June 18, 2018, 08:11:24 AM

Author Topic: Top 10 Quarterbacks Worth Pursuing via Free Agency or Draft  (Read 461 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Top 10 Quarterbacks Worth Pursuing via Free Agency or Draft
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
By David Carr

1) Drew Brees, free agent
2) Kirk Cousins, free agent
3) Case Keenum, free agent
4) Josh Rosen, draft prospect
5) A.J. McCarron, free agent
6) Chase Daniel, free agent
7) Josh Allen, draft prospect
8) Sam Darnold, draft prospect
9) Baker Mayfield, draft prospect
10) Sam Bradford, free agent
11) Teddy Bridgewater, free agent (bonus, 'cause Brees isn't going anywhere.)
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Top 10 Quarterbacks Worth Pursuing via Free Agency or Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I take it that this list is intended only for teams that don't have a QB like AR already on their roster?

Having said that, I would be happy if GB signed a veteran backup like Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Ryan Mallett, or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

OR

I would also be happy with a D/D QB like Mike White, Riley Ferguson, Chas Litton, Kyle Lauletta, or Kurt Benkert.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
I take it that this list is intended only for teams that don't have a QB like AR already on their roster?

Having said that, I would be happy if GB signed a veteran backup like Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Ryan Mallett, or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

OR

I would also be happy with a D/D QB like Mike White, Riley Ferguson, Chas Litton, Kyle Lauletta, or Kurt Benkert.

Backup in GB? Brock Osweiler. What still would bother me with Cousins is the refusal of Washington to give him a contract, instead of franchising him. This is the team that knows him best. As someone on a sports call in show opined, Cousins produces good stats, but not wins. Would that change if, for erxample, he went to Denver? Maybe. But the Broncos recent run of QB acquisitions doesn't make me feel they really know how to evaluate QB talent.

Keenum? Interesting. Is he a one year wonder, or has the "light finally come on"? How many million would you be willing to bet its the former? And start at around $100 million. McCarron? Cleveland had been interested, but is the new GM, Dorsey, interested? If not, how likely would the owner be to try to push his agenda? Bradford and Bridgewater are both facing injury issues. The former much more serious doubts, because the guy simply can't be trusted to stay healthy for an entire year. So, do you try to sign Bridgewater to a one year "prove it" contract? If he does well, you face the same dilemma you have with Keenum- a fluke or a trend?

I am so, so happy the Packers don't have this problem. And, unless something catastrophic happens, won't have to face this conundrum for a few more years.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »

OR

Backup in GB? Brock Osweiler. What still would bother me with Cousins is the refusal of Washington to give him a contract, instead of franchising him. This is the team that knows him best. As someone on a sports call in show opined, Cousins produces good stats, but not wins. Would that change if, for erxample, he went to Denver? Maybe. But the Broncos recent run of QB acquisitions doesn't make me feel they really know how to evaluate QB talent.

Keenum? Interesting. Is he a one year wonder, or has the "light finally come on"? How many million would you be willing to bet its the former? And start at around $100 million. McCarron? Cleveland had been interested, but is the new GM, Dorsey, interested? If not, how likely would the owner be to try to push his agenda? Bradford and Bridgewater are both facing injury issues. The former much more serious doubts, because the guy simply can't be trusted to stay healthy for an entire year. So, do you try to sign Bridgewater to a one year "prove it" contract? If he does well, you face the same dilemma you have with Keenum- a fluke or a trend?

I am so, so happy the Packers don't have this problem. And, unless something catastrophic happens, won't have to face this conundrum for a few more years.

Kind of a mute point since WASH is acquiring Alex Smith. But if WASH had not done that, there was a chance they may have franchised him again http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/dont-count-out-third-straight-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins-and-heres-why , but it would have cost WASH around $34M against the 2018 cap. Even though the have >$48M in cap space, they also have 17 other UFA's to consider signing in addition to Cousins.
It's true, that Cousins hadn't taken them to the promised land. But WASH doesn't have the same caliber of skilled position players (WR's & RB's) that DEN does either. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:54:55 AM »
Falk           Washington St.
White         W.Kentucky
Ferguson     Memphis
Lauletta       Richmond

No vet QBs for the Packers. They go with a rookie again.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:37 AM »

Kind of a mute point since WASH is acquiring Alex Smith. But if WASH had not done that, there was a chance they may have franchised him again http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/dont-count-out-third-straight-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins-and-heres-why , but it would have cost WASH around $34M against the 2018 cap. Even though the have >$48M in cap space, they also have 17 other UFA's to consider signing in addition to Cousins.
It's true, that Cousins hadn't taken them to the promised land. But WASH doesn't have the same caliber of skilled position players (WR's & RB's) that DEN does either. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Nope, not a moot point at all. Why should Washington bring in an older QB and give him a big contract, rather than offer the younger QB they have franchised several times? Because they don't believe he is the answer to for their team. How can I say this? Because actions speak louder than words. SF believes they've found their QB, and rewarded him. NO will re-sign Brees, not franchise him.

Now, if the problem is not the QB, but the players surrounding him, why not sign the QB (if you believe in him), and then upgrade the other skill positions? Similar to what we expect to happen in GB. And what has happened in NO. Nope, Cousins is a stat QB, but not a winner. Rodgers, Brees and other top notch QBs elevate the play of those around them. Cousins doesn't. Now, this doesn't mean that some team will pay a lot of money for his services. That is a given. But is he worth it? Washington didn't think so. Which, to me, speaks volumes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »

OR

I may be wrong, but I think most NFL GM's would rate the Redskins skill position players as a group, a stronger group than the Broncos.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think most NFL GM's would rate the Redskins skill position players as a group, a stronger group than the Broncos.

Probably true. But, would the addition of Cousins make them immediate SB contenders? And again, if he is that much of a difference maker, why doesn't Washington invest in him and build the team around hhim? Why did they give a contract to an older QB who has not been a difference maker on the teams he has played on? If he (Cousins) was that good, he'd have gotten a contract in Washington. He didn't. And the thought of franchising him is a pipe dream, IMO. Guaranteeing him $34 million, and then hoping some team will offer them a package of players and/or picks for his services? That would be a huge gamble.

So, fellow posters, the questions are still unanswered: Why didn't Washington sign him to a long term contract and then build the team around him?  Why bring in an older QB who has not shown the ability to lead his teams to post-season success?