December 18, 2018, 09:07:58 AM

Author Topic: Gute says negotiations are ongoing with Aaron and progress has been made.  (Read 1202 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
In 2013 Rodgers signed a five-year, $110 million deal that made him the highest-paid player in the NFL. It included a $35 million signing bonus and $62.5 million in the first three years of the deal. That contract was an extension, so Aaron will be a free agent in 2020.

Aaron's next contract will also most likely be an extension, so he's likely to be signed for five more years, through 2025. He's 34 now, so in 2025 he will be 41 for most of the year, turning 42 in December 2025.

I expect his contract will be about $145m, 5yrs, $29m/yr, $40m bonus, perhaps $75m guaranteed. Or perhaps 4 years, $116m, $29m/yr, $35m bonus, $60m guaranteed.

I have to say I'm a bit nervous about signing a 34 year old QB with 13 screws in his shoulder. Aaron says he wants to play into his 40s, and I imagine that is indeed what he wants, but will be still be a good QB? Will he manage to play a significant number of games each year? Aikman and Young still had it, but their health precluded playing further.

I'm a little confused by this, as I figured he'd be signed to an extension about a year from now. But Gute has been clear, he wants to sign Aaron "sooner rather than later." Ian Rapaport says the contract is not currently close.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:38:26 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Gute says negotiations are ongoing with Aaron and progress has been made.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
In 2013 Rodgers signed a five-year, $110 million deal that made him the highest-paid player in the NFL. It included a $35 million signing bonus and $62.5 million in the first three years of the deal. That contract was an extension, so Aaron will be a free agent in 2020.

Aaron's next contract will also most likely be an extension, so he's likely to be signed for five more years, through 2025. He's 34 now, so in 2025 he will be 41 for most of the year, turning 42 in December 2025.

I expect his contract will be about $145m, 5yrs, $29m/yr, $40m bonus, perhaps $75m guaranteed. Or perhaps 4 years, $116m, $29m/yr, $35m bonus, $60m guaranteed.

I have to say I'm a bit nervous about signing a 34 year old QB with 13 screws in his shoulder. Aaron says he wants to play into his 40s, and I imagine that is indeed what he wants, but will be still be a good QB? Will he manage to play a significant number of games each year? Aikman and Young still had it, but their health precluded playing further.

I'm a little confused by this, as I figured he'd be signed to an extension about a year from now. But Gute has been clear, he wants to sign Aaron "sooner rather than later." Ian Rapaport says the contract is not currently close.

Of course Gute wants it done quick, he wants to know how much he'll have to play with in free agency, or at least have an idea of how to approach FA this year and coming years.  It would be in Rodgers best interest to wait and see what Brees and Cousins get IMO.  There's always risk with any of these QBs and putting out huge dollars, its the nature of the beast.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
Rodgers and his agent will slowplay this deal. The price only go's up with time, it is understandable that the Packers would want to speed the deal ahead of a Cousins deal. The Cousins deal will reset the QB market and the Rodgers camp will try to reset it again post Cousins.

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »
I'd be nervous if we all hadn't seen Rodgers throw the ball before a game last December. And he was really throwing it well. I believe Rodgers is the least of our worries. The right side of the O-Line, Nelson or Cobb, and the ongoing disaster that the Packers call their Defense. I'm pretty sure Rodgers will sign a contract that won't hurt the team too badly. I think he understands that the more he makes, the less the team has to improve.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
Personally I would just have waited until next year.  Agree with concerns posted by Scott.  Aaron could get injured again.  The collar bone injury could shorten his career.  A number of things could happen to make this less than a sure thing.  I guess if they can work it out so both sides are protected fine.  But the Packers should exercise some caution so if things go south it doesn't sink the franchise. 

In all honesty I think Rodgers and the Packers are going to have a great season next year.  The recent shakeups should bear fruit.  There will be a sense of urgency.  Maybe that's why Gute wants it done now.  If the price goes up it won't be by much IMO.  I would have preferred that they wait until perhaps the middle of next season when Aaron has proven himself after the injury.

Whatever they are probably doing the right thing they know better than I do.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
I believe Rodgers is the least of our worries. The right side of the O-Line, Nelson or Cobb, and the ongoing disaster that the Packers call their Defense.

