December 18, 2018, 08:47:50 AM

Author Topic: Denver wants to trade simian  (Read 1740 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Denver wants to trade simian
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »
Obviously Denver thinks they're getting another QB in fa or the draft. Or both. This is an indicator of their draft plans.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Denver wants to trade simian
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:58 PM »
Forget Siemian. Get Oswieler. He's a UFA, and would be a dependable backup, probably in the range of $6 million/year. Too much? Its all relative. That is what you pay for a good backup. And we've seen what a competent backup can do for a team. And what an incompetent backup can do. The Packers are reinventing themselves. If that includes a vet backup who at least gives us hope, its worth it to me. And hopefully to the Packers front office.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:58:50 AM »
Obviously Denver thinks they're getting another QB in fa or the draft. Or both. This is an indicator of their draft plans.

Simian ? You're monkeying with us, aren't you  :)
(it's Siemian)
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Simian ? You're monkeying with us, aren't you  :)
(it's Siemian)

A small misspelling is no reason to go ape.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
Forget Siemian. Get Oswieler. He's a UFA, and would be a dependable backup, probably in the range of $6 million/year. Too much? Its all relative. That is what you pay for a good backup. And we've seen what a competent backup can do for a team. And what an incompetent backup can do. The Packers are reinventing themselves. If that includes a vet backup who at least gives us hope, its worth it to me. And hopefully to the Packers front office.

With all the other needs the Packers have, spending this kind of money on a backup QB may require cutting Cobb, Nelson, and Matthews.

Maybe Rodgers will give GB a hometown discount on his next contract so they can afford a quality backup?
 sarcasm

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
With all the other needs the Packers have, spending this kind of money on a backup QB may require cutting Cobb, Nelson, and Matthews.

Maybe Rodgers will give GB a hometown discount on his next contract so they can afford a quality backup?
 sarcasm

Thats the problem. Everyone wants a good backup who can step in and keep the team humming if AR goes down. But pay for him? Perish the thought! And exactly why should Rodgers take less money so he can have a decent backup? I realize you were being sarcastic, but this continuing idea that the players  should sacrifice for the team, while once the player declines, you dump them like they've done something terrible. After all, there are some on here who want to trade AR to Cleveland for some draft choices. Because obviously the team owes no loyalty to him. And, as long as we're on the subject, why should the Packers have to lose three players to sign one player? Their salary cap situation is about average, and there are plenty of ways to accomodate that kind of contract without getting rid of players who could still help the team.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
What happens at backup QB will be telling.  Does Gute go with the continued Hundley fiasco?  Does he draft a new QB project for MM?  Does he go for a veteran retread? You wont get anyone who thinks they have a future to sit behind Rodgers.  You need a half decent loser like a Sanchez, Tavarious Jackson, Christian Ponder or the like.  None of those guys will do much, but they wont cost much either.  My guess is McCarthy for some reason will want to stay with Hundley, and will sell Gute on keeping him.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
My guess is McCarthy for some reason will want to stay with Hundley, and will sell Gute on keeping him.

Stick with a guy who couldn't score a single TD in four home games?

Apparently I think more highly of McCarthy than you do.

Time will tell.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
Quote from: marklawrence
link=topic=7162.msg183952#msg183952 date=1519527850
My guess is McCarthy for some reason will want to stay with Hundley, and will sell Gute on keeping him.

Stick with a guy who couldn't score a single TD in four home games?

Apparently I think more highly of McCarthy than you do.

Time will tell.

Here we go, Lawrence.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/mike-mccarthy-brett-hundley-wasnt-ready-but-i-still-believe-in-him/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:20:21 AM by The GM »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were ready after one TC.

Hundley wasn't ready after four TCs. Nor after eight starts.

I believe in the Easter Bunny, but I wouldn't want him to start at QB.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were ready after one TC.

Hundley wasn't ready after four TCs. Nor after eight starts.

I believe in the Easter Bunny, but I wouldn't want him to start at QB.

Don't want to see him either.  Like ever again.  He had his shot and completely blew it.  Guess MM was trying to stand behind him.  Dunno why.  He could have said Hundley needs to step it up or something.  The guy was horrible.  A QB has to be able to throw the ball and read a defense.  He couldn't do either.   Some have been saying  he's fine as a back up.  Sorry not seeing it.  He flat out sucked.  The Packers better get this addressed before next season. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
I don't see it as necessary to spend $5M-$6M-$7M for a veteran backup QB.

Here's the current APY for the following QB's:

Brock Osweiler - $775,000
T J Yates - $775,000
Tom Savage - $630,146
Matt Barkley - $775,000
Blaine Gabbert - $855,000
Chase Daniel - $900,000
Josh Johnson - $900,000
Tyler Bray - $962,500

Surely one of these UFA - QB's could fill in better than Hundley, and at a price that won't break the bank for GB.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency