June 24, 2018, 03:30:08 PM

Author Topic: Sam Shields Returning?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Sam Shields Returning?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
Sam Shields may be making a comeback to the NFL.  Not sure if the Packers have any interest, or if any team will look at him.  His concussion history might be too much.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Sam Shields Returning?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
30 years old. Severe concussion history. Had to take 2016 and 2017 off due to one hit. Possibly looking at long term brain damage, and the last team who plays him will take the blame. And if he's on your roster for game 1 you have to pay him for the whole year. Who signs a guy like this? I don't.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »
Cant argue with any of that.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »
Poor Sam.

He's kind of like this..................

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
I've seen this about Shields possible return in other sites. I agree with Mark...just can't fix that part of his body that's broken. It's guys like Shields that could find their ageing years in really bad health.
Would love to have him return, just don't see it.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:47 AM »
Think it's same for every team, and it's a medical eval, same as with Finley etc..  Yes, of course probably no. 

But the guaranteed salary wouldn't be much of an issue, presumably very small.  If a guy wants to try out for a vets-minimum contract, and come to camp and compete with Donatello and Hawkins and Pipkens for an 11th secondary spot, no problem budget-wise. 

Then I'd leave it up to the medical.  (Again, assuming they'd say no.) 

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
Poor Shields, he's already at risk for significant health issues later in life. If he keeps playing his brains would be oatmeal by the time he got to 50.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:13:43 AM »
There is precedent for this attempt. Nick Collins tried for several years to get a team interested in signing him after his neck injury. There were no takers. Shields will find the same reception from NFL front offices. He has the desire, but no team is going to sign him. Too bad, He was a great story, undone by physical limitations beyond his control.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
I'm not sure what his money situation is, but I'd be inclined to think some of these guys wouldn't want to come back so bad if they'd have invested more wisely at an earlier time.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm not sure what his money situation is, but I'd be inclined to think some of these guys wouldn't want to come back so bad if they'd have invested more wisely at an earlier time.

Agree, these guys learn to live a certain lifestyle, then the money stops.  the mansions, cars, boats, and traveling bills continue.   The key is getting as much money as you can while you can play and PLANNING a future after football.   Drinking out of the gold fountain is great, but once the water stops, you better have a plan.   Many don't.   

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
Agree, these guys learn to live a certain lifestyle, then the money stops.  the mansions, cars, boats, and traveling bills continue.   The key is getting as much money as you can while you can play and PLANNING a future after football.   Drinking out of the gold fountain is great, but once the water stops, you better have a plan.   Many don't.

They're drafted to run fast and hit hard, they're not drafted for their strategic thinking abilities. Most, I would say, are very much live-in-the-moment types. Of course that ends "badly," but no more badly than most of the people they grew up with. Except the rest didn't get their day in the sun.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
Is he bankrupt, or close to it? If so, please offer some evidence. I am well aware that a large number of players "live in the moment", but we're running on assumptions, not facts. And we all know what happens when we "assume". These guys are professionals, and this is the career they've been training for, for a long time. Its rare for a player to leave unless forced out. Peyton Manning and his neck injury, and Tony Romo and his multiple back injuries are prime examples of this kind of determination to stay in the game. These guys play with injuries that would have the average person laid up for days.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:33:52 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
In my opinion, losing an entire season to one concussion should qualify as being forced out.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »
The majority of players miss the game and would love to play again, but I think it is safe to say their is close to a zero percent chance that any team would give him a second of thought with his concussion history. Their will be no more Sam Shields in the NFL.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
The majority of players miss the game and would love to play again, but I think it is safe to say their is close to a zero percent chance that any team would give him a second of thought with his concussion history. Their will be no more Sam Shields in the NFL.

I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption RT.  Feel bad for Shields was a hell of a player but he's done.  No NFL team will touch him.