This team is not one player away. We're more like two game-changers and four solid contributors away - more like six guys. I really don't see how this can be turned around in one year.

Three years ago all we needed to do was beat the seahawks and we were in. Today we have to contend with the Rams, queens, Eagles, Saints being arguably better than us, and the seahawks, falcons, and panthers pretty much as good as us. The rule in the NFL is either you're getting better or you're getting worse, there's no standing still. Well we got worse, because several other teams got better.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
This team is not one player away. We're more like two game-changers and four solid contributors away - more like six guys. I really don't see how this can be turned around in one year.

Three years ago all we needed to do was beat the seahawks and we were in. Today we have to contend with the Rams, queens, Eagles, Saints being arguably better than us, and the seahawks, falcons, and panthers pretty much as good as us. The rule in the NFL is either you're getting better or you're getting worse, there's no standing still. Well we got worse, because several other teams got better.

New England does it year after year with role players and a great QB. And as far as suddenly there are multiple contenders, this is sture every year. The team the Packers need to beat are the Vikes,and right now, it looks like they're gambling at QB. They seem to be content to let Bridgewater and Keenum test FA. So, they're going to depend on Bradford? Or are they going to try to outbid the Jets (projected salary cap room of $90 million) who have indicated they're committed to signing Cousins. Eagles? Are they legit, or one year wonders, ala Atlanta? Saints? Same question. The NFC is wide open, with a lot of good teams, no doubt. And there is no doubt in my mind that the Packers are in the mix.

Now, what is missing from "two difference makers and four solid contributors away" is the development of the younger players, the draft and free agency, and, not to be taken lightly, the changes in defensive scheming. We've been unhappy with Capers for years. Fine, gone. What can PEttine do with these players?

Now, as far as AR's contract, the idea he has "thirteen screws in his shoulder" is debatable. Is this medically limiting as far as throwing the football? Will it alter his motion, or limit his strength, or affect his accuracy? Good questions. And you can bet the Packers know the answers, as much as humanly/medically possible, or they wouldn't be so eager to re-sign him. And no, his yearly salary will probably be north of $30 million/year. The only question being, how will this be structured? And restructured, if necessary? After all, Favre once joked that his contract had been renegotiated and extended into the future so many times, his grandchildren would still be getting checks from the Packers.

This is the off season. Time for hope and excitement and anticipation. Put away the gloom and doom until the Packers lose a couple games in a row, or don't dominate "lesser teams like they should", simply "eking out wins against inferior opponents, which means when we play the good teams, we'll have no chance" that occurs every year, and is as predictable as a politician lying.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Now Aaron's camp say it will not happen until after Cousins signs.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Now Aaron's camp say it will not happen until after Cousins signs.

Smart move. Why should the best player in the game be paid less than an overhyped wannabe who has never won a playoff game?

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Some of these QB deals are just foolish.  So Cousins is going to be the highest paid QB?  The guy is an average starter please.  We'll see but have a hard time believing some team is even more stupid than SF.  Not directed at you Ricky.  Just think some of these deals are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:08:22 PM by scoremore »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Some of these QB deals are just foolish.  So Cousins is going to be the highest paid QB?  The guy is an average starter please.  We'll see but have a hard time believing some team is even more stupid than SF.  Not directed at you Ricky.  Just think some of these deals are ridiculous.

Absolutely. Which is why I called Cousins an "overhyped wannabe who has never won a playoff game". Too many teams chasing too few good QBs (not elite; not franchise; just good) means the market becomes overheated, and senseless. Let someone else overpay. Let the Packers invest in a proven winner who will make any team he's on better.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member

Absolutely. Which is why I called Cousins an "overhyped wannabe who has never won a playoff game". Too many teams chasing too few good QBs (not elite; not franchise; just good) means the market becomes overheated, and senseless. Let someone else overpay. Let the Packers invest in a proven winner who will make any team he's on better.

I wouldn't say it was foolish or senseless. Overheated is a much better description. Starting level QBs are just that much in demand (even if they are not that great). I don't think there is a single team in the league that wouldn't have Aaron Rodgers as the starter, if they had him, lucky Packers.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Reports are the queens have offered cousins $91m / 3yrs / fully guaranteed.

And word is the Jets are offering more.

My estimate for Aaron is looking low.