September 20, 2018, 02:11:53 AM

Author Topic: Bears waive Sitton  (Read 1480 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Bears waive Sitton
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
The bears had an $8m option which they failed to pick up.

We can try to sign him.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Bears waive Sitton
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
Think he has another year left in him.  Probably to proud and pissed off to sign with the Packers tho.  Still a good player.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
He's only 31, is durable, and knows the system. The only question is, how much would he want? Because unless the Packers offer him a competitive contract, he'll go elsewhere. And there is already a cap rich franchise who might have their eye on him:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/2/20/17033932/jacksonville-jaguars-sign-josh-sitton
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
There’s some bad blood between Sitton and MM, and he’s a polarizing figure in the locker room, so IMO, it’s unlikely GB brings him back.  Is he still a top five guard in the league, that’s up for debate I suppose.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
Not sure what he's got left physically, or what his market will be.  But he's a smart player.  I think pending his health evals, he's maybe got a good, solid year left (or more). 

As I noted in the Burnett thread, obviously every FA has a price at which he's good value, and a price where he's not; I have no clue where that falls for Sitton. 

But I think there's a fair chance that he might still be a better football player than either Justin McCray or Jahri Evans, if his back is reasonably OK.  Evans will be 35, and who knows if he even wants to play.  McCray is strong enough and healthy enough; not sure if he's quick enough for pass protection.  Hopefully he is, and like Taylor kind of settles in as a strong player, and a powerful run-game blocker without being a problem in pass.  Guess that's for Guti to evaluate. 

Not sure re MM and Sitton.  But I think a coach's job is to work with different personalities and win with different personalities.  *IF* Sitton actually made sense football-wise, not sure it would be a good thing for MM to be vetoing a player who might be able to help you win?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
Evans playing days should be over, that tank is empty.

As for Sitton, he is an interesting option. Just think he tried to pull a powerplay on the Packers to get a new contract before his release last time and that surely left a bad taste in the mouth of all envolved. In all likelihood that ship has sailed.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
Yeah, maybe.  I'm just thinking that there probably aren't that many super-bowl-possible teams looking for a guard.  And that Sitton is a pretty smart, tenacious guy who's shown himself to be a pretty good player if his back and legs aren't totally shot.  (Maybe they are, beats me.) 

Just think it's a shame if "tastes in the mouth" get in the way of trying to assemble a championship roster.  Think MM should be man enough, and interested in winning enough, where **IF** Sitton could help them stabilize the line and contribute to competing for a championship, some little "bad taste in mouth" past shouldn't really matter much.  Or be a showstopper that prevents you from improving your football team. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »
Evans playing days should be over, that tank is empty.

As for Sitton, he is an interesting option. Just think he tried to pull a powerplay on the Packers to get a new contract before his release last time and that surely left a bad taste in the mouth of all envolved. In all likelihood that ship has sailed.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Packers-offensive-position-grades-for-2017-season-114822445

Jahri Evans was a strong free-agent addition for the Packers and they hope to bring him back in 2018.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:30:44 PM by dannobanano »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
Yeah, maybe.  I'm just thinking that there probably aren't that many super-bowl-possible teams looking for a guard.  And that Sitton is a pretty smart, tenacious guy who's shown himself to be a pretty good player if his back and legs aren't totally shot.  (Maybe they are, beats me.) 

Just think it's a shame if "tastes in the mouth" get in the way of trying to assemble a championship roster.  Think MM should be man enough, and interested in winning enough, where **IF** Sitton could help them stabilize the line and contribute to competing for a championship, some little "bad taste in mouth" past shouldn't really matter much.  Or be a showstopper that prevents you from improving your football team.

Well, the Bears didn't pick up his $8M option, and he didn't tell them he was willing to renegotiate, so it tells me Josh thinks he's worth more than what GB can afford.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
I could see the Cowboys make a run for Sitton. It's one of the few teams where he could start, make a difference, has a chance to make the playoffs, and collect some cash. BTW the Jags would fit that as well.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
31 and with a bad back. If his contract is small enough, give it a try. Although I think that ship has sailed.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:55:18 AM »
31 and with a bad back. If his contract is small enough, give it a try. Although I think that ship has sailed.

I agree Scott, that ship has sailed. For all that fans might think that both parties could be professional enough to work together again, I don't see that. What I see is that Sitton is not happy with the Packers org and will not want to come back, and the Packers will not want him back. Once you see talk surfacing about Sitton as a distraction and potential problem in the locker room (which must have come from the coaches/players originally) he is never likely to return.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
I could see the Cowboys make a run for Sitton. It's one of the few teams where he could start, make a difference, has a chance to make the playoffs, and collect some cash. BTW the Jags would fit that as well.

I've read about JAX as a potential landing spot for JS as well.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »
I would be shocked if Sitton would come back.  If the things were true that were reported about his last season with the Packers, it would be hard to see him even wanting to come back.  He would have to go to RG with Taylor pretty much entrenched at LG.  I would rather see a somewhat cheaper option at guard like a Josh Kline or take a chance on the injury prone Mewhort or Pugh.