December 14, 2018, 04:24:44 PM

Author Topic: Would you trade Rodgers to Cleveland?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Would you trade Rodgers to Cleveland?
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »
First off before anyone loses their minds, their is very close to zero percent chance that either side would make this trade. But........... if the Browns offered their 2 1st round picks (1st and 4th overall) for Rodgers, would you make that deal? Remember that the Browns front office is now full of former Packers people and who knows the Packers players any better than they do. After getting over the original shock of such an idea, it would have some very highend potential for both sides.

The fantasy trade aside, I do expect to see some dealings between these two teams this offseason.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Would you trade Rodgers to Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »
So, what you're suggesting is trading a franchise QB, a guy who is one of the two best QBs in the league, and in the top 15-20 all time, for two unknown, unproven players? Um, no. I wouldn't do that. And as far as Cleveland never doing this deal, why not? They would get- well, I already pointed out what they would get. And what would they lose? Two possibles, with a probability of failure of those two picks being pretty high. Say somewhere north of 50% failure rate. Here is an article that delves into the issue: http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000346036

My question is, why do some people seem so eager to get rid of Rodgers? Was his loss last season for an extended period not proff that he is more important than any other player on the roster, much less a couple of guys who have not done anything in the NFL. This type of "thinking" just mystifies me. If you could expand on why this would be a good idea, other than "We'd (the Packers) would have three of the top fourteen draft choices" (which is pretty meaningless, IMO), why even contemplate this terrible, terrible deal?   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »
Only for both their firsts this year, next year's first, and their first in 2020.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
Wouldn't do it.  They would have to give us more than that.  Now a couple of considerations.  Is Rodgers going to come back 100%?  We also have a massive new contract to think about.  If Cleveland gave us their draft through the first 3 rounds that might give me pause.  2 1st, 3 2's, and 1 3rd.

The smart play is probably not to give Aaron a new contract yet.  Let him play out his existing contract and then tag and trade him for a boatload of picks in 2 years.  Pack won't do that either.  He'll become the highest paid player in the league sometime during next season and finish his career in GB. 

What worries me is if you pay one player such a significant portion of your cap it could be quite difficult to field a competitive roster.  We might be a perennial playoff team that never wins another Lombardi.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
Fir me ut would take multiple hogh picks in multiple years.  You dont replace Rodgers with 2 players.  It would require picks that would set this franchise up for years.  A Herschel Walker type hijacking if you will.  On the flipside, Rodgers contract will be unprecedented, not sure if theres ever been a QB taking that much % of cap space.  They'll have to work that all out, but it may not leave enough to field a decent team around him. Gute says he wants to be agressive in FA.  Rodgers contract may dampen some of that in a year or two.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
The idea that somehow Rodgers will be a liability to the team- that he might not return from the injury; that he'll take up too much cap space; that if only you could get enough draft picks, somehow the Packers would be "set up for years" is all very speculative. The Packers know whether AR is going to come back; if they're concerned, then we'll know when they franchise him, or drag their feet on a longer contract. Will he take up too much cap space? That why Russ Ball gets paid the big bucks. Besides, what is the alternative? What QB would you rather have? And how much would you have to pay them? Please spare me the "draft pick who will work for peanuts for years", as if those guys are a dime a dozen. If it was that easy, every team in the league would have a franchise QB. Finally, sure, trade him for a bunch of draft picks. And of course, they'll all work out to be great players who will all agree to "team friendly deals" when their rookie contracts expire. My gosh, you guys remind me of a guy who would dump Gisele Bundchen in return for a "really hot chicks" online dating site. Know what you have before you give it away for dreams and wishes. 

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
There is no QB I'd rather have right now.  However have to look at it from all angles.  He isn't going anywhere as long as he's under contract.  Most likely he'll finish his career in GB.  That big contract once it gets done will be a concern though.  Philly got it done with Foles.  Have to say he played a hell of a game.  More than one way to skin a cat.   As we have all seen there should be no discussion until we have a guy waiting in the wings.  We don't so really the point is mute.

Pack takes a QB in round 1 this year and develops him under Rodgers for a few years.  Tag and trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks.  It's another possible scenario but not generally how the Packers operate.  Aaron would be 37 at that time.   We end up with a new younger QB most likely not as good but we would have more cash for FA and some high draft picks to work with.  Just another possibility.

Aaron Rodgers is my all time most favorite Packers player.  Love the guy.  Sure the Packers do to.  He'll get paid big time by the Pack and finish his career with us.  Way I see it going down.  Always fun to look at different scenarios after all we have to have something to talk about during the offseason.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »
Fir me ut would take multiple hogh picks in multiple years. 

Holy smoke, I could have typed this with my toes and been more accurate.  Hunting and pecking on a cellphone is no fun.  Note to self:  Spell check is a great asset.   

Online WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »
No way in the world. He's the biggest reason we win games. No other QB we could reasonably acquire would be anywhere near his level.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
The reason I presented this question (scoremore touched on it) is that I wonder if the Packers have hit a plateau. Is it possible because of the QB play (and contract) that the rest of the roster never gains enough bluechip, differance making talent to get over the top.

Look at the final 4 teams this year, 3 of the teams QB's were Bortles, Foles and Keenum. The one thing those 3 teams had was playmakers on both sides of the ball throughout their rosters gained by several years of high draft choices. Great QB's win a lot of games in the regular season, but teams with the best defenses still win championships.

Now trading Rodgers is in all likilihood not going to happen anytime soon. A first year GM would crap himself at the thought of being the guy who traded Rodgers. Their is still many who hold it against TT for trading Favre. But what if the Packers would have traded Favre a couple of years earlier then they did? Could that windfall have had propelled the Rodgers era to multiple Super Bowls? Rodgers turns 35 this year and the number of good seasons left in that body are very few. 3 to 5? Those thinking more are in a pipedream, with his style of play and what makes him great may lead to him never playing a full season again.

The Cleveland picks would be the only package that could make it an interesting scenario to ponder. But in takes two to tango and I don't think for a second that either partner would step on the dancefloor. Cleveland has a loaded hand and a chance to build a powerhouse for the next 10 years. IMO, I don't think they would give up those assets to rent an aging QB for a couple of years, they have much bigger plans. As for the Packers, they will continue to play the hand they have. Hope they can stay healthy and strike a little gold in the draft and ride a perfect storm to another title. The one good thing for Packers fans is if they have a healthy Rodgers they will always have a punchers chance.   

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
No

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »
Is Rodgers next? ;D

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
Is Rodgers next? ;D

Richard Rodgers? Possibly. Aaron?  crazy)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
10 months ago most thought this was an unthinkable idea, now after he has signed his new contract it is close to impossible to trade him. Knowing what people now know, would you have traded Rodgers before the draft this past year? The market would of been at an all time high then, now it would be financial suicide and his value is nothing close to last off season. As I stated on another thread the trade Rodgers ship has sailed, that trade could of set the Packers up for the next 10 years again.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 06:54:28 PM »
10 months ago most thought this was an unthinkable idea, now after he has signed his new contract it is close to impossible to trade him. Knowing what people now know, would you have traded Rodgers before the draft this past year? The market would of been at an all time high then, now it would be financial suicide and his value is nothing close to last off season. As I stated on another thread the trade Rodgers ship has sailed, that trade could of set the Packers up for the next 10 years again.
shos

At the time I thought the idea was nuts. Now? Maybe that would have been best. Sure, there would have been growing pains, but Gutekunst with his first draft was pretty impressive, at least so far. So, it would have taken huge balls of huge brass to do this. Instead, the Packers have Rodgers, and a new HC coming in who could well be the next incarnation of Mike Sherman- someone who will cater to AR as Sherman did to Favre. Only there is no new Rodgers waiting in the wings. Well, that boat has sailed, and unless the team is willing to take a huge cap hit, they are tied to AR for the next four years or so.