May 22, 2018, 10:41:28 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 1950 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
Tully

This is a movie about, um, it's about. . .  uh, ok, I'm not sure what it was about. Tully doesn't exactly have a plot. It's about how it feels to be a mother with a new infant and two other young kids. one of whom is difficult. And to be overwhelmed. At least that's what I think it's about. I'm better with physics and engineering than this feeling stuff. Anyway, if you have kids I imagine your wife will like it and you will survive it. If you don't have kids I can't imagine how you would relate. It's highly rated at rotten tomatoes, but that has to be nearly all women voting.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:51:31 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
New movies this week are Breaking In, a suspense flick which looked implausible and so-so in the previews and is getting poor rotten tomatoes rankings. I'm not seeing it. And Life of the Party, an implausible comedy. I'm not big on comedies, I'm really, really, really not big on melissa mccarthy, and it's getting low rotten tomatoes rankings. I'm not seeing it. Not even for "free."

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Overboard

this is a remake of the 1987 movie starring Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. In the original, Goldie is a rich b**ch living on a yacht; Kurt is a working man who comes aboard to fix some things and gets treated like dirt. Shortly afterwards Goldie falls off the yacht and washes ashore with amnesia. Kurt finds her, brings her home and turns her into a house keeper for him and his kids. Over the course of a month Goldie learns to cook, clean, be a mom, and everyone falls in love. Then she regains her memory, but. . .

Here we are, 30 years later, and the world has changed. This time it's the guy who's the rich boorish waste of time, and Anna Ferrell who's the poor struggling single mom. Guy falls off boat, amnesia, Anna turns him into a housekeeper and leaves him alone with her three daughters. Well, at least he's not a muslim refugee.. . Of course, as per the standard female dream, her love turns him into the perfect mate.

The original works because Kurt and Goldie were genuinely gorgeous people who also happened to be way in love in real life.

The new one, not so much.

Rent it and fall asleep while your wife watches it. Learn to hold her hand even while you're asleep. Don't have a wife? These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along. . .

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
Deadpool 2

A fun romp of profanity and gratuitous sex and violence. Lots of references to of of other movies. A thin plot that's the delivery truck for the one liners. Not quit as good as the original.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Moviepass has changed again. I now get an e-ticket, a number which I show the clerk, and I no longer have to photograph anything. My moviepass card stays in my wallet, it seems I no longer need it. I still can't see a movie more than once.