December 10, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Author Topic: Would you trade Rodgers to Cleveland?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
Re: Would you trade Rodgers to Cleveland?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
10 months ago most thought this was an unthinkable idea, now after he has signed his new contract it is close to impossible to trade him. Knowing what people now know, would you have traded Rodgers before the draft this past year? The market would of been at an all time high then, now it would be financial suicide and his value is nothing close to last off season. As I stated on another thread the trade Rodgers ship has sailed, that trade could of set the Packers up for the next 10 years again.

Mayfield and Ward for Rodgers? Not a chance. I'd rather win another SB with Rodgers within the next 4 years and have a better QB than Mayfield waiting in the wings when he's ready to move on. I think some of all the horrible clickbait drama is getting to even some of the best posters. Remember, the outside media wants so bad for GB to fall into the dark ages.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
10 months ago most thought this was an unthinkable idea, now after he has signed his new contract it is close to impossible to trade him. Knowing what people now know, would you have traded Rodgers before the draft this past year? The market would of been at an all time high then, now it would be financial suicide and his value is nothing close to last off season. As I stated on another thread the trade Rodgers ship has sailed, that trade could of set the Packers up for the next 10 years again.

Mayfield and Ward for Rodgers? Not a chance. I'd rather win another SB with Rodgers within the next 4 years and have a better QB than Mayfield waiting in the wings when he's ready to move on. I think some of all the horrible clickbait drama is getting to even some of the best posters. Remember, the outside media wants so bad for GB to fall into the dark ages.

My point was not Mayfield and Ward for Rodgers. When I suggested this as something that should be considered it was February and the final picks and  players were yet to be determined. Remember that the Jets and Bills both traded up after that, it was very possible to turn those picks into many and possibly some future ones also. I brought this back up because their seems to be a little ground swell about trading him this off season and to point out that last year was the time to move him if they ever did, not now. The time to sell is at the high, not at the low.   

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
 Sorry if I came off a bit abrasive, very frustrated at almost all the reporting I have read and watched recently. Holes in pretty much everything. It's not time to go into rebuild mode and go into the dark ages trying to find that franchise QB. Gute can add a few pieces and we will be in the race again. Sure some teams have stacked rosters and have created nice 2-3 years windows to compete. Other than that, every team has holes, especially if they are paying an elite QB.

The league has become much more competitive in recent years with better coaches, larger pools of players coming out of the draft and better GM's. That's why we're seeing good players hit FA in the last couple years unlike in much of the days of TT. Let's not forget it's on another difficulty level doing it in a small cold weather town as had been said in years past. That also may be the reason we saw so many good teams have bad years this past season. Much smaller margin for errors.

I think we can get back to playing at a high level next year and win another SB within 4 years. So sick of reading ''But the Patriots did it''. They don't count to me and they can keep all that troll stuff in the media.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 09:30:24 AM »
Sorry if I came off a bit abrasive, very frustrated at almost all the reporting I have read and watched recently. Holes in pretty much everything. It's not time to go into rebuild mode and go into the dark ages trying to find that franchise QB. Gute can add a few pieces and we will be in the race again. Sure some teams have stacked rosters and have created nice 2-3 years windows to compete. Other than that, every team has holes, especially if they are paying an elite QB.

The league has become much more competitive in recent years with better coaches, larger pools of players coming out of the draft and better GM's. That's why we're seeing good players hit FA in the last couple years unlike in much of the days of TT. Let's not forget it's on another difficulty level doing it in a small cold weather town as had been said in years past. That also may be the reason we saw so many good teams have bad years this past season. Much smaller margin for errors.

I think we can get back to playing at a high level next year and win another SB within 4 years. So sick of reading ''But the Patriots did it''. They don't count to me and they can keep all that troll stuff in the media.

That is a hell of a post SET4YRS. It is refreshing to see someone actually with a finger on the pulse of what is going on and not just being irrational and filled with delusion. Nicely done.

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
 Thanks RT, and I understand why many posters are negative as they have a right to their opinion. I watch the games and get mad about a lot of the same stuff people gripe about. This is nothing compared to the negativity back in the end of the Sherman days.

And just a taste of how I see a lot of this reporting for you. Greg Jennings was chirping about how they weren't getting their play makers the ball and it was the same way when he was still playing in GB. Jordy, Jones, Finley and Cobb weren't play makers? C'mon man thumbsdwn)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »

10 months ago? No. Now? No.

Why not 10 months ago? Because the 2018 draft didn't have the next Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck in it. It had Saquon Barkley and Bradley Chubb/Denzel Ward.

Why not now? Because this is a young team and supplanting Rodgers means not just a rebuild but now you have to wait for your QB to develop. By the time that QB develops the window you would of had with Rodgers isn't there.

Post hoc reasoning is rarely helpful. Do you really believe the Packers have a better shot at winning a Superbowl in the next 5 years with Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb/Denzel Ward, and a journeyman QB? Or even if they decided to draft Mayfield or Darnold?

People have made it clear they will not be satisfied with 10 years of successful football. They'll trade a decade worth of division championships and deep playoff runs for a single Superbowl title. The goal is to win Superbowls. You do not win Superbowls by trading away a player like Aaron Rodgers.

Let us examine what we know. We know Aaron Rodgers is capable of producing an MVP worthy season and carrying this team to the playoffs. We know they have a talented RB named Aaron Jones who can take some of the weight off Rodgers' shoulders and be a playmaker. We know they have one the best LTs in the NFL, David Bahktiari, who can keep Rodgers healthy from elite pass rushers like Khalil Mack, who they face twice a year. We know they have one of the best perimeter players in the NFL, Davante Adams. Those are good things to know and great things to have. How far off is this offense? Well, they aren't great on 3rd down and the redzone. IMO, they are not far off.

Not enough credit has been given to the defense this year. It is the one with the most holes, but has been carrying this team all year. Without the defense keeping leads slim and games close this season would look a lot worse than it already has. The lack of offense this year has been detrimental to the defense.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
We don't know what Gute would have done in a trade.  Compensation would have been substantial for Aaron.  He could have made hay with all that draft capital.  At the time I was neutral.  As of now yes we should have traded him as I have yet to see Aaron regain his form after the collarbone.  Aaron hasn't been Aaron in 2 years.  He had the knee on the very first game of the season so it is really hard to judge which or both injuries are effecting his play.  As for the QB's in last years draft it's a little early to judge them don't you think? 

The point is mute we are locked into Aaron for the conceivable future.  I really hope he regains his form and proves his worth to the team going forward.  I haven't seen it yet.  His play this year is not horrible but clearly not what we are accustomed to.  Certainly not up to his contract.  Don't blame Aaron he showed a lot to play through his injury.  Not his fault just circumstances.  Big Rodger's fan he pissed my off last Sunday but I'll get over it.  Good guy to have as the face of the franchise.

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »
 It was shocking to see Rodgers come unglued like that and sad to see McCarthy in agony and defeat. I was mad as well thinking there's no way he should be carrying himself like that. But, after thinking about it, he knew what was at stake and lost it when he realized it couldn't be stopped. I don't blame him for losing control.

Brady has his hissy fits, Big Ben has his media mishaps. I'm just looking forward to Rodgers stepping onto the field next year with that chip back on his shoulder. All this negative media may have a silver lining.