deal similar to his 2017 deal wouldn't be a bad idea, or dipping into FA for a mid-level FA like Rashaan Melvin (Colts) could bring that veteran leadership that is lacking at CB. Then draft a CB like Carlton Davis (Auburn) on day 2 of the draft.

My guess (only a guess) is that Pettine will play mostly press-man coverage and will sprinkle in a little cover-2. Players like King-House-Melvin-Davis fit that mix to a "T".

If Burnett leaves (and he likely will for a stupid big payday.......kudo's for him), Safety could be as big or a bigger issue than CB. Pettine wants his Safeties to be interchangeable and play both deep and in-the-box. Jones doesn't fit that description (yet). He was terrible in coverage last year. FA or the draft may have to make a visit to the Safety position as well.