June 24, 2018, 03:38:43 PM

Author Topic: Have we seen peak NFL?  (Read 435 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: Have we seen peak NFL?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
I think it is. Mark Cuban predicted this in 2014 and most people thought he was either nuts or just jealous of the NFL's success. In my opinion TNF is one of the biggest culprits.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
A lot of it comes down to the excessive analysis and slowing down the game, and also the CBA in place puts a lesser product on the field than before. Injuries are up throughout the league, not just the Packers, and that also contributes to a watered down product. Add in the kneeling debacle and the concussion fear factor epidemic and you have a recipe for a large minority of viewers who aren't interested anymore.

Have we seen the peak? Yea, I think so. Will we see a decline large enough to threaten the stability of their model? No.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
A lot of it comes down to the excessive analysis and slowing down the game, and also the CBA in place puts a lesser product on the field than before. Injuries are up throughout the league, not just the Packers, and that also contributes to a watered down product. Add in the kneeling debacle and the concussion fear factor epidemic and you have a recipe for a large minority of viewers who aren't interested anymore.

Have we seen the peak? Yea, I think so. Will we see a decline large enough to threaten the stability of their model? No.

I'll add that they screwed up the draft as well by making it a prime time tv extravaganza and taking away the fan friendly draft parties that teams used to have at their facilities.

I used to go to Lambeau every year for the draft party when the 1st three rounds were on Saturday's. When they stopped doing that, I took that as an afront to NFL fans. It's not about the fans, it's about the money $$$, and their greed is beginning to come home to roost.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
I believe the late 90's had the perfect balance

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Why are parents turning against having their kids play football? Check out the video embedded in this link. It takes a few seconds to get going, and its a bit "arty", but also shows just how brutal the game can become. And of course, this was dismissed for decades as "getting his bell rung."

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/concussion-protocol-will-change-the-way-you-watch-football-forever.html
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
Why are parents turning against having their kids play football? Check out the video embedded in this link. It takes a few seconds to get going, and its a bit "arty", but also shows just how brutal the game can become. And of course, this was dismissed for decades as "getting his bell rung."

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/concussion-protocol-will-change-the-way-you-watch-football-forever.html

I believe that they are turning against kids playing football these days. I read something about this the other day. Some high schools are beginning to wonder if they will have enough kids to field a team.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:08 PM »
Then they better get ready for the demise of Hockey, La Crosse, and Soccer (Futball), since all those sports have connections to head trauma as well.

Heck, even basketball has it's moments with head trauma.

The one safe sport